Silent Hill Thread

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
LesserChozo

Silent Hill Thread

Postby LesserChozo » 01.13.11 10:53pm

Calling all Silent Hill fans! The franchise may actually be returning to its horrifying glory with Silent Hill: Downpour.

I know there are other Silent Hill fans on here, so come on out of the shadows and speak up. <3

Just got the latest issue of Game Informer(214) and it has a nice 6-page spread on the next Silent Hill.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
What's this? 2 3 4 5 6

I've played all the previous American releases, though I have yet to suffer all the way through Homecoming. From the looks of Downpour, however, we may be getting what we've been vying for. Harking back to the original, the game starts with a car crash, well a bus crash anyway. And what do you know? The game actually takes place in Silent Hill.

The story focuses on a man named Murphy. Murphy has a checkered past which lands him in prison. While being transported elsewhere, the prison bus goes off the road and crashes. Murphy appears to be the only survivor of the crash and he starts making his way through the woods to the nearest town.

Vatra, the Czech company producing this installment, has decided to follow SH2's lead with an isolated and wholly individual story. According to the article, although there will be plenty of tie-ins for the fans, Murphy's story has nothing to do with Allessa or The Order. So, they may have some references, but nothing pertinent to the main story.

As the trend seems to be lately, choice is a big part of the game. Apparently much more so, and more evident than the previous installments; even down to the clothes Murphy wears. Also, as the title suggests, water is a big part of the atmosphere. Early in the game the transition to the Other World, the traditional decrepit industrial world, is triggered by a kitchen sprinkler system. And just as James was stalked by Pyramid Head, Murphy is being stalked by a mysterious, electrically charged black fog. (LOST?)

This looks like an awesome game, so far. :awesome:
Last edited by LesserChozo on 09.30.11 9:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Re: Silent Hill: Downpour

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.14.11 9:49am

:thumbsup:

Right here man! I love Silent hill-except 5, fuck that shitty mess of a film rip off. I did not even play it >_<X

I am pretty excited for downpour, could you perhaps scan some images or share anything that is not on game sites that is in that mag?
I think it is cool that you are an prisoner, makes you sort of wonder what our new guy did? Either way he is most likely pretty messed up in the brain pan!
I think silent hill has a lot of potential as a series because it dose not have to be bound to a limited set of characters. They could seriously press some buttons.
I am unfortunately a desensitized person :'( and do not find the games scary as much as they are engaging deep stories that give me a lot to think about at the end of the day.

I am also excited for the new movie, i just watched Solomon Kane, to view some of the directors work. Also he answers some good questions on his blog about it.

If I had a fave game list Silent hill is right up there with Metroid, Chrono games, Team ICO, Silent hill, Legacy of Kain...the list goes on a bit, and I do not have a favorite game. This list is not in order. Sorry, this is off topic :AH:

Sh3,SH2,Sh4,SH,Sh0,ShSM.-This list is in order. Silent hill 3 is my fave for now.

I don't like FPS games much, but I also love the F.E.A.R games.

I will leave you with this for now, I am always (like Robot Unicorns) willing to talk Silent Hill.

:cookie:
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

SpareChange

Zeta Metroid

Postby SpareChange » 01.14.11 12:10pm

Is it Wii bound?

I like Silent Hill.

no....I love Silent Hill.
Wii U S/N: SpareChnge

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.14.11 1:01pm

No. Only on ps3/360 from what I have seen. I wonder if Shattered Memories did well? I don't normally look into those kinds of things.
I enjoyed SHSM, it was an interesting/different take on the way Silent hill could be viewed. Either way, the psychological profiling has made its imprint on the rest of the series and will return in downpour from what little I have read about the game. I just really hope Dan Licht can fill Akira Aamaoka's shoes...I feel optimistic so far about everything I have read and seen.

Also found this.

http://helldescent.com/2010/07/01/dan-l ... nt-hill-8/
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

kadosho

Alpha Metroid

Postby kadosho » 01.14.11 3:18pm

From 1-3, and the music. I did enjoy its unique take on "dark world".
But it was up to the player to decide, which was the "real one".

**the bunny forever stuck in my mind..
I didn't play 4 - the room, or Homecoming though.

LesserChozo

Re: Silent Hill Thread

Postby LesserChozo » 01.14.11 8:37pm

I changed this to the overall Silent Hill thread. I figure it would get to that point eventually. If a mod would like to merge the Shattered Memories thread with this one, that would be fine. Also, I scanned the article for you guys, but I strongly recommend getting a copy for yourself.
[What you said]
Pretty much my feelings exactly. Are you my long lost twin?

I'm a bit of a completist, though, so I absolutely had to play Homecoming, but damn if I can't get into it. I managed to finish The Room before starting it, so I'm determined to finish SHH, before Downpour comes out. No word on when that will be yet.

I played a demo of FEAR once. I suck at FPS, but it was really cool.

Anyway, back on topic, the article never mentioned anything about the franchise staple, the radio, but maybe Murphy will find one in town. The screamers sound like terrifying enemies (no pun intended). Looks like Vatra is taking hints from each of the previous games, including Shattered Memories.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.15.11 10:30am

@ LesserChozo. Thanks for the scans Bro. :thumbsup: :cookie:

I really Really wanted to want to like Homecoming since I had a brand new PS3 at the time...The visuals looked cool to me and I even liked some of the abstract monster designs I had seen. Honestly, I think they tried too hard or something. I was OK (sort of) with Pyramid Head in movie. But he did not belong in that game, and he looked like the movie version :-? Also they pretty much stole a lot from Jacobs ladder...metroid games will at least change something a lot but you can feel the film reference, makes sense. However flat out copy paste the gurney scene from Jacobs ladder in there???

I will stop -_-;

I did try and get a copy this morning however could not find one...I will try later my dad might get it?

fear is not silent hill good, but it is completely different. I really suck at FPS, I feel like one of those animals with a walker when ever i play it, it adds to the tension for me. The AI is really good, I die a lot. but it is fun to get revenge! Unlike Silent hill you get to be a bit tactical. The silent hill games have turned me into a item hoarder when i play and I actually call it S.H.S-Silent Hill Syndrome. Any game I play where I have ammo or health pickups, I am always afraid to use what I have, even if it is senseless -_-;

When I first got to the end of SH3 (the first SH and survival horror game I played) I only had 3 rounds left of hand gun ammo >_<

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 01.15.11 4:11pm

Any game I play where I have ammo or health pickups, I am always afraid to use what I have, even if it is senseless
I'm exactly the same way. :D

Yeah, Pyramid Head was probably the biggest complaint about Homecoming. I've used this analogy before; Homecoming is like the geeky little kid copying what everyone else is doing in a desperate attempt to fit in, but instead ends up looking like a complete loser. The gurney scene from Jacob's Ladder is fairly popular, though. Dementium: The Ward used it also.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.16.11 10:39am

I was never really mad about homecoming, just a bit disappointed. The first four games really set up something great and showed what diversity the idea of Silent Hill had. Shattered Memories sort of blew me away though. I did not expect it to turn out the way it did. The whole game was a good "What if silent hill was like this" experiment! :) The repetitive monsters really sucked though, they did change lightly but I am used to full on psychological nightmares.

Yeah I am getting better at item hording in games. Except for Survival horror games.

I am really excited about downpour though. After reading through what you posted, I have had all sorts of thoughts, it is hard not to get my hopes up.
Same goes for the new movie. I was wondering just on the way home if Douglas was going to be in it and who would play him. I always sort of thought he looked like Jim Byrnes. Maybe he is too old now? Oh and Vincent!

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 01.16.11 10:58am

Considering how much they changed the story for the first movie, I'm hoping the sequel does not follow SH3 too much. I'm almost inclined to hope they change the character's name from Heather. There is only one in my heart, after all. <3 I mean SH3 has a great story as a jumping off point, but the first film has already established it's own mythology and I'd like to see more of that develop.

Back to Downpour. A lot of people in the SH forums have been talking about the subway system. I'm not sure they understand the setting, though; it's a whole new area of the town, and a massive one at that. I suggested over there that given the prominence of choice, I wonder if the subway is only an option and choosing to use it or not affects the story.

I remember in the first game there were whole sections of story I managed to skip over in my first playthrough. The subway may bypass certain areas that might be important, but not essential. A nice throwback to the original.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.17.11 3:34pm

On the films: From what I read on the directors Blog, he acknowledged the story differences/changes in the first film and said he wanted to write the script with those changes in place While keeping wherever he wants/needs to use from SH3. I have not read anything about changing her name her name. He has said though he dose not want to end the movie for a direct sequel. Lets be honest the first one was set up that way. He said he hopes they make original stories for the Silent hill films in the future, that still revolve around the town. He just wanted to end the story the first film started, and using SH3 made sense to him.

On Subways/Downpour: Yeah, the subways do sound interesting, so far it sounds like a way to sort of teleport, and save time, since the map is supposed to be pretty big. I am glad that we don't have to use it though, since there are side quests, you could be right. Not backtracking could mean missed opportunity for cool stuffs! I like to take my time in games, and I really hope this one has as much replay value as Sh 1-4 ten hours is not very long for me, and I could almost beat it in one sitting.

I did not know you could skip parts in the first game?

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 01.17.11 4:34pm

After playing it in one sitting, I think that Shattered Memories could transition to film pretty well. It was a rather cinematic-esque experience, and the ending was just tailored for that sort of twisty movie ending that leaves you going "A-ha! Now I get it! ...Huh..."

Yeah, the rest of the Silent Hill games are on my extensive list of games to play/finish.
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 01.17.11 7:00pm

Hold the horse man! If you have only played Shattered Memories, you are in for some fun times ahead! Have fun whenever you get there, let us know how it goes.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 01.17.11 7:12pm

I did not know you could skip parts in the first game?
There are some scenes that could be bypassed, particularly encounters with Kaufman. And if you neglect to acquire or use a certain item, Cybil dies. To get the best ending, you need to see everything, and save Cybil.

I missed about half the story on my first playthrough and got the worst ending. Good reason to play it again, though. <3

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 01.17.11 8:36pm

Hold the horse man! If you have only played Shattered Memories, you are in for some fun times ahead! Have fun whenever you get there, let us know how it goes.
If it's any consolation, I have played a little bit of 1 and 3 at various times. I have read up on the series (especially the events of 1 and 2), but alas, that which you don't play doesn't stick with you very well.

Also, I was horribly dismayed when I read up on the series and discovered that the whole thing wasn't about a mad scientist's sciencing getting out of hand. But I still find it all interesting, nonetheless.
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion