They could have done better with her in SSB

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Dark Samus Aran

Alpha Metroid

They could have done better with her in SSB

Postby Dark Samus Aran » 04.22.12 8:37am

First her suit looks to clunky, like by her knees, her thighs, her arms, and the likes.
Her moves are so predictable.,
And theres to little other Metroid characters.
At least add a less powerfull and smaller Ridley, Dark Samus (duh), A Galactic Fed. Member, better looking suits, ooo and the SA-X. :s-logo:
[METROID] -Dark Samus Aran Out- [METROID]

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Re: They could have done better with her in SSB

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.22.12 9:36am

They used her suit design from Super Metroid, hence the bulk. I agree that she's slow, in my opinion Samus should be fast. They haven't included too many Metroid characters because the games don't have as many ICONIC small/humanoid characters, and at the time Brawl was being developed so was Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. So, if I were to guess, they didn't have time/fans were unfamiliar with the new Hunters. Dark Samus would essentially be another Samus...

But there's hope. Nintendo announced a new Smash Bros. both for Wii U and 3DS. And sometimes the trophies hint at future characters (Pit anyone?). In Brawl they had trophies for all the Hunters from... well, Hunters.

Sylux would have my vote for additional character. Electrical attacks with ongoing damage? Cool. His final smash could be calling in the Delano 7 to dish out some serious pain.

Anthony could be a cool addition. Plasma cannon final smash? Showing noobs how to be subtle?
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.22.12 1:32pm

You're complaining about the N64 Samus looking clunky?
Excuse me a moment...
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 04.22.12 3:04pm

I thought she was good in 64 and Melee. She got whacked with the Nerf Bat in Brawl, though, but I'm getting the hang of her. If I'm not mistaken, the Brawl suit was modeled after Prime, right?

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.22.12 4:32pm

I thought she was good in 64 and Melee. She got whacked with the Nerf Bat in Brawl, though, but I'm getting the hang of her. If I'm not mistaken, the Brawl suit was modeled after Prime, right?
I don't think so... I think it looks a lot like a 3D-ed Super Metroid version of the Varia Suit... not as metallic and less sleek.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

doc O. Mire

Omega Metroid

Postby doc O. Mire » 04.22.12 5:48pm

I'd hope that, next game, they include some more of Samus' staple items like the ice beam, space jump and powerbomb. And perhaps her dash could be changed to a speedboost, giving her a literal speed boost up to Shiek and Zero-Suit Samus tier. Also, while on the subject, ZSS was great and all, but I'd have preferred if the speed and agility were given to normal Samus instead at perhaps the cost of a little bit of range on her specials, and Zero Suit was cut out except as maybe a taunt.

As for adding more characters from metroid, I'd very much like to see Anthony, Dark Samus, Ridley, or an Omega Metroid :metroid:
"Writing is easy. You just stare at a blank page until your forehead starts to bleed." - Douglas Adams

DrevanZero

Gamma Metroid

Postby DrevanZero » 04.23.12 5:46am

What i honestly dont understand is why they decided to use the Super Metroid suit in Brawl. Melee I can understand, because Prime didnt exist yet, but Why Brawl? Why? The Prime 1 Varia is most likely how most people who don't know all about Metroid see samus, and also, at least IMO, is FAR better looking than any representations of Supers suit.
Forget queen metroid, I'M THE KING!
Shut up or I will pour a pot of steaming-hot emo on you!!!
Check out my fangame site at: http://metroidrevival.freeforums.org/index.php

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.23.12 6:27am

If you read the "Favorite Version of the Varia Suit" topic, you'll see that the Super and Prime versions are about neck and neck... Also a lot of older gamers remember that suit from their youth and get all nostalgic. Since Metroid has never sold super well, I doubt it would make much of a difference to modern, younger gamers- they see orange suit with green cannon arm and it's that Samus guy from SSB. They can't spot the differences in suit design.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 04.23.12 7:40am

Eh, Samus was never the best character in the game, but she still was pretty darn fun to play with. And...

I personally hope next Smash will have Samus in her Other M look.
*raises shields and runs away*
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 04.23.12 10:36am

I don't even want to imagine the backlash that would cause, especially if they replaced all the Prime references with Other M stuff.

It would almost be as bad as putting zero suit Samus in Dead or Alive 5.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.23.12 11:19am

They could just, you know, have a bunch of trophies covering her whole history... Prime and Other M included, like how they have trophies for Prime and main series...

And they could have different versions of suits as alt costumes.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 04.23.12 11:34am

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a worst case scenario if they did all that stuff. You gotta admit that people would be pissed if the least popular version of Samus was the only choice.

DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 04.23.12 2:11pm

I think they totally have it bass-ackwards with Samus and ZSS. Her as ZSS in any Metroid game is never a good thing, she's much weaker and WAAAAYYY more vulnerable, and yet ZSS is somehow tougher in SSBB. Dubya tee eff?

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 04.23.12 2:26pm

I actually hope some characters (like Mario, Wario, Samus, Link and a few others) support different looks without affecting the gameplay. That way, everyone would be happy.

I also think it would be interesting to see characters like Samus and Pit supporting different weapons. Samus could easily have her B replaced by a choice between Ice, Wave and Plasma beams, each one with advantages and disadvantages.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

doc O. Mire

Omega Metroid

Postby doc O. Mire » 04.23.12 3:15pm

I actually hope some characters (like Mario, Wario, Samus, Link and a few others) support different looks without affecting the gameplay. That way, everyone would be happy.

I also think it would be interesting to see characters like Samus and Pit supporting different weapons. Samus could easily have her B replaced by a choice between Ice, Wave and Plasma beams, each one with advantages and disadvantages.
Wow, I had exactly the same idea. Something along the lines of what Soul Calibur 2 did (not sure if the others did it, as 2 is the only one I'm familiar with). There, Link could choose to wield a staff, the master sword, the razor sword, the mirror shield, the two-handed great fairy sword, etc.

Now if each character in the next SSB game could have something similar, and still have the game balanced (which might be one of the games' bigger problems at the moment) it would give the series with an already mind-numbing number of options even more freedom to choose.
"Writing is easy. You just stare at a blank page until your forehead starts to bleed." - Douglas Adams

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.