Destiny Thread!!!

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Destiny Thread!!!

Postby Zynux » 09.13.14 3:31am

Ah, the old AAA gaming marketing tactic of "let's hype this game up to the moon; don't worry nothing will go wrong. The second coming of Christ won't be anywhere near as hype as this!"

I haven't played Destiny, nor do I have any interest in it. So I can't judge it's quality for myself. However, the mixed reactions that came from this game is amusing to witness since it's being repeated so often in our industry now. Developers and publishers spending more and more money making these high-budget games, they market these games to the extreme and somehow convince people that it will be the best thing ever, people spend their hard-earn cash only to find the game to be an overpriced mediocre mess. Rinse and repeat. Like clockwork.

I've already witnessed a huge decline in Destiny talk. I don't really find it anywhere anymore. Even the Titanfall hype lasted longer.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.13.14 9:04am

This problem is particularly bad with MMOs as they've changed so little over the years since World of Warcraft inadvertently stagnated the market. I payed little attention to Destiny as the last thing I was about to do was to buy into a console MMO, but I was interested in seeing if Bungie could bring something new to the table in their seemingly mad attempt to blend the MMO and FPS genres. After reading through various reviews - most of which are still rightfully in progress - it looks to me that what Bungie, Activision, and hundreds of millions of dollars have all managed to accomplish is functionally remaking WoW but this time with guns and aliens...

It's not that simple iterations can't be fun, it's that these developers are too afraid - or prevented from - iterating enough to separate their product from the competition. WoW has been slowly failing for 4 years because people are growing tired of the same old static experience. Imitating that which worked 10 years ago is not a sound business strategy. There's never a guarantee anything will be successful - there's always at least a 1/20 chance of failing anything - and unfortunately truly new ventures are even riskier than usual, but the first developer to competently offer something both new and unique will not only herald in a new age for the MMO super-genre but also hold the key to potential profitability beyond anyone's wildest imagination. World of Warcraft made truly divine sums of money back when the gaming industry was half the size it is today. I shudder to think what the second coming of WoW stands to earn in the present market...

What shape this new wonder game will take is anyone's guess - probably something on mobile since that's where all the money seems to be - but regardless, you can only ever do the same thing for so long, and as has been repeatedly shown over recent years the well's just about run dry for WoW-styled MMOs.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 09.14.14 12:17am

I find it so weird how much this game underwhelmed people. Bungie has a very good track record and even their lackluster games like Reach still have a lot of obvious love and care put into them. Most Destiny reviews make the game sound sterile, like Bungie was just checking in boxes. It says something when even Halo 4 feels more like a labor of love than Bungie's new game.
Suckers.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.14.14 4:19am

Having (obviously) not the played the game myself, I still feel inclined to give Bungie the benefit of the doubt. I'm certain they put forth a solid effort, they simply put that effort forth into the same old tired areas everyone else invested in the super-genre already has. With Halo they had a winning formula that never had to change much. With Destiny they tried to weld their formula to the very same already so over used and seem to have come up short. This is all just further proof that it doesn't seem to matter who tackles the problem, every publisher/developer is either too reluctant, incapable, or flat out scared to address the major issues plaguing these sorts of games.

In all honesty, though, I am interested in hearing firsthand experiences. Unless it comes to PC - and even then - I'm probably never going to play it, I watched through a ~2 hour live stream recently showcasing PvE gameplay at various points throughout the early and mid-game, and while Destiny is pretty to look at the mechanics seem to be "Grindy Halo: The Game." I know next to nothing of the endgame, however, but have heard positive things about PvP. There may yet be some saving grace to the title.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.26.14 9:46pm

My brother brought his PS4 over and I got to play Destiny.

Incoming rant:
At first I couldn't quite put my finger as to why I didn't like it. Then, it struck me then and there. It felt like, but not as bad as, Skyrim. All I was doing was quests and getting better armor and other stuff just to kill bigger things. I love FPS games with Halo being a prime example but Destiny got boring REALLY fast. Yes, the whole 'repetitive' argument can apply to anything really but Destiny was supposed to be a super mega blockbuster action 5 star hit. Not kill same enemy over and over to get gun to kill same enemy over and over. It really feels like Borderlands got drunk and picked up Skyrim on a dirty street corner and then Destiny happened. It has the grimy asymmetrical feel and basic gameplay that Borderlands has as well as the repetitive quests and terrible grinding Skyrim has. Destiny seemingly has no true objective other than shoot enemies and get better guns and PvP isn't even fun. It feels very sloppy and loose like Gears of War and oddly overpowered in a way like Call of Duty.
Anyway, that was my spill on the topic.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.06.14 11:20am

"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.06.14 12:47pm

"Boarder Halo Lands of Warcraft Online." That about sums it up, only it's not actually as good as any of those things.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 10.06.14 4:16pm

I'm enjoying the snot out of it.
Though admitantly ran out of stuff to do beyond Crucible. Hafta do the raid.. but need friends with the game to do that.

This game does have some... serious issues. There's a finely working game under a pile of bad and, what is likely, Activision forced decisions.
It honestly does feel like the game was gutted before release.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.06.14 5:19pm

There's a finely working game under a pile of bad and, what is likely, Activision forced decisions.
The issue I have with buying that is Bungie left Microsoft because they were trying to escape some "greedy corporate powerhourse that was restraining their creativity," or some such philosophy.

Then they cast themselves into the arms of what is arguably the worst, most greedy, and restrictive publisher in the current market.

Meanwhile the current head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, is is actively engaging with the community, and the Xbox team is working around the clock, updating the Xbox One monthly, adding features and improving others to consumer preference.

But then again, a ton of important people left Bungie after Halo Reach was released. Joseph Staten, writer for all the Halo games and one novel and an overall very charismatic guy, left and now works as a community manager at Microsoft Studios. Marcus Lehto, the art director for the Halo games, left as well. Frank O' Connor and Shiska, both community managers at Bungie, left and were some of the founding members of 343 Industries. Marty O'Donnel, the brilliant composer for all the Halo games (and Myth II, I believe), was fired by Bungie's Board of Directors earlier this year without cause. Max Hoberman, UI, graphic, web, and map designer for Halo 2 who worked at Bungie since 1997, left the company and founded Certain Affinity, which now makes newer Halo maps.

Bungie is the same in name, but different in soul. Kind of like how Activision, founded in 1979 by four mistreated Atari game developers, has now become the most heartless publisher/developer in the industry.

I'd recommend taking the time to watch this Behind the Scenes documentary of Halo 2, ten years old, and count how many prominent people here no longer work at Bungie.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.07.14 3:27am

Bungie wasn't much of anything before Halo, and now that they've spent most of their creative talent on the franchise over the past decade they probably won't amount to much in it's wake. Regardless of who exactly is to blame for Destiny, it's a steaming hot mess, far more so than most MMOs, and the immediate future isn't likely to change any of that. Right now it's the new hotness; in six moths most people will forget it even exists. A sad fate for what should have been a far more ambitious project from a proven and talented developer.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 10.07.14 11:39am

Bungie wasn't much of anything before Halo, and now that they've spent most of their creative talent on the franchise over the past decade they probably won't amount to much in it's wake. Regardless of who exactly is to blame for Destiny, it's a steaming hot mess, far more so than most MMOs, and the immediate future isn't likely to change any of that. Right now it's the new hotness; in six moths most people will forget it even exists. A sad fate for what should have been a far more ambitious project from a proven and talented developer.
Now I think, as someone who has been a fan of Bunghole since the very first Halo, they should have never left Halo. However, since they did, they should combine 343i and Bungie or Bungie goes back to Halo and 343i vanishes or Bungie blows up and everyone goes to 343i. Either works. Tons of people to this day still play Halo Reach. That's almost as whacky as people still playing Super Smash Bros Melee.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.07.14 12:50pm

I got nothing against Bungie moving on to new projects, it's just that they haven't, all they've done is poorly remade Halo with permanent multiplayer. Much of their chief creative talent either transferred to 343i to continue on with Halo or jumped ship to go on their own. They don't need to reassemble themselves, they need to find a new niche, and attempting to ape past success isn't is not it.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.07.14 1:03pm

Exactly. It's only popular and talked about because it's the only thing out right now. But this fall, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Halo: The Master Chief Collection are coming out, and they'll overshadow it by the sole virtue of not failing basic game design. Advanced Warfare has the potential to be the Titanfall that sticks, having the acrobatic and fast-paced gameplay, but with better brand recognition, higher production values, and more content. The Master Chief Collection is an incredibly valuable package that many consumers don't need to question because they know what they're getting. And GTA V is coming out on next-gen soon, giving people an open-world game that's actually open-world as opposed to a bunch of empty scenery with predictable enemy spawns.
Bunghole
Wat.
they should have never left Halo. However, since they did, they should combine 343i and Bungie or Bungie goes back to Halo and 343i vanishes or Bungie blows up and everyone goes to 343i. Either works. Tons of people to this day still play Halo Reach. That's almost as whacky as people still playing Super Smash Bros Melee.
I'm convinced that the decision to leave Microsoft and work on Destiny was decided by some people and opposed by others. The aforementioned list of important people leaving the company would give credence to that.

I personally don't want Bungie to work on Halo again. 343 Industries is doing a fantastic job, particularly in the story department, developing actual characters as opposed to two-dimensional people just doing stuff. Granted I haven't agreed with all of their decisions, particularly making the Forerunners not be ancient humans and letting Karen Traviss's books get published under the Halo name, I do believe they're headed in the right direction for the series.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.21.15 12:42am

Right now it's the new hotness; in six moths most people will forget it even exists. A sad fate for what should have been a far more ambitious project from a proven and talented developer.
That didn't seem to happen at all, did it? Certain media outlets like Kotaku at least never shut up about it, and if something was announced like with one of the expansions, the news was everywhere it seems. That and the marketing is still good(or at the very least pushing the game) with the Taken King showing up at E3 this year. I'm not going to lie, the gameplay is really good, but Year 1 Destiny was a hollow grind outside of the gameplay(not counting Crucible, people are one of the ultimate variables). I got burned so much by the grind and RNJesus, I sold the game around the end of October since I knew all my work will have been fruitless when better gear shows up with the Dark Below. Then the Taken King comes out and I'm actually interested in it again since Year 2 seems to fix a lot of the problems I had. Despite all the shady frak Activision threw in like with Marty, at least Bungie themselves listened and made a huge overhaul of the the game, which I thought they would never do.

This thread has been dead for a really long time, anyone like to get some sort of conversation going? I'm playing on the PS4 if anyone is interested.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.21.15 1:40am

I'm honestly surprised the game's still so popular, especially with all its problems. One has to wonder just how successful the game has truly been, though. Is Activision pushing Destiny so hard because it's a success, or have they simply invested too much money already to let it die and are desperately trying to make it a success, like with EA and SW:TOR? I don't follow the game or its numbers so I have no idea. Publisher's are usually pretty good at damage control, so I wouldn't be surprised is Activision is making things look better than they actually are.

Regardless, the true test of the game's longevity will be the impending sequel, both in how it works and how the fandom reacts to it. Players bitched a mighty fit when they were smacked upside their collective heads with the concept of the perpetual treadmill that is the typical MMO endgame. I'm curious to see how they'll react when the next game launches and functionally renders all the existing content defunct. Although, I'm not entirely certain how Bungie plans to handle the upcoming expansion - and no, minor content patches are NOT expansions. There's a lot that can potentially go very wrong.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion