Making a Metroid style game – Need feedback

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Rundash

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Making a Metroid style game – Need feedback

Postby Rundash » 09.16.16 12:03pm

Hello, I’m currently experimenting with a Metroid styled exploration/horror side scroller and I would like to hear some feedback from the Metroid fans.
This is my free time project. It started as Metroid fan game, but after what happened to AM2R, I try to make my own game. I use Construct 2, Spriter PRO, FL studio and Photoshop.
I try to focus on creating atmospheric areas something like in Child of Light, Ryman Legends or Ori and the Blind Forest.

Story

Here is a quick background story. It’s similar to the Metroid Prime 2 where I planned the fan game to be taken place.
Current name for the game is Airin.
The game will take place on a remote planet Raphos that is recovering from devastating global catastrophe. The civilization of Raphos build huge underground bases to take cover from the catastrophe.
Little did they know of the darkness down below and today only the ruins remain.

Mineral exploration ship suddenly loses control and crashes on Raphos. Ships lifepods scatter across the planet surface and soon the player wakes on the ruins of Raphos…
The player has to explore and find a way to get home.

Game

- The game will consist of 6 main areas + 1 or 2 special areas. There will be just simple overall area map, no room to room map/loading.
- There won’t be any hint systems and I try to make challenging boss fights.
- This game will use a simple skill tree, where you can upgrade health, shield, efficiency and secondary weapon. You can find the skill points by exploring areas and defeating bosses.
- Suit upgrades are done by upgrading the health.
- Player will have s health bar and a regenerating shield bar. There probably won’t be any health drops. You restore the health at save stations or unlock a skill.
- There will be also few power-ups.
- There will be 4 beams that you can level up and make them more powerful by collecting shards by defeating enemies. Each beam has a different charge such as burst or heavy sniper shot.
- Secondary weapon is a special beam that will have cooldown. You can upgrade it to have a different charge attributes such as heavy impact or homing. This is used to open hidden paths or to destroy obstacles.
- There will be pieces of lore like in the Metroid Prime.
- There also will be other survivors that you can interactive with, but most of the time you will be alone.
- The game will support mouse and gamepad (Xbox layout).

Feedback/Help

Any questions of the game?
What you think of the game?
What would you like to see in the game? Gameplay/power-ups/weapons/enemies/easter eggs…
What you don't like to see in the game?

Concept Art
Here is some early concept art of the game:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkqW7J1eLD1h7zDQcizUqMLmInq2

Play the game

This is a first build just to see how things work. This build focuses on player controls, so there isn’t much to do. I also need redo the player animation.
Download it here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqW7J1eLD1h70vEnEA44Jtfa1bl

Controls
Move A, D or Dpad Left, Right
Aim Mouse or Right Analog
Crouch S, or Dpad Down
Jump Space or Left Trigger
Shoot Mouse Left or Right Trigger
Charge Hold Mouse Left or Right Trigger
Change Beam 1,2 or Left Analog (2 beams)
Close game ESC

Known Issues
Sometimes the charge animation gets stuck or doesn’t display.

If you find more issues, please report them here, thanks!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Making a Metroid style game – Need feedback

Postby Zynux » 09.19.16 7:48pm

I like the general graphics (which is obviously probably going to change), the main character looks great, and the firing animation is nice.

Only real bad is the animation of the character, makes it look like a an old flash game, but obviously that will change.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Rundash

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby Rundash » 09.23.16 4:02pm

Damn, I thought I could update the first post to keep it simple. Oh well, here's a new update.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkqW7J1eLD1h7zVMkuqJ34rO3yHN

This is still very early build, so everything is probably going to change. I think I going to keep those ground sprites though.
Next I going make some enemies and learn how to make sounds. I also need to redo those background sprites, but I suck at drawing landscapes.

- New level
- Added backward walk animation and minor animation tweaks. The animations still need tweaking.
- Added health and shield bar. You can edit them with arrow keys.
- Secondary cool down bar. Right mouse to activate.
- New Beam charges
- Other small fixes
I like the general graphics (which is obviously probably going to change), the main character looks great, and the firing animation is nice.

Only real bad is the animation of the character, makes it look like a an old flash game, but obviously that will change.
Thanks for the feedback Zynux! Was the lack of backward walk animation that made it look bad or are the animations just generally bad?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 09.23.16 6:21pm

I'm guessing the arm/leg movement, looks unnatural.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Rundash

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby Rundash » 10.30.16 1:42pm

New update!

You can now play it with browser. Works best with Chrome or Firefox.
http://kryhalla166.bitballoon.com/

I redo pretty much everything.
Enemy death animation will change.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.11.16 9:09pm

Yeah I'd say this is shaping up to be pretty cool, I like it, have no real complaints

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion