Marvel: Copying or Parody/Homage to Capcom?

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Marvel: Copying or Parody/Homage to Capcom?

Postby Zynux » 01.10.16 8:46pm

Thoughts on this? Comparisons between Marvel: Contest of Champions and Capcom fighting games like Street Fighter IV & V show something...interesting.

Spider-Man (Miles) seems to do a kick that is almost the exact same as Chun-li's special kick, right down to the camera shots. Luke Cage's special also seems to be really similar to Cody's.

Is this straight up plagiarism? Or some sort of homage/reference?

Reading down the comments section there seems to be even more examples thrown out, though I haven't confirmed them. It should also be noted that obviously this video and it's comments section is biased against this new Marvel fighting game as remember, most aren't looking forward to a mobile title and many were upset to see that a MvC 4 will likely not be a thing for a while or ever.

Is this a big deal?
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Re: Marvel: Copying or Parody/Homage to Capcom?

Postby Apothem » 01.11.16 1:32pm

MvC always struck me as a strange series. Of all the properties to combine. Was it because Marvel already had a working relationship with Capcom from their arcade adaptations, or was it all just some random coincidence? Regardless, I can't comment much on the situation knowing almost nothing about the characters and franchises involved, but either way it's definitely blatant. It's notoriously difficult to claim any form of serious copyright infraction between large companies, and I doubt Capcom has the will or the finances to take Marvel - who's backed by Disney, mind - to court over some potentially stolen animations.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.11.16 10:49pm

This is the first time I've seen something so blatant. I wonder if there are any other games that have done something this transparent?

Seems scummy but I agree that there will definitely be no action. It isn't worth it over a couple of animations and potentially ruining Marvel/Capcom relations.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.12.16 8:02am

Given the two companies previous working relationship I'd be quick to call homage, but since it's a mobile game not developed in-house by either company I'd also be just as quick to call copyright infringement. I suppose it's up to Capcom now to validate which one it is.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.12.16 3:31pm

Whether they copied it or not, Capcom doesn't have enough legal or financial power to take on Disney. The Disney machine will walk into anyones house eat their cookies and pound their spouse. Then sue them for subpar cookies and mediocre sex.
This is by far the best comment about the situation. If Capcom wasn't a sinking ship it could have maybe taken on Disney but with each passing second Capcom grows weaker and Disney grows stronger. The recent Star Wars film made more money than James Cameron's Smurfatar, I heard, which if it's true has only made Disney stronger.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 01.13.16 8:55pm

Is it copied? Clearly. Is it copyright infringement? I really don't think so. Can you even copyright something like that? A special kick with a specific camera angle, or similar animations?

Any lawsuit would be the most trivial waste of time ever and probably end in Disney's favor, not because of money.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.14.16 4:55am

I dunno. Nintendo used to pursue litigation over less, though admittedly they went after far smaller companies than Disney. It ultimately doesn't matter. Regardless of supposed popularity, a mobile fighting game isn't going to significantly impact a console/PC series like Street Fighter.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion