Necessary Changes to Next Smash Bros.

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Abodos

Gamma Metroid

Necessary Changes to Next Smash Bros.

Postby Abodos » 06.18.08 9:35pm

Here are some possible improvements that Nintendo could make to the inevitable fourth Smash Bros. game, primarily concerning Solo modes(Note: do not make specific character or stage suggestions on this thread. There are separate threads for those, and this thread is intended for more general changes to Smash Bros.).

-Make the Adventure mode some sort of Metroidvania-style game. This would look something like the Great Maze in Subspace Emissary, only on a much larger scale. Add in multiple paths and some more RPG elements, and this would add so much more depth to the Adventure game.

-Combine Adventure mode with Event Match mode. I felt Event Match in Brawl was unnecessary as a separate mode, and using Event Match mode's unusual objectives would add even more depth to the Adventure game.

-Use more enemies from the actual franchises, as opposed to original enemies. I thought most of the common enemies in Brawl were pretty lame, aside from maybe Shaydas. Enemies from the actual franchises, such as Space Pirates, Moblins, certain Pokemon, etc., would also add more nostalgia as well.

-Use some non-health meter enemies. Maybe there could be enemies that you knock into a certain barrier to destroy or something?

-Remove All-Star mode. The next Smash Bros. game will probably have at least 45 characters. Some sort of endurance mode is fine, but don't you think that All-Star would get very tedious with all those characters?

-Remove Home-run Contest and Multi-Man mode. I felt these modes were neither fun nor original, so they should be cut out to make room for other modes.

-Get rid of Target Smash difficulty levels that are the same for all characters. Maybe instead of Melee's system, where each character had their own level, there could be one Target level for each franchise, i.e. one for Mario, one for Zelda, one for Pokemon, etc. That way, the levels can be more tailor-made without bringing too much focus to Target Smash mode.

Feel free to discuss my suggestions or add your own.
Last edited by Abodos on 09.06.08 10:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know those classical pieces that you always hear in cartoons but you don't know the names of? See if you can find a few here.

Cappy

Gamma Metroid

Postby Cappy » 06.18.08 9:39pm

I just wish they'll allow for stock matches in the online play and the removal of random tripping.

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Postby sharonlover » 06.19.08 5:43am

I actually like the home-run mode. It was much better then the way melee had it done since you could bounce sandbag off the walls a couple of times. I spend hours trying to beat my best :P

I hate the fact that they slowed down the game response purposefully. While I understand the fact that they wanted to focus a little more attention on mid air battle, I always enjoyed the fact that I was quicker then someone else at the button, and now there's a little more thought involved.

Better levels >.> I don't mind the levels with backgrounds that interact or cars that fly by, but my God, can't we get a simple battleground without any interference o.o Hyrule is awesome and always has been and is where I prefer to fight. there's no interaction from outside objects or things and it's a get your ass kicked area. The New City or whatever it is called is also a good place to fight, but if you are gonna have a stage as big as those two, gotta do something about the camera moving out and the game slowing up.

Though in their defense they did put in the build a stage so I may just have to do that. I love this mode. I built "The Box" It's basically just that, a huge box with one way in and one way out! You start the match on top of the box and then you gotta jump in. Once in, the chances of you getting "smashed" out is very slim. I've been up to 700% damage! it's a fun fest :P
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.19.08 10:36am

sharonlover wrote:I built "The Box" It's basically just that, a huge box with one way in and one way out! You start the match on top of the box and then you gotta jump in. Once in, the chances of you getting "smashed" out is very slim. I've been up to 700% damage! it's a fun fest :P
I did something like that. But I put Spikes on top so people wouldn't stay there. for protection after dying. I also put to walls in the middle for wall-jumping.

I loved the fact they slowed the game down. Melee was too fast, and almost everyone relied on button-smashing. Brawl, on the opposite, relies more on strategy and thinking. I thought this should be important for Metroid fans...
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Abodos

Gamma Metroid

Postby Abodos » 06.19.08 1:49pm

They should fix up the clone characters in the next game. A few clones here and there are fine, just as long as they're different enough from the original fighter to give motivation to choose the clone over the original (i.e., Luigi's standard and special moves are different enough from Mario, and his Final Smash is completely different). But clones such as Toon Link, Ike, Lucas, or, worst of all, Falco and Wolf, have the exact same special moves and Final Smashes, therebye removing any motivation to play as the clones or originals. Clones need to be differentiated a lot more next time.
You know those classical pieces that you always hear in cartoons but you don't know the names of? See if you can find a few here.

Maetch

Zeta Metroid

Postby Maetch » 06.19.08 1:51pm

Changes are as follows:

*Get rid of Mario's FLUDD and restore the Mario Tornado.

*Cut down on playable Pokemon. Pikachu and Jigglypuff can stay since they're tertiary characters, but no more than four total. Especially get rid of the Pokemon Trainer, as he was just an excuse to squeeze more Pokemon in without taking up slots.

*Alternate costumes as well as colors. They let Wario keep his classic overalls, so why not give everyone else a new outfit? I'd love to see Samus wear the actual Fusion suit in battle, instead of a Varia Suit with similiar color.

*Stages from ALL previous Smash Bros. games, not just the recent one. Also, makes sure they're the good ones. I want Saffron City from N64, not the boring Yoshi's Island.

*Lower Norfair as a stage theme WITH music. No more damn Brinstar remixes.

*Target Test returns to "unique to each character".

*Classic Mode and All-Star Mode return to fully random opponents like Melee.

*Adventure Mode stays as-is, gameplay wise, but should have a bit more of a plot. A narrator chronicalling the story and actions would've greatly helped.

*Ganondorf gets a truly unique moveset.

*Melee's Pokemon Stadium is cut (Brawl has its own version, so why recycle what's essentially the exact same stage?) and Poke Floats replaces it.
:metroid: = Ultimate Warrior
8) = Ultimate Warrior
Therefore, 8) = :metroid:

Now you know why they call it Metroid.

---

This is the song, written for the chase scene!
This is the song, Samus and James!
He tri-ied to kill me with a forklift! (Ole!)

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.19.08 1:54pm

Abodos wrote:But clones such as Toon Link, Ike, Lucas, or, worst of all, Falco and Wolf, have the exact same special moves and Final Smashes.
What? Ike isn't a clone! Roy was!

Maetch wrote:*Classic Mode and All-Star Mode return to fully random opponents like Melee.
Classic mode is fully random, except for the fact that the characters fight in their homeworld. And the first battle is always against The Legend of Zelda.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 06.19.08 10:14pm

I do not agree with everything that has been said, but this is the only bit that motivated me to respond:
Maetch wrote:*Melee's Pokemon Stadium is cut (Brawl has its own version, so why recycle what's essentially the exact same stage?) and Poke Floats replaces it.
Have you spent a decent amount of time on either stage? The basic versions are almost the same, but the transformations are radically different.
AMETROIDGUY: The Bitch Is Back.( Sometimes.)
Thanks for making me love proper grammar & hate most people on the Internet. :P
OhThatEthanMiguel/AKAGamerGuy/NintendoGaymer around the web. Follow/subscribe! Also: G+ tumblr LJ
FCs
My blog, Don't Read This Yet! .net( a.k.a. DRTYnet)

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.20.08 5:54am

AMetroidGuy wrote:
Maetch wrote:*Melee's Pokemon Stadium is cut (Brawl has its own version, so why recycle what's essentially the exact same stage?) and Poke Floats replaces it.
Have you spent a decent amount of time on either stage? The basic versions are almost the same, but the transformations are radically different.
I concurr. I also want Flat Zone 1 to return in the next Smash. It's a similar case. The basic stage is similar, but the transformations makes them all worth it.

Plus, seeing that the characters who received Melee stages were the Original Twelve, the next generation of old stages will be for the characters from Melee.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Maetch

Zeta Metroid

Postby Maetch » 06.21.08 10:55am

MeinsOmniLordNanerCareg wrote:Classic mode is fully random, except for the fact that the characters fight in their homeworld. And the first battle is always against The Legend of Zelda.

Hardly. The fight list is always in a semi-set order. The only "random" part is the theme, such as Metal or Giant

Stage 1: Zelda series
Stage 2: Donkey Kong and Yoshi series
Stage 3: Pokemon series
Stage 4: Mother (EarthBound) and Fire Emblem series
Break the Targets 1
Stage 5: Kirby series
Stage 6: Pikmin and Metroid series
Stage 7: Star Fox and F-Zero series
Stage 8: Mario series
Stage 9: Kid Icarus, Game and Watch, Ice Climbers and/or R.O.B.
Stage 10: Metal Gear, Wario, and Sonic series
Break the Targets 2
Stage 11: Three random characters not in previous levels
Stage 12: Master Hand (& Crazy Hand)
:metroid: = Ultimate Warrior
8) = Ultimate Warrior
Therefore, 8) = :metroid:

Now you know why they call it Metroid.

---

This is the song, written for the chase scene!
This is the song, Samus and James!
He tri-ied to kill me with a forklift! (Ole!)

MAZZ0Murder

Zeta Metroid

Postby MAZZ0Murder » 06.22.08 12:36am

Maybe build on the next one, and make the characters have a team Brawl...meaning in a two vs two game if one gets a brawl thingy, then make both of them do a brawl...maybe a unique one for certain character combinations (for example Mario and Luigi can do a special one, where as one may do his old smash attack with another character)

Such a thing seems really difficult to create though

Molenater

Hatchling

Postby Molenater » 08.05.08 10:55am

They need to take away marios useless fludd and make Ganandorf use his sword.
You guessed it. ITS PRIME TIME!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMolenater2

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 08.05.08 11:55am

Yeah. If Ganondorf was an Ike clone, I would understand. But Captain Falcon?
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Silverevilchao

Metroid

Postby Silverevilchao » 08.05.08 4:32pm

They need to make Samus the Prime 3 Samus. I don't get why they made Link and Zelda their Twilight Princess versions when they kept Samus at her Super Metroid version. :/

Also, more elaborate costumes. I'd love to see Samus in a legitmate Fusion, Dark, or Light Suit, rather than recolors that simply look it.

And get rid of clones. They did a good job of making some of the clones less clone-y (Falco, Wolf and Luigi, for instance), but most of them are still too similar (Toon Link, Lucas, Ganondorf). Just give them separate movesets!

Make the Adventure mode contain more Nintendo enemies and locations. The game's not canon, so why not go all-out with the insane fanservice?

Bring back individual Target Smash stages. There were some (Lv.4 with Ike) that were virtually impossible, and others (Lv.5 with Fox) that were waaay too easy. Having individual stages made you really utilize the abilities of the characters, rather than repeating the same route over and over again with different characters.

Ridley, please. If you can put Bowser in there, you sure as hell can put in Ridley.

Make Boss Battles at least slightly possible on the normal levels. They're just too damn hard as is with no continues.

More Metroid Prime stages. Hell, more Metroid stages in general. The Metroid series has so many rich and varied environments, yet it feels like they're underutilized. Also, bring back Brinstar Depths. That was freaking awesome.

On that note, more stages. Have something crazy, like at least 75 stages or something. That would really give the developer a chance to really utilize levels from the series.

And have Amaterasu from Okami as the new third-party character. She's perfect for the game - plenty of long-range (rosaries) short range (swords) and defensive (mirrors) attacks. Plus her Final Smash could be her turning into UBER SUPER MEGA GOD Amaterasu to own everyone with brushstrokes (Wind to push people off of the screen, fire to set them on fire and fly in the air, Bloom to make them fall asleep, etc.).

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 08.05.08 5:43pm

Silverevilchao wrote:They need to make Samus the Prime 3 Samus. I don't get why they made Link and Zelda their Twilight Princess versions when they kept Samus at her Super Metroid version. :/
Because the Varia rules.

Silverevilchao wrote:Also, more elaborate costumes. I'd love to see Samus in a legitmate Fusion, Dark, or Light Suit, rather than recolors that simply look it.
It's not that simple. The palettes need to be exactly the same shape, like Wario. His alternate suit is nothing more than an elaborate palette swap.

Silverevilchao wrote:Bring back individual Target Smash stages. There were some (Lv.4 with Ike) that were virtually impossible, and others (Lv.5 with Fox) that were waaay too easy. Having individual stages made you really utilize the abilities of the characters, rather than repeating the same route over and over again with different characters.
I agree.

Silverevilchao wrote:Make Boss Battles at least slightly possible on the normal levels. They're just too damn hard as is with no continues.
I also agree.

Silverevilchao wrote:More Metroid Prime stages. Hell, more Metroid stages in general. The Metroid series has so many rich and varied environments, yet it feels like they're underutilized. Also, bring back Brinstar Depths. That was freaking awesome.
Hell, Samus is the character with the most stages for her alone. No other character has 3 exclusive stages.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.