Your Best Videogame Moments

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Your Best Videogame Moments

Postby Khyron » 08.03.15 4:37pm

So hopefully I'm not breaking a rule by starting a new topic :-? But after reading through the worst moments of game rage thread, I'd really like to know what your greatest gaming accomplishments are. Whether it was beating a game on insanity difficulty using only your eyelids or just a really fond memory you have playing a game with your best friend, I think it'd be cool to share some stories. Here's one of mine.

When I was a kid my mom moved out of the city we were living in (Baltimore) and about two hours away into the country. All of my family, including my super cool older cousin Robert, still lived in the city. Visits to Baltimore became increasingly infrequent as time went on; possibly a product of my mother getting remarried to a very bad guy. Looking back now, most of the best times in my middle school years were when I was NOT at home. One of those great times was a weekend visit at Robert's house. In terms of rules at his house, there really weren't many. Infinite popcorn and soda? Check. Scary R rated movies, complete with profanity and nudity? Check. Riding your bike all through the city provided you didn't go to the ghetto? Somehow, check. Needless to say, going there was an event I looked forward to like few others.

I can't remember if it was his or if he rented it, but my first time playing the original Zelda was at Robert's house. Things were not good at home at that time and I remember feeling a genuine sense of relief getting away for the weekend. Robert and I would take turns; one of us manning the controls while the other poured over the map, looking for that elusive dungeon entrance. To be honest, I don't recall whether we beat the game that weekend or not. It doesn't matter. The sheer joy I had playing Zelda with the coolest person I knew, not worrying about life at home for a couple of days is a memory I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Too mushy? In High school my buddies and I would play Mortal Kombat using only our toes. My one friend's little brother could beat the game on easy that way. I really should have learned to play the guitar instead.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Your Best Videogame Moments

Postby Zynux » 08.04.15 8:24pm

Can't really remember specifics, but some of my best video game moments were when I was really young during the n64 and gamecube era, playing multiplayer games with my older brother and my two uncles after school. Mario Party, Smash, etc. Fun, nostalgic, happier times of my life that will never come back again since you get older and real life hits you like a freight train.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 08.04.15 8:36pm

The N64 was fun but bloody dangerous in multiplayer when you and your friends are just as willing to mash each other as the buttons on your controller. Though admittedly nothing's quite as satisfying as smacking the twit next to you for their cheap trickery. Online multiplayer just doesn't compare.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 08.05.15 1:08pm

One thing I remember was playing on the N64 with my younger brother and cousins. It was the minigames in Pokemon Stadium 2. Because we only had three N64 controllers, only three could play at a time -- so there would be three players and one computer player. It was the Eager Eevee Minigame. If you bump into a Pineco, it blows up in your face and you have to sit out the next round. One time, all three of us zipped to the center towards a Pineco and the only the only one still wandering was the computer player...

Two seconds later, it dashed towards the Pineco as well.

We. Could not. Stop. Laughing! :geemer:

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 08.18.15 6:43pm

Sometime in the late 90's/early 00's I bought a used N64 and some games at a pawn shop outside of Westminster, MD. Though I had others, the only game I can even remember having now was Ocarina of Time, which I got stuck in despite having the strategy guide. As memory serves, there was a part where you had to catch a fish and put it into a bottle. For whatever reason, that stupid fish would not go into said bottle. For all I know there was already something in the bottle and I was too thick to figure it out. If it redeems me at all I did purchase Ocarina for the 3DS and beat it, sans strategy guide. That doesn't redeem me, does it?

So that's not really the story, but I'm nothing if not long in the tooth. The story is that maybe a year or so later, my step-dad's brother was over visiting my parents and he brought his then 9 and 10 year old sons with him. While sitting in the living room, I remembered that I had this N64 sitting in a box in my closet. Without much thought I went into the closet, grabbed the box, brought it downstairs and just handed it to them. Their faces when they opened the box and were told that it was theirs is something I will never forget. It was like one of those youtube videos that parents will post of their kids on Christmas morning when they get the gift, just without the Christmas or the video. No amount of money that I would have gotten from selling what was in that box could compare with how happy those two boys were with that gift.

Years later, just after my step-father passed away unexpectedly, the younger of those two brothers, now 19, in college, catching for his school's baseball team, called me up to see how I was doing. Though he and his brother both thanked me profusely for the system at the time, Brian wanted me to know just how much that meant to the two of them. He talked about late nights playing through Zelda when they were supposed to be asleep (did I confess that I got stuck? Not likely) and how fights over two player games were kept to a minimum as there were two controllers. Brian managed to put a big smile on my face that day as I fondly recalled the look on his and his brother's years before. In that sense, I guess you could say that he retuned the favor.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion