Axiom Verge - A One Man Indie MetroidVania

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Re: Axiom Verge - A One Man Indie MetroidVania

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 05.04.15 12:46am

Got the game today and have been playing it for a few hours. I like it so far, although there's a jump that's just a few pixels to high for me to go back to the starter area and look for an upgrade or two. I'm not sure if that's unintentional or not, but it's a bit aggravating for me that I can't go back no matter how much I'd like to look for a health upgrade or something now that I can jump higher. There's plenty of weapon variety, that's for sure. considering how large the space for weapons are n my inventory is, I'd say there's A LOT of them. Hard to give a solid verdict after only putting a few hours into it, but I'm loving it so far.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 05.11.15 11:23pm

I'm going through the full version of the game right now, and you should expect a review from me on the site. I'm playing the Steam version since I don't own a PS4. It's quite challenging and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

PS I'm in the credits. :awesome: :geemer: (I was a playtester for Tom)
Attachments
AV_Credits_IE.jpg
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

GPRidley

Mochtroid

Postby GPRidley » 05.13.15 5:17am

I am pants-wettingly excited for May 14th. I knew I wanted to play this when I saw this IGN video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHn100ChFBY

I was hooked when he complained about having a map that didn't make it clear where you needed to go, confusing and labyrinthian environments, necessary backtracking and a lack of fast travel. He was also upset that he had to read some ninja-gaiden style text boxes.

It was very nice of him to describe the features I was looking for in a game, even if the descriptions were structured as complaints. And here I was, thinking IGN had lost all relevance years ago!

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 05.13.15 8:36am

I am pants-wettingly excited for May 14th. I knew I wanted to play this when I saw this IGN video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHn100ChFBY

I was hooked when he complained about having a map that didn't make it clear where you needed to go, confusing and labyrinthian environments, necessary backtracking and a lack of fast travel. He was also upset that he had to read some ninja-gaiden style text boxes.

It was very nice of him to describe the features I was looking for in a game, even if the descriptions were structured as complaints. And here I was, thinking IGN had lost all relevance years ago!
XD This. The hell's up with reviewers wanting easy short games that hold your hand and do all your work for you =/ I'll definitely try to play it in the near future though.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.13.15 8:00pm

I don't know anything about Axiom Verge, but the map layout, labyrinth and unclear object seems to me what makes these types of games endearing for exploring.

He may have a point when it comes to the environments and text though. The videos I've seen of the game so far doesn't leave the game as enriched aesthetically as others, and the text could be seen as immersion breaking if you want an experience closer to Super Metroid where there were barely any cutscenes.

Also I completely regret giving IGN clicks for anything, I should have known not to click the link.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

GPRidley

Mochtroid

Postby GPRidley » 05.23.15 4:32pm

I'm about five hours into it, and I'm really pleased with the purchase. The environmental effects get very, very strange, in a way that's difficult to talk about without revealing vital elements of the plot. That may or may not be why these videos don't show the bits I find so interesting. I find the environments interesting and compelling, although sometimes garish. In many areas, the tiles are slopped together in a way that really is quite a lot like the original Metroid - messy.

As for the text, there isn't much of it so far - but it is there, which is apparently a dealbreaker to some people? Sounds like a case of the Metroid-Didn't-Have-X-So-This-Shouldn't-Either.

Straight talk time - the dialogue doesn't really amaze me. It's amateurish, but it seems do be doing what it set out to do, and I don't personally feel like there's enough of it to intrude on my gameplay. I can't really speak with confidence on the writing as a whole until I finish the game, but I like the tone and setting so far.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.03.15 7:06pm

That really does look like a Controid game. Even some of the tiles look like they're from Zero Mission. Looks very interesting! Nice find!
Man, I knew about this game for ages and had totally forgotten about it.

Now I feel better knowing that I bought it on launch day :) Loved it!
I'm going through the full version of the game right now, and you should expect a review from me on the site. I'm playing the Steam version since I don't own a PS4. It's quite challenging and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

PS I'm in the credits. :awesome: :geemer: (I was a playtester for Tom)
You're welcome ;)
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Bocuma

Alpha Metroid

Postby Bocuma » 06.16.15 8:14pm

I really want to get this. Waiting for it to come out on the Vita.

Jesse D

Former Staff - Lead Engineer

Postby Jesse D » 11.29.15 1:53pm

Oh man, I'm surprised this game hasn't gotten more attention here!

I picked it up and have promptly begun to devour it. This is exactly the game I have been craving for the better part of a decade. Aside from the Metroidvania gameplay and exploration I love so dearly, it hearkens back to the 8/16 bit era graphical style that - for me - gives the strongest sense of isolation. The lack of handholding or forced linearity are exactly what I love about these games. I want to be forced to explore the world and figure out the solution for myself. I don't need hints or dots placed on my map to tell me where to go.

It's like a love letter to classic Metroid, pre-Fusion. Its nods to Metroid are less obvious than, say Guacamelee, but more intimate. I just blasted a couple of creatures resembling Zeebetites to pass through a hallway full of creatures that latch on and such away your energy. Then I popped out into a room with background details very closely resembling a rolling Morph Ball. :mb_power:

Oh, and Justin Bailey. ;)

And all this time, there have been a lot of fresh and original ideas as far as powerups and abilities go.

Oh, and the way that "glitches" are employed. For lack of a better way to describe it, Axiom Verge has Secret Worlds. I feel like it's 2000 and I'm excitedly exploring and mapping Metroid 2 glitch worlds all over again. It's like this game was made just for me.

Not that I game much anymore, but Axiom Verge is hands-down my top game of the year. Bravo, Mr. Happ. Bravo.
-Jesse DImage

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 12.08.15 6:18am

Would like to play AV, but am waiting for it to come to Wii U .. if that still happens in 2016. Steam version is still a no for me.
Grt. Merlin

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.06.16 10:38pm

Apparently there was talk of having a Samus costume in the Wii U version of Axiom Verge, yet Nintendo decided against it: http://nintendoeverything.com/samus-cos ... -the-idea/

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 09.07.16 3:57am

But Bayonetta is fine...?
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.07.16 1:37pm

Nintendo has been oddly paranoid about their franchises for years now. They've missed out on so many golden opportunities to expand their series because of their overprotective nature.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion