Sesame Credit: The Gamification of Authoritarian Compliance

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Remnants

Metroid Queen

Sesame Credit: The Gamification of Authoritarian Compliance

Postby Remnants » 12.24.15 6:50pm

This is extremely political but technically it's a game so the thread goes here. Just so we're clear, this has nothing to do with the erroneously-named SJWs or feminism. Just read on, please.

"Gamification of Authoritarian Compliance"... That's the description or the implication of what this Sesame Credit thing is all about. Different sources open things up by describing USA's Credit Score system but Sesame Credit goes far beyond simply showing how adept you are at paying off credit. In basic terms, your Sesame Credit score will go up when you do things that the government likes. This can include purchasing goods and services by local companies or sharing government-approved news on social media. However, buying imported goods and services, sharing news stories -- regardless of accuracy -- the government doesn't like or voicing "radical" political opinions can hurt your Sesame Credit score. It doesn't end there, though, as simply associating with a person with a bad score can hurt your score. This provides the incentive for people to dissociate from "dissenters". It can be said that if you have a dissenter in your family or circle of friends, the incentive would be there to try and "re-educate" them so you don't have to cut ties with them after all.

Now you might be thinking: "That sounds bad but what of it?" Let me tell you that having a good Sesame Credit score can give you privileges while a bad credit score could give you penalties such as making it more difficult to find work to having your internet connection slowed down. Because this regimentation is systemic, people won't be so quick to
pick up on it. As with any system that presents itself or poses as a meritocracy, you can more easily get people to accept the misery and misfortune of their fellow man. Just think about it.

Before you panic, though, this is something that's going on in China. Still, it'd be in our best interest to be aware of this and hopefully prevent it from entering your door when it knocks. This is a very lucrative system for any regime and better yet, this can still work under the veil of democracy. Because of that, most people won't realize the full implications until it's too late. Kinda why we should discuss this now, right?

You can read more about it on The American Conservative.

My first encounter with this subject was on this video.

Now then. What are your thoughts?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Sesame Credit: The Gamification of Authoritarian Complia

Postby Zynux » 12.24.15 8:07pm

Seems like an easy way to give one privileges over others.

Also makes it easier for the government to justify practices that go against those with low Sesame scores. It'll eventually create a segregated society.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 12.25.15 4:54pm

It's very disturbing but I'm honestly not surprised. China is a Communist totalitarian, fascist nation and their citizens aren't as "Free" as we are. All I can say is if they implemented that into our social media I'd stop using them right there on the spot.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 12.25.15 5:41pm

It's very disturbing but I'm honestly not surprised. China is a Communist totalitarian, fascist nation and their citizens aren't as "Free" as we are. All I can say is if they implemented that into our social media I'd stop using them right there on the spot.
Good. A mass boycott will be what's needed to send a message that is unequivocally clear.

The real troubling thing about this is how this is to become mandatory in China in 2020. It's sure to be enough of an issue if this was simply optional as employers and the government could still discriminate non-participants without much if any accountability whatsoever. If jobs are hard to come by, economic pressure alone can be enough to get people to become part of this plague against their will without any overt coercion by any authoritarian institution.
Really, such a system can be problematic even if it stays optional.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion