General Videogame Fan Art

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Apothem

General Videogame Fan Art

Postby Apothem » 11.19.14 9:26am

It occurs to me that while we have here on the forums several places for various fan works, but we've yet to have a thread dedicated to videogame fan art in general. Now we do.

What to Post
Exactly what it says on the tin: Fan art of videogames, in general. Follow the forum rules, like always, and post the best of what you can find of any game out there. Be advised that we have separate threads for Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros., Pokemon, Mega Man, and Halo. Fan art specific to those series is best posted to their respective threads, but a few pieces finding their way here won't get anyone in trouble. Smash Bros. specifically refers to any Nintendo crossover referencing the series. If you don't know which thread to post to, just post here. It's all fan art in the end. Comics and .gifs are also acceptable. Unfortunately, the forum has no adequate way of embedding .webms at present, so I'd suggest refraining from the format for now. We have a separate thread for video, so post those there.

Crossovers of videogame characters with non-videogame properties are also acceptable, but try to keep images videogame-centric. If a character's native medium isn't a videogame, a picture solely of them doesn't belong here. For example: Images of Marvel vs. Capcom are passable, but that doesn't make Marvel superheroes videogame characters.

Finally, official and concept art, despite not being strictly fan art, are both permissible.

How to Post It
The preferred method is: [ url=http://SourceWebsite.Here ][ image ]http://ImageURL.Here[ /image ][ /url ]

This will allow you to hotlink the source to the image itself. If a proper source is unavailable, posting the image alone is acceptable. Some sites, like Pixiv - the "Japanese deviantArt" more or less - don't allow hotlinking, the image breaks and no one can see it. In such cases, if you can't find a more agreeable website to link to, copy the image and host it yourself, if you prefer. Imgur is a great resource for hosting such pesky images. It's free and there's no practical bandwidth cap to worry about. Personally, I make sure to attribute the artist and link back to the works source in the Imgur description, but that's all up to the individual. One final note: do NOT attempt to link back to Danbooru or it's many derivative ~booru alternatives. Those sites have typically less than savory advertisements and are generally considered "Not Safe For Work." (NSFW) They also serve as little more than English-friendly repositories of Japanese artwork, commonly linking back to the artists themselves, making the sites themselves unnecessary to source.

Try to keep your posted works and source sites generally "Safe for Work." Use our other fan art thread as a guide, and in time what is and isn't acceptable will become more concretely apparent.

Try not to spam artwork. Keep it to a few pieces per post and use the [ spoiler ] tags for each image. This helps pages load faster and make the whole thread easier to peruse.

Because this is a GENERAL videogame artwork thread, and there are a LOT of different games out there, please be kind enough to specify which game - or games - the picture represents, and preferably the main characters central to the image. This should help keep questions to a minimum. Hotlinking to a game-specific wiki is also acceptable. We're here to appreciate good art, not play "20 Questions."

Now, for the inaugural image that inspired this very thread:

Chrono Trigger : Ayla, accompanied by nearly the game's whole rogue's gallery.

Available from Fangamer as a lovely 12" x 18" print. Courtesy Infinity's End via Skype.

Now,
post away!

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Apothem

Re: General Videogame Fan Art

Postby Apothem » 11.21.14 8:25am

I thought that was supposed to be a Primal Articuno at first. Pokemon fusions produce some strange - and sometimes wonderful - things.

Xenoblade Chronicles
The gargantuan Bionis (left) and Mechonis (right) after their ancient apocalyptic clash. Easily my favorite piece from one of my favorite games.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.21.14 3:40pm

Pokemon fusions produce some strange - and sometimes wonderful - things.
They certainly do, Apothem.
They certainly do...

I'll also take this chance to post stupid funny stuff I find.
*EDIT*
I couldn't help it. I find this too funny.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.22.14 7:56pm

We don't seem to have a Mario or general Nintendo thread, so this now goes here:

Mario x Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Princess Peach crossed with Momohime. ("Peach Princess." Clever.)

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.12.14 8:59pm

Say, remember Shadow of the Colossus? Shaddap, of course you do! Probably not quite like this, though:
Totally forgot this was a thing. LoL Japan and their incessant need to transform everything into adorable/sexy girls. Courtesy artist "Shigatake", creator of the lovely little Habanero-tan and presently character designer for Vanillaware.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.13.14 12:00am

Oh yeah, I remember those. He/she did full pictures of every colossus anime-girl style.

lol Japan.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 12.13.14 7:00pm

I'd love to play a game where I brutally slay those things.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.14.14 2:33pm

Found this great blog full of Xeno art.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.15.14 2:02am

There's never enough Xeno art. Terribly underrated series, all of'em. Xenogears, especially, is incredibly important to me. Easily one of - if not the - most influential games of my formative years. One of the few games - and even fewer RPGs - that I've played through multiple times and yet still find new facets I had never noticed before. It is a densely packed experience, full of incredibly well realized characters in a fantastical setting that can make your head spin trying to understand it all. The combat was particularly inventive for the time, split between sprite-based characters and polygonal 3D mechs, with an almost fighting game like focus on button combos rather than more traditional menu selections which helped keep one better engaged in the fighting. That's not to say the game didn't have it's shortcomings: Graphical limitations, obviously, being a PSX game; a suboptimal translation, characteristic of many Square games of the time; an obtuse narrative spanning multiple fictional time periods and character incarnations improperly fleshed out due to developmental time and budgetary constraints; half of the second disc being little more than a slideshow and copious exposition due to said production problems. Still, an absolutely fantastic game any fan of good - if not somewhat incomprehensible - stories, characters, and JRPGs should experience.

Many clamor for Squeenix to remake/remaster many games, particularly their Final Fantasy library, and while I echo these sentiments - though caution the modern incarnation of the company may well be incapable of adequate facilitating such - I, personally, would much rather prefer an expansive remake of Xenogears, assuming Monolith Soft - the developer formed of the primary creative team responsible for Chrono Trigger/Xenogears, splintered from Squeenix years ago - could somehow lead the project. Few games are as deserving of a second chance as Xenogears. The game doesn't need super high-rez, ultra dense polly count, ridiculous graphical nonsense, just a fresh coat of paint, a bit of polish to the translation, and the proper implementation of the cut/condensed content from the second disc. It'd be perfect for the Vita, though in my ideal hypothetical scenario, what with Monolith Soft's second party status to Nintendo, the 3DS may be more reasonable, the Super 3DS, especially. It will unfortunately never happen, but a man can dream...

Also, the game feature a wetsuit-wearing, bipedal, intelligent talking dolphin-man audiophile who lets you listen to the entirety of the game's SFX library:

Game of the Year, all years.

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.15.14 11:15am

I've only just played Xenogears this past year, but it still lives up to the high expectations set for it. One of the finest games ever, especially in terms of characters, story, and music. I didn't even have problems with its age, so while it could use a new coat of paint, I don't think it's necessary for it to be appreciated. The dream remake that would never happen because of the astronomical budget, however, would be a fully voiced, full 3D world built from the ground up. Like this from the same blog:

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.15.14 4:58pm

Xenogears by way of Xenoblade would certainly be awesome, and a high-budget modern remake could be great, but it's a logical fallacy to assume that remakes of classic, longer running games - like many JRPGs - would need to be ridiculously expensive. There are plenty of people who'd want their favored games to be remade on the same general level as the biggest AAA releases, but they don't need it and would likely buy the game regardless, assuming it was competently updated. This is but one of the many reasons I wish the PSP/Vita had done better; it would've been the perfect home for remakes of Final Fantasy 7 - 9. JRPGs do well on handhelds, the PSP/Vita especially, and the significantly adjusted audience expectations mean much more can be done with considerably less. Two almost perfect examples of how such could've been handled would be both Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and the Star Ocean 1 & 2 remakes. Trying to remake these sorts of games on console all but consigns them to oblivion. Xenogears as well would've made an excellent transition to either of Sony's handhelds. One of the greatest failings of the modern videogame industry is lacking acknowledgement of a viable middle tier of development. Not everything has to be a cheap mobile game or exorbitant AAA blockbuster.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.30.14 11:03am

Dark Souls: Solaire of Astora

Praise the moon!

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.31.14 2:54pm

Metal Gear Solid x Madoka Magica: The various Snakes

"Magical Girls of the Patriots."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.31.14 8:29pm

Oh lord. Why.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion