Super Smash Bros.: Helping or hurting each series?

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!

Moderator: Moderators

HYRUL3

SA-X

Re: Super Smash Bros.: Helping or hurting each series?

Postby HYRUL3 » 03.27.11 1:50pm

I don't think the SSB series can hurt the series it represents at all. It's like advertising... if you're interested, you look into the product.

Brawl only HELPED the series it represented with the playable demos you could access through the Wii Store. It was like "hey, give these a try. You'll probably REALLY like them. And if you don't, it's only a few minutes spent."

This is why I hope on Nintendo's next console, they become a lot more online friendly, and incorporate downloadable demos. Otherwise, how are people supposed to know if they want to play your game or not? On my XBOX and PS3, I have downloaded countless demos, and it has really helped me separate the wheat from the chaff. I never would have my burning desire for the Mortal Kombat game if I hadn't downloaded that demo.

Seriously though. SSBB really helped the series it represented. Nintendo needs to get better advertising and incorporate playable demos. Some series, like Mario and Pokemon, can rely on nostalgia and word of mouth alone to get their advertising done. Metroid and a few other series like F-Zero, are not in that category. This is where demos would really help.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

AngusRidley

Metroid

Postby AngusRidley » 03.31.11 8:12pm

BooDestroyer wrote:
AngusRidley wrote:im not touching F-Zero if you cant even falcon punch. I think it helps the series' popularity

If it won't happen in an F-Zero title, then how does it help the popularity of it at all? That means this series is killed by it. (Better yet, what popularity? This series hasn't seen another game since 2004.)

The different series in general are helped. I mean, I am now addicted to kirby's adventure and SMB3 cause of smash bros (and vNES :P), and each series seemed bad to me before.
Give a hoot. Save Ridley. Join the RCPA(Ridley cruelty protection agency) :P

PXNDXMTRD

Egg

Postby PXNDXMTRD » 04.07.11 1:24pm

Mewtwo wrote:So much tl;dr in this thread but hey, heres my two cents:

People havent heard of X underrated nintendo series.
Super Smash Bros comes out.
Some people know the characters, never know what games theyre from
Some people get an interest, get into the games, X underrated game has one more fan.

Now if Smash Bros never came out, people would just never find out about the series anyway.
I dunno if I'm making sense, but in my view, smash bros isn't negative, it can only really make a neutral or a positive impact on a series.

I know I got into Metroid, Kirby, Fire Emblem and Warioware through Super Smash Bros (through various incarnations)
I couldn't ever say its a bad thing. Also its almost educational when I get the game out and play with friends, and they ask why my robot character suddenly turned into a sexy woman, I can educate them on a new series :D

I totally agree. It it wrnt for Melee I never would have found out about Metroid or Samus. I probably would still have thought Samus was a Robot! I also agree that when people playy Smash bros & theyy askk me whyy I refer to Samus the Robot as a "She" it makkes them curious about the Metroid Games..
"Takke What Yyou Can! Give Nothing Backk!!"
Also don't forget to eat Crunchyy Pudding!! XD

DEEPFREEZE

Hatchling

Postby DEEPFREEZE » 04.11.11 9:32pm

:thumbsdown: i disagree with the OP and agree with most of the posters here. i was introduced into metroid and other not so well known franchises through SSB. aaahhh the memories I have of first playing SSB 64 and being one of the stupid ignorant non fans dumbfoundedly asking "METROID IS A GIRL?" and than finding out this girl's name is samus hahaha. I then bought fusion and loved that game. and now i have almost every metroid game. when playing brawl i wanted to know who that boy angel was and why i never heard of him. and that is why i cant wait to see pit back in action in kid icarus uprising.
"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

BooDestroyer

Hatchling

Postby BooDestroyer » 04.12.11 12:06am

AngusRidley wrote:The different series in general are helped. I mean, I am now addicted to kirby's adventure and SMB3 cause of smash bros (and vNES :P), and each series seemed bad to me before.

Wait, you relied on Smash Bros. to get you into the legendary Super Mario Bros. 3...? o_O

I'm sorry, but that's just sad.

DEEPFREEZE wrote:i disagree with the OP and agree with most of the posters here.

.........Did you even read anything I said in my first post?
Last edited by BooDestroyer on 04.12.11 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

kronoridley

Kraid

Postby kronoridley » 04.12.11 12:12am

I think the first two helped all of the franchises. Brawl on the other hand......suffice to say I slapped a few of my friends in the face.

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

BooDestroyer

Hatchling

Postby BooDestroyer » 04.12.11 12:14am

kronoridley wrote:I think the first two helped all of the franchises. Brawl on the other hand......suffice to say I slapped a few of my friends in the face.

Ah alright, that's more like it. The first two installments were actually quite the helping hands. Whatever was applied in Melee was all fine. But Brawl is what made people really screw off.

Many Smashtards don't know shit about most of the series represented. It's something that we're simply getting used to.

DEEPFREEZE

Hatchling

Postby DEEPFREEZE » 04.12.11 9:07am

BooDestroyer wrote:

.........Did you even read anything I said in my first post?

did YOU even read my entire post? -_-;
coming from my own experience i disagree with what you stated that players will not bother to find out who these characters really are and what types of games they're in. if i didn't play SSB i wouldn't even be here right now replying. And about characters like captain falcon and fox being characterised differently than they are supposed to.......i dunno. i guess they didn't have any idea what moves and attacks to give captain falcon and others so they had to improvise by creating the famous falcon punch and firefox. :D
Last edited by DEEPFREEZE on 04.12.11 1:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

BooDestroyer

Hatchling

Postby BooDestroyer » 04.12.11 1:05pm

Yes, the Falcon Punch is famous alright. More famous than F-Zero itself.

Better yet, F-ZeWHAT?

DEEPFREEZE

Hatchling

Postby DEEPFREEZE » 04.12.11 1:09pm

BooDestroyer wrote:Yes, the Falcon Punch is famous alright. More famous than F-Zero itself.

>_< now that i realized it, that is pretty sad

HYRUL3

SA-X

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.12.11 4:05pm

I would have to say that SSB is a gateway game... you learn about awesome franchises through it and people who are actually interested in gaming (on more than just a casual basis) will pursue those franchises and see if they are worth playing and becoming a fan of.

I really can't say it "hurts" a series by displaying it in an awesome ensemble game any more than cheese's reputation would be hurt by being in an awesome quesadilla.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

AngusRidley

Metroid

Postby AngusRidley » 04.12.11 9:41pm

BooDestroyer wrote:
AngusRidley wrote:The different series in general are helped. I mean, I am now addicted to kirby's adventure and SMB3 cause of smash bros (and vNES :P), and each series seemed bad to me before.

Wait, you relied on Smash Bros. to get you into the legendary Super Mario Bros. 3...? o_O

I'm sorry, but that's just sad.

I hadnt been into mario, other than possibly the new one for DS. You're right, that game is FUCKING AMAZING.
Give a hoot. Save Ridley. Join the RCPA(Ridley cruelty protection agency) :P

Sanguiluna

Mochtroid

Postby Sanguiluna » 10.05.11 3:44pm

I think SSB has definitely helped series that hadn't been getting much exposure (Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and to an extent, even Metroid); you wouldn't be wrong if you said that Brawl was responsible for revitalizing Pit's career. But I don't see how it can ever HURT a series though. Maybe it didn't help some series as much as they hoped, but I can't see any logical way that SSB could ever cause a series' sales to suffer; it's not like a Zelda or a Kirby fan played SSB and decided that they were no longer going to buy Zelda or Kirby games anymore. Doesn't make sense.

One thing that's always annoyed me, though, is that elitist attitude among a few SSB gamers that "Ha, I was playing that franchise before SSB came out and you only know about it because of SSB, so I'm a true fan and I'm better than you! lolololol!"

Okay, one question: If you were a "true fan" of a franchise, shouldn't you be HAPPY that more people are getting into it and not care how they got into it? z:/

As far as the F-Zero example goes, as I said already, I don't see how SSB could've hurt F-Zero sales. I can't imagine F-Zero fans playing SSB and then deciding that they don't like F-Zero anymore. It doesn't add up. I can imagine the opposite effect (SSB getting some players into F-Zero) since at least that's logical. Maybe one can say that SSB didn't boost F-Zero's popularity as much as they wanted, at least that would make sense.

And I'll be honest, as someone who's never been a fan of racing games in general, I love Captain Falcon in SSB but have no interest in F-Zero; Same goes for Ness and Earthbound, or Kirby. And I don't think I should have to apologize for my personal likes and dislikes.

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 10.05.11 9:30pm

Eh, by the time I got to playing my first SSB which was Melee, I had already known at least something about any character that didn't speak Japanese. The advertising scheme did work as it got me to buying the both of the English Fire Emblems released on consoles.

I'm itching for a new F-Zero game... I find Sci-Fi racing games easy to get in to. Heh, why not give Retro a shot at F-Zero since they've proven to be really good with aesthetics (as far as the Metroid Prime trilogy goes at least). I wonder how many of the Prime trilogy staff are still with Retro...

EDIT: I meant the Prime trilogy as far as I know. Haven't seen much of DKR
Last edited by Remnants on 10.06.11 12:39pm, edited 2 times in total.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 10.06.11 7:32am

Hmm... Interesting idea. Retro did a great job in the Prime Trilogy and Country Returns. I believe an F-Zero game would suit them well, even though they apparently don't have any experience in racing games...

Off-topic: Now that I'm thinking about it, both Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Return to Dreamland are 2.5D Wii sidescrollers from secondary Nintendo franchises based on games from the '90s with "return" in the title. Hm.
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

PreviousNext

Return to Super Smash Bros.