Axiom Verge - A One Man Indie MetroidVania

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Apothem

Axiom Verge - A One Man Indie MetroidVania

Postby Apothem » 04.18.12 6:28am

Axiom Verge, as the topic indicates, is a still far off pixel art MetroidVania title, planned for PC and XBLA, solely developed by Tom Happ of Petroglyph Games in his spare time.

Taking more than a little inspiration from games such as Metroid and (apparently) Contra it's sure to feature gameplay that fans of either series can enjoy.

Just take a look at the teaser trailer, checkout the site and ogle the beautiful art direction and soundtrack:

In this lull between Metroid titles, with the series fate as of yet unknown, it's nice to have such inspired games to look forward to.

Naner

Dark Samus

Re: Axiom Verge - A One Man Indie MetroidVania

Postby Naner » 04.18.12 6:50am

That really does look like a Controid game. Even some of the tiles look like they're from Zero Mission. Looks very interesting! Nice find!
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.18.12 9:51am

Mr gripe:

The track they used for the trailer sounds kind of uninspired - the NES sounds coming in at :30, with the thumping techno beats don't really mix - I would prefer if they go one direction or the other, and since it's clear this isn't supposed to be a straight-up NES game, they should have had a bit more updated soundtrack.

Again, this is only a trailer piece, but I just hope the whole soundtrack isn't like that; however, I am sure most review sites will praise the music!

What I do like is the visual aesthetic of the game - very Contra-esque, with Metroid tiling. Hopefully it'll be a fun experience.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.18.12 10:08am

Thanks for this, Apothem, I did a headline on it. I don't go to many game news sites lately, tbh. I just don't have the time.
The game looks really old-school and awesome. My only gripe is the animation on the dude is rather basic, but I can't really expect much from a 1-developer game.
From the trailer, I am assuming that the gameplay will be move with the left stick and aim with the right stick, with R-trigger for shoot. D-pad will be change weapons, perhaps? Or maybe a shoulder button? I like this kind of control. It worked for Shadow Complex, and it will work for this game. It allows you to shoot straight down without having to jump.

EDIT: Tom actually visited our old boards a long time ago and told us about Orn, his Metroid clone that works on a GBA Emulator. So he's definitely been to the MDb on occasion. ;)
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Daya

Gamma Metroid

Postby Daya » 04.18.12 12:27pm

Oh, it's by same guy that made Orn?

first day for me.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.18.12 4:30pm

Hopefully I can upgrade my PC to play this because I won't buy an x-box >_<X
It is sad that so many good games have exclusive release? Oh well, It dose not come out until next year, that gives me plenty of time to upgrade if I need to.

I do not know much about PC gaming, I can handle GBA emulators very well. Do you think I will have to upgrade to play this? Any advice would be nice. I am really exited! This game looks like exactly what I have been waiting to play for some time! :thumbsup:
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 04.18.12 5:48pm

Mr gripe:

The track they used for the trailer sounds kind of uninspired - the NES sounds coming in at :30, with the thumping techno beats don't really mix - I would prefer if they go one direction or the other, and since it's clear this isn't supposed to be a straight-up NES game, they should have had a bit more updated soundtrack.

Again, this is only a trailer piece, but I just hope the whole soundtrack isn't like that; however, I am sure most review sites will praise the music!

What I do like is the visual aesthetic of the game - very Contra-esque, with Metroid tiling. Hopefully it'll be a fun experience.
IMO I think they go very well together.
Game looks very cool. I really like to mix of the metroid feel with contra. Metra? Really dont like the term controid....

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

AxiomVerge

Mochtroid

Postby AxiomVerge » 04.18.12 7:45pm

Hey folks, thanks for watching my trailer. I'm surprised anybody even knows what Orn is!

Axiom Verge will be for XBLIG and Steam, so no need for a GBA or Emulator. :)

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.18.12 7:48pm

OH hey there, Tom! Thanks for gracing us with your presence! :D It's an honor to have you here. Hell yeah we remember Orn! Really looking forward to playing AV!
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 04.19.12 4:39am

I do not know much about PC gaming, I can handle GBA emulators very well. Do you think I will have to upgrade to play this? Any advice would be nice. I am really exited! This game looks like exactly what I have been waiting to play for some time! :thumbsup:
Probably not. What's your processor? The game isn't video-intensive, so you'll probably do fine without a GPU. Of course, the performance might vary depending on how the game was developed (Minecraft, for example, is very resource-intensive, despite its simple graphics). Since Tom himself is here, he might be able to give us an idea of the minimum specs required.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

AxiomVerge

Mochtroid

Postby AxiomVerge » 05.01.12 10:56am

Hey there, sorry for the delay. I think it should run fine on anything newer than, say, 7 years old. The card needs to be at least shader model 3, which I think has been around since 2005 or so.

YamI

Metroid Queen

Postby YamI » 05.09.12 10:01pm

Hey folks, thanks for watching my trailer. I'm surprised anybody even knows what Orn is!

Axiom Verge will be for XBLIG and Steam, so no need for a GBA or Emulator. :)
Steam will rue the day it caused viruses...RUE IT!!

Metroidvaniac

Hatchling

Postby Metroidvaniac » 03.30.15 10:38pm

This comes out for Ps4 tomorrow.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.31.15 9:54am

It's also due out on PC sometime in May.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.31.15 4:55pm

Never seen this. Looks pretty cool actually.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion