The Official Halo Series Thread (Games, Books, Movies, Etc)

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Re: The Official Halo Series Thread (Games, Books, Movies, E

Postby Luminoth Prime » 04.20.15 3:22pm

Oh wow, I think over time Halo itself has been inspired by Red vs Blue. First moving heads and now this crazy fast action.
Spartans actually always moved like that. Bungie just did a terrible job at portraying them in the games. 343, since Halo 4, has been trying to portray them for the supersoldiers they actually are.
Sorry I should have specified the games. I've read some of the written material and graphic novels. Halo Wars portrayed Spartans in an awesome way.

Unrelated but I'm hoping Halo 5 has playable Elites... Spartan circlejerks aren't fun on custom game multiplayer.
I wish Elites would be playable, but I don't think it will happen. There's fundamental differences between Elites and Spartans that, again, Bungie didn't portray well in the games. There are similarities, but Elites are actually larger and stronger than Spartan III's and maybe Spartan IV's (I'm not sure). Only Spartan II's can match them phsyically. In Halo 2 and 3, Elites were hunched over to make up for this discrepancy. In Halo: Reach, Elites were actually made to be different, but then they couldn't play within the same match unless it was Invasion or Custom Games.

So unless they bring Invasion or something back, playable Elites seems doubtful. But I wouldn't rule it out. I can see playable Elites returning sometime soon.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.20.15 3:43pm

Spartans actually always moved like that. Bungie just did a terrible job at portraying them in the games. 343, since Halo 4, has been trying to portray them for the supersoldiers they actually are.
er.. I don't feel that way.

Halo legends was the closest to this, and it wasn't quite to this level, close, but not quite, though this could be the difference in tech. Spartans to me never seemed "Samus style smash through meters of metal". Not from the books, comics, or animation.
Even post Halo 4 comics don't portray Spartans in this light, at least I found with Halo Escalation.
Important though to remember that his is a trailer, an advertisement trailer.
here are similarities, but Elites are actually larger and stronger than Spartan III's and maybe Spartan IV's (I'm not sure)
They are.
Though Spartan III's, despite the "tougher training" are not physically superior to their S-II counter parts even when they are in a MJOLNIR.

By word of Frank O'connar, An S-IV in a GEN 2 Mjolnir is roughly physically equal to a S-II with a Mjonlir mk VI. Still doesn't make then better due too the S-II's being hand picked for being perfect specimens.

I also doubt Elite for regular play. Halo 5 multiplayer seems to be still focused on the S-IV's.. while they may or may not be physically capable of keeping up with Elite, the size difference is still there, which could generate issues.
I agree, at best we'll get Halo: Reach style gameplay for Elites.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 04.20.15 4:05pm

Even with Reach's Elites implemented I think it'll still be fair since Elites were huge targets compared to the smaller Spartans. I just really want Elites back. Ever since Halo 2 being in an Elite clan was one of the funnest gaming experiences for me and I really want to do more of it but Elites are often shafted somehow either by being unavailable in most gametypes(Reach), having crappy weapons/vehicles vs UNSC counterparts(Reach, Wars), or not being in the game at all(4). We worked with our crappy Plasma Repeaters and paper mache Banshees and that was kind of fun but doing custom game wars where everyone is a Spartan is boring.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 04.20.15 4:22pm

I'm a little out of date on the lore, but I'd agree with both Luminoth Prime and Xerkxes in that the games never did a good job of making the Chief and his fellow Spartan II's feel/play like super soldiers, but at the same time most of the expanded material never portrayed them in such a hyperbolic manner as this latest trailer. I have no idea how much sense this new mechanical direction makes with regards to Spartan IV's, but hopefully it at least plays well.

Additionally, concerning Spartan III's, unless I'm mistaken they aren't proper Spartans, correct? Ghosts of Onyx made them out to be expendable emergency child soldiers put through a crash-course Spartan program and outfitted with bargain bin power armor. They were a blunt force weapon, deployed en mass to overwhelm, and individually not significantly better than most well trained veterans. All but a scant few died by books end, and none of them ever really measured up to their predecessors. Given the secrecy and circumstances surrounding the project I always assumed they were Spartans in name alone, authorized out of desperation and personal vendetta against Halsey. And also because ONI are a bunch of imbecilic pricks, which seems to be the primary reason for most of the poor decisions on humanity's part in the lore. I have no clue what happens to the rest after the book, or what other expanded works - if any - iterated on the concept. Spartan III's always struck me as unnecessarily egregious; more an extra gratuitous take on the suffering of the Spartan II's, which was itself already plenty gratuitous. Seems so much like the same basic concept but with the angst cranked up to 11. A very silly direction, it was.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 04.20.15 4:51pm

If I remember correctly, Spartan Is were the prototype which Johnson was and why he has a disease thing, Spartan IIs were the super heavy duty put all our money into abducting kids and training them and giving them cyber implants and crap, Spartan IIIs are basically what you said, and Spartan IVs are pretty much marines in Spartan armor.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.20.15 5:09pm

Even with Reach's Elites implemented I think it'll still be fair since Elites were huge targets compared to the smaller Spartans.
That wouldn't be fair to the Elites. They'll have to change the mechanics.

Except for training (which has zero barring on gameplay.) S-IV's are superior to the S-IIIs.
Slightly better shields (superior recharge rate), with the same amount of time to get full shields back as an Elite. Passive health regen (S-III's didn't have, only mk VI and up had that due to bio-foam injectors built into the armor), which was one of the advantages Elites had over spartans.

Additionally, concerning Spartan III's, unless I'm mistaken they aren't proper Spartans, correct?
I'd say only the S-II's were really "proper Spartans", being the closest to historical spartans.
The other 4 projects (debateably 5), are only Spartans in that of the origins of their augmentations and gear.
If I remember correctly, Spartan Is were the prototype which Johnson was and why he has a disease thing
It was originally called Project Orion. It wasn't until Halsey start the Spartan Project that Project Orion was later named to the Spartan I project, to pay homage to their attempt and suffering.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 06.12.15 6:04am

The Spartan IIIs are close to the level of IIs, designed more for suicide missions according to the books.

It looks like in Halo 5, if you play the campaign in co op mode, in Master Chief's levels you can play as members of Blue Team from the books... omg I am stoked. They are actually bring Blue Team into the games.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.15.15 1:40pm

For those who didn't watch the Microsoft conference, here's the new Halo 5 stuff:

I'm a big Halo fan, am that was pretty damn exiting. I seemed to notice what looked like a new looking Phantom and Spirit dropships during the gameplay section. The shotgun seems as if it has... more range? The shotgun was godly in CE, but after that, it seems as if someone or some group of people is going out of their way to make the shotgun ineffective. Hopefully Halo 5 will change that. The Plasma Caster looks cool, but I'm not sure yet if it's just a Concussion Rifle by another name or not. Anyway, still hyped for Halo 5, this reveal is just icing on the cake. What did you guys think? Opinion's on the Microsoft conference as a whole is fine by me, I thought it was pretty damn good all things considered.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.04.15 8:52am

Sorry I never responded, it all looks fantastic. I really can't wait for 5. I just got my XB1 last night, the Halo Bundle. Can't wait to finally see Nightfall.

I also started listening to the Hunt the Truth radio broadcasts... Oh my god they're fantastic. It's like Halo meets House of Cards. All about a reporter finding conspiracies and trying to unravel the truth behind MC. It's addicting.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.29.15 6:01pm

Continuing on from our general play thread: The series lost me with Halo 4 and the sudden shift in focus away from the Covenant. The games do nothing to highlight the civil war brewing a midst the alien factions, nor the UNSC's reaction to the conflict. Instead the series jumps to an entirely new adversary, The Forerunners, only not really. In fact they're crazy cyborg-hybrids of ancient hyper-advanced humans because reasons, used as fancy guard dogs by the sole surviving Forerunner who also happens to be an insane mutant and one-off villain.

Bungie was slowly giving the Covenant a voice and identity, something not typically seen in scifi with prominent alien antagonists, then 343i curves hard left, dumps all that, and shoves in a new antagonistic force with little explanation and nothing to connect with. From what I've seen Halo 5 does no better with the continued use of the Prometheans.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 10.29.15 7:55pm

The Forerunners aren't interesting at all. All that's left of them are machine servants that are programmed to kill whatever touches their crap. I thought we'd get a game where you play as the Covenant and attack human planets like say Harvest or even Reach from the other side's point of view. Maybe even show how the Thel did business before he became the Arbiter. Maybe go further back and make a game showing how the Covenant started. Then it can skip around years and show the history of the Covenant from its conception to modern day Halo. Quell the grunt rebellion, participate in the taming of the hunters. That would have been awesome and opened up so much more possibilities for aliens having importance in the series other than things Chief shot or will shoot later on. But no. Elites are removed from gameplay and it's super Spartanfest all day every day. Now that Spartans are everywhere and they can be made so easily they aren't as special anymore. There should be a clear difference in both skill and power between Chief and Locke so why did he and his team think he'd stand a chance against the real deal?

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 10.29.15 10:37pm

343 in general has completely annihilated the lore since they took over. The very concept of Spartan IV's is absolutely pants-on-head retarded. Especially annoying about it is that they expect people to believe that a group of shitty standard soldiers and one pretty good ODST are suddenly the equal to people trained from birth to be killing machines, complete with cybernetic enhancements. They also really don't drive home the humongous stature of Spartan IIs, in Reach George towered over all his squadmates. In Halo 4 the SIVs were barely shorter than MC.
Master Chief shouldn't talk nearly as much as they make him talk. Why did they give him a personality? The whole point was that the player projected themselves onto him. They took this to its logical conclusion point by having the protagonist use the player's multiplayer armor in Reach. Now we're suddenly Master Chief again and he won't shut up.
Also they killed The Rookie.
Hello.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.31.15 6:03am

Continuing on from our general play thread: The series lost me with Halo 4 and the sudden shift in focus away from the Covenant. The games do nothing to highlight the civil war brewing a midst the alien factions, nor the UNSC's reaction to the conflict. Instead the series jumps to an entirely new adversary, The Forerunners, only not really. In fact they're crazy cyborg-hybrids of ancient hyper-advanced humans because reasons, used as fancy guard dogs by the sole surviving Forerunner who also happens to be an insane mutant and one-off villain.

Bungie was slowly giving the Covenant a voice and identity, something not typically seen in scifi with prominent alien antagonists, then 343i curves hard left, dumps all that, and shoves in a new antagonistic force with little explanation and nothing to connect with. From what I've seen Halo 5 does no better with the continued use of the Prometheans.
I don't like the direction they took with the Forerunners too much. I thought the Forerunners actually being ancient humans as depicted in the original games was cooler, but they did take it in some interesting and unique directions, particularly in the Forerunner trilogy books.

I thought Bungie was the one that all but brought the Covenant to an end in Halo 3? I also don't think that a Covenant civil war would be a good focus for a game. That's a step down from a genocidal war against humans, I'd think. If every game was literally the same thing, fighting the Covenant over and over, it'd get repetitive. We have to move on at some point. The fact that they existed at all post-Halo 3 was a remarkable effort.
343 in general has completely annihilated the lore since they took over. The very concept of Spartan IV's is absolutely pants-on-head retarded. Especially annoying about it is that they expect people to believe that a group of shitty standard soldiers and one pretty good ODST are suddenly the equal to people trained from birth to be killing machines, complete with cybernetic enhancements. They also really don't drive home the humongous stature of Spartan IIs, in Reach George towered over all his squadmates. In Halo 4 the SIVs were barely shorter than MC.
Master Chief shouldn't talk nearly as much as they make him talk. Why did they give him a personality? The whole point was that the player projected themselves onto him. They took this to its logical conclusion point by having the protagonist use the player's multiplayer armor in Reach. Now we're suddenly Master Chief again and he won't shut up.
Also they killed The Rookie.
What's the problem with Spartan IV's? They're the best soldiers from various parts of the UNSC military given augmentations, MJOLNIR armor, and some new training. Seems like a logical progression of the program, avoiding the whole horrible child slavery thing and all. The Spartan IV's, let alone Osiris, are not composed of standard soldiers. Osiris in particular incorporates the best soldiers from four separate branches of the UNSC (ONI, Navy, Army, ODST), and other Spartan IV's are equally talented. Definitely not as hardcore as a Spartan II, to be sure, but the MJOLNIR Gen 2 armor makes them equal in power, at the least. Obviously Spartan II's are superior, but most of them are dead. Only five remain, not counting the legitimately MIA Gray Team and original Red Team.

Master Chief talks all the time in the books and comics. Halo 4 and 5 are just making him more consistent with his actual character. Besides, Bungie had been trying to flesh him out more even back in Halo 2, as they felt he was too robotic in Halo CE. And even in CE he had some personality.

I don't like that they killed the Rookie, either. But other cool characters have died in the past, so it's pretty inescapable. Even Chief has to die at some point.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion