third party rip offs

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

third party rip offs

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 10.15.15 6:24pm

is it just me or are more and more people ripping off the nintendos wii remote and several 3ds features with kids toys? just now i saw a kid using an iron man toy like a wii remote on a commercial, have you guys noticed that?

Apothem

Re: third party rip offs

Postby Apothem » 10.15.15 10:29pm

Nintendo didn't invent gyroscopes, accelerometers, or infrared sensors, so no I wouldn't consider other companies using such technology to be inherently "ripping off" their Wii design. Then again I'm not familiar with your examples. A proper example of a "rip off" would be Sony's Playstation Move which is literally a technically better iteration of the wiimote/nunchuck paradigm. They pretty much took Nintendo's concept wholesale as their own, then like with everything else that isn't a home console, they promptly forgot it existed and refused to support it, dooming the device to obscurity because they're Sony and apparently love to waste large sums of money on research and development.

Seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent there. To the point: No, I don't think what you're vaguely describing is intentionally ripping off Nintendo, but if you could link a video it'd help shed some much needed light on what you're attempting to discuss.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.16.15 12:15am

Sounds like someone bought a Vita...
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 10.16.15 10:55am

ironicly, the vita was extremely well made, they shouldnt of given up first party support on it but yeah...they didnt invent those things but a lot of the third party things play EXACTLY like nintendos versions, thats why it annoys me.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.16.15 11:02am

Vita, PSP, Move, Eye, Sony's a lot like SEGA used to be in that they love to come up with new tech and then have no idea what to do with it. That's good reason to stay FAR away from their VR headset in future. They'll release it, most likely late compared to their competition, it won't immediately sell gangbusters so they'll promptly abandon it, repeatedly refusing to admit such when pressed because Sony does not easily admit their own failures, which at present is almost everything that isn't the PS4.

It may sound otherwise but I don't hate the company - I don't have much invested in them - they just dumbfound me. Nintendo frequently makes stupid decisions and stubbornly sticks by them. Sony makes stupid decisions and pretends like it never happened, only to invariably repeat the same mistakes. It's crazy. They got lucky with the PS2 - and to a lesser extent the PS4 - and haven't had the slightest clue what to do with themselves since. Much the same can be said of their other business ventures: A bit of luck followed by utter incompetence. How they haven't completely sunk by now is beyond me.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 10.16.15 8:05pm

nintendo sticks by stupid decisions untill they turn into smart things, i found out the wii outsold the ps3 and xbox 360 by millions of consoles by the end of that generation of consoles, thats why everyone was anti nintendo, they were pissed they were losing, also know whats ironic? like the wii was a modified gamecube, the ps2 was just a modified ps1, i wonder what other companies did something like that...i know sega just let you freely mod the geneisis with add ons.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.16.15 9:09pm

Speaking of stealing, doesn't Nintendo always get accused by companies of infringement of copyright? Especially with their motion technology.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 10.16.15 9:13pm

alll...the ...time...thats the reason they couldnt sell classic controlers for a few years, they then appealed and got the permissions back

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion