General Gaming News

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Apothem

General Gaming News

Postby Apothem » 02.19.14 3:02pm

Ya know, it's strange, we have a section for general gaming discussion, and general non-gaming discussion, but we don't have a thread for general gaming news. So, in light of having to start up whole new threads for otherwise minor stories and such I propose to the board this very thread for all things generally news worthy in gaming. May the discussion commence!

I'll start, I suppose:

Character Boosting to Lv.90 in World of Warcraft could cost as much as $60 USD per character. Yes, of all the things to talk about, this is what inspired me to start this thread. For the uninitiated: World of Warcraft, still the premier title in the MMO market, is releasing it's 5th expansion later this year, Warlords of Dreanor, and with it will come the option of boosting any one character to Lv.90, the requisite for entering into the expansions new exclusive content. Players who purchase the expansion will get their first boost free, or so the plan goes at present, but subsequent boosts will cost cash. This all on top of the box price and monthly fee. WoW's had a fairly innocuous and inoffensive cash shop going for a few years now, primarily selling overpriced virtual pets and mounts, but if the price holds true this'll be by far the most expensive thing on offer. The price, as is known, comes from what amounts to an error in the shop after this last Tuesday's regular maintenance, so it's just as plausible that the price is a placeholder and not yet set. One would hope so, as paying $60 USD all to save maybe a few weeks of time is beyond excessive.

A portion of the playerbase has gnashed their collective teeth at the very idea of the character boost in the first place, much less this supposedly exorbitant price. Speaking as a 6 year veteran of the game, now going on two years retired from it, I can say that, price aside, it's one of the best things Blizzard could hope to implement. 90 levels is a lot of content to run through, even if it's likely to be relatively quick. MMOs always start at the end, ironically, and this only allows players the opportunity to skip past the fluff, free to return should they please. The exact specifics of the boosting process are as of yet unclear, but Blizzard has had similar systems in place before, and judging by their previous practices all the new system is likely to do is boost a characters level and give them the appropriate abilities, talents, gear, and other working systems. So one could expect to get a fairly basic Lv.90 character, not one decked out with the best possible gear. One of the chief complaints is that this system will only work to promote, and I quote, "filthy casual behavior." Again, I can attest that the game itself does a pisspoor job of instructing new players in the craft of war. Everything pretty much has to be learned through experience, and then relearned again once one hits the level cap, if they decide to go into raiding or player vs. player. Skipping content won't help people play any better, but suffering through it isn't likely to teach them squat, either.

What worries me is how Blizzard may design around this. The goal of the character boost is apparently to make it easier for returning players to jump right into the new content - which is one the major things that's caught my attention with this latest expansion - as well as offer new players the option of skipping ahead. Ideally, the system shouldn't be necessary. With every new expansion the experience curve is altered to make leveling ever faster and easier as a means of expediting players to the endgame. If that trend continues into Warlords of Dreanor then the boost will be little more than a convenience. However, Blizzard is changing many things with this expansion, as they are wont to do, some of them more fundamental than others. There exists the ever present possibility that they may swing that experience curve the other way, prolonging the leveling experience in an effort to... encourage players to pay into the character boosting system. I, personally, highly doubt such an outcome, but the thing is Blizzard has done similar before...

Diablo 3 had it's entire progression system, the very means by which one advances through and thus plays the game, built around the in-game auction houses, namely the "Real Money Auction House." This forced players to either spend countless hours grinding for gear, the vast majority of which would be useless for their character class / specialization, or buy the gear from other players through the auction house. The ability to functionally buy and sell in-game currency - gold - horribly inflated the economy putting any item of practical value well above most players purchasing ability. All the really valuable goods were, of course, thrown up on the RMAH for cash. You either bought your way to the top or you never got there.

Rendering leveling a more tedious affair than it already is in the vain pursuit of pushing a virtual convenience off on players isn't quite the same thing, but it does show that Blizzard isn't always smart about how it treats it's customers. I like the idea of being able to skip past the parts of a game you don't like, especially in a game as long winded as World of Warcraft, in favor of the content you do more enjoy. What I don't like is the idea that the base experience may be tampered with to force the "convenience." Regardless of how things ultimately play out, the first thing Blizzard needs to do is properly define the service's price. No way in hell it should cost more to level a single character to 90 than it would to buy the game and almost two months of game time.

Apothem

Re: General Gaming News

Postby Apothem » 02.19.14 10:33pm

Now this is cool: EVE is getting a comic series! Dark Horse, in conjunction with CCP - the game's developer - is immortalizing the many crazy, completely player driven, events of EVE Online in comic form. The game everyone loves to hear about but most people would never want to play. This is all sorts of fascinating. Big games like EVE have multimedia cross-pollination all the time, but almost never based on the factual exploits of the playerbase. This is exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see more of.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.20.14 12:56am

So... This is a thing:

Bocuma

Alpha Metroid

Postby Bocuma » 02.20.14 7:05pm

Irrational Games (the studio that made BioShock) fired all but 15 people. It sounds like they want to make smaller budget games. Who knows if there will ever be another BioShock now.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.20.14 8:24pm

Yeah, dunno quite what to think about that. BioShock Infinite was fun in its own way but nothing quite as good as the first two, from either a mechanical or narrative standpoint. A smaller team and a more focused project may help the next game significantly, whatever that may be. The whole thing does come across as a bit of dick move, though. Other creative types - Cliff Bleszinski, Peter Molyneux, even Notch - left their respective teams to head up new endeavors. Levine, be it by his will or not, laid off nearly everyone on staff and pretty much closed the studio. Granted this is supposedly because Take Two made him what must've been quite an appealing offer, but still that's a lot of people out of work. Whatever he comes up with next had better be worth it, otherwise he'll be the Scrooge who fired his team to pursue a pet project, regardless of whether or not that's true.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 02.20.14 8:30pm

So... This is a thing:

This guy is a complete moron. There is so much erroneous language going on in this video... :facepalm: I can't... I just can't. And no, the mod is really NOT impressive. At least not to me. Since they used Super's sprites, there's no power grip when she hangs on ledges. x_x I'd go on, but I just can't. I'm done.

I'll admit the concept is clever, but the execution is rather... unrefined.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.21.14 5:52am

Yeah, that was about my take on it as well. I've not played Spelunky, so I can't comment on specifics, I also don't quite like railing on moders as they shouldn't be held to quite the same standards as professionals, but the presentation here is... lacking. You put yourself on display and you naturally invite criticism; The presenter is woefully inadequate at this specific task. If you're going to showcase something, it helps to be at least passingly familiar with it first. The mod itself is an interesting curiosity, and obviously unfinished, but comes across here as not at all well planned out. Pity, as I'm certain one could potentially adapt Samus and her play style to such a game quite nicely.

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 02.22.14 8:04am

I also don't quite like railing on moders as they shouldn't be held to quite the same standards as professionals
I think it's just about being fair and constructive, I'm sure they want to improve and they can only do that with decent feedback, In all my released works I typically find it frustrating that I just get told in simple terms if it's good or not, stating it sucks or that it is awesome doesn't really tell me anything in order to learn from my failures or successes though I don't really mod for hugely popular games so guess the quality and quantity of feedback is always going to be lacking.

Anyway, a new trailer was released for Wolfenstein: New Order:

Not much gameplay shown so still not sure how this is going to play out like but I'm still excited for this game, I really like the Wolf universe with the mix of nazis and experimental tech and dealings with the occult, really interested to see this game being set in an alternative history where Germany won the war with their experimental methods. I just hope they resolved the engine issues after RAGE.

The previous game was a disappointment, the veil/black sun idea was full of potential and the game started out well enough but quickly ran out of ideas and the missions were pretty linear and easy, especially with the follow the hud icon gameplay...

Also you get Beta access to Doom if buy the game?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.22.14 11:50am

I find it humorous how we've come full circle, how World War II seems to be coming back into vogue while the "modern" setting is worn out. It's almost nostalgic.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 02.22.14 12:15pm

Also you get Beta access to Doom if buy the game?
How the heck is Doom 4 still alive?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.22.14 3:29pm

That's what I'd like to know. Getting beta access to a game that doesn't in any tangible way yet exist doesn't seem very enticing. No trailers, concept art, staff lists, nothing. I was fairly certain id was done with Doom entirely. Plus, how they are now, what with their founding creative staff absent, I doubt they'd do Doom justice anyway. Then again, what is Doom at this point? It's the John Carter of videogames; everyone's cribbed off of it so much as to render it completely irrelevant. Unless they want to try and revitalize the series' classic style in the modern age then they'll have precious little to offer that hasn't already been done before and likely better. My guess? It'll be yet another rote, trite, "modern" FPS capitalizing on base nostalgia, doomed to failure.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 02.23.14 7:52am

My guess? It'll be yet another rote, trite, "modern" FPS capitalizing on base nostalgia, doomed to failure.
They already scrapped that version.

It's probably going to end up like Duke Nukem Forever.
Then again, what is Doom at this point? It's the John Carter of videogames; everyone's cribbed off of it so much as to render it completely irrelevant.
Not really. Doom's more like a lucky fluke.

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 02.23.14 8:35am

Though id didn't make it I would rather they made a new Quake Wars with a single player campaign. Be really interesting to see more of the Strogg invasion of Earth, as it was MP only quake wars didn't really have that much narrative to show what exactly happened during the invasion though you got clues how they developed the technology to fight back in some of the maps you played, be nice to see this fleshed out in a single player campaign.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.23.14 10:09am

Doom set the standard for the FPS genre for nearly a decade, if not longer. There wouldn't be another FPS so influential until Modern Warfare in 2007. That was no fluke. It was a refinement of its predecessor - Wolfenstein 3D - and a game that to this day, some twenty years later, is still surprisingly popular with a large and flourishing modding community surrounding it.

I compare it to John Carter of Mars because it directly influenced so many games that came after it. For the longest time the term "FPS" didn't exist. Such games were universally refereed to as "Doom Clones." However, much like John Carter, Doom has fallen into relative obscurity, overshadowed by its successors. Doom, as a franchise, means very little now. Doom 3 had little in common with Doom 1&2. Doom 4 could be anything, and most probably will tow the line, a safe bet in an over-saturated market. ID is best known for pushing hardware, often in silly, sometimes meaningless, ways. They're not known for breaking molds, not anymore.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 02.23.14 10:53am

Though id didn't make it I would rather they made a new Quake Wars with a single player campaign. Be really interesting to see more of the Strogg invasion of Earth, as it was MP only quake wars didn't really have that much narrative to show what exactly happened during the invasion though you got clues how they developed the technology to fight back in some of the maps you played, be nice to see this fleshed out in a single player campaign.
iD has said that if they were to ever make another Quake game it would use Quake 1's setting.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion