Supporting more Metroid for Smash Bros. 4

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Re: Supporting more Metroid for Smash Bros. 4

Postby Doc Scratch » 11.08.14 10:13pm

>No sight of Dark Samus' Theme or Mother Brain's theme despite both being assist trophies
But you see, 8 bit Escape theme is Dark Samus' theme. Remember the final boss battle in Prime 2? :AH:

No, I'm not being serious.
Suckers.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.08.14 10:21pm

I thought the reason why music from the Primes can't be used is because they were American made but they have the MP2:E multiplayer theme... Odd.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 11.08.14 10:32pm

New Metroid title theme

I'm not a fan.
Suckers.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 11.09.14 12:54am

New Metroid title theme

I'm not a fan.
At least Metroid get 1 new remix of some kind, and a good one at that. This is from the default soundtrack, so if there are more songs to unlock, there's hopefully at least 1 more new remix, preferably a Prime Trilogy track. I'm just hoping that there's Prime 3 stuff in Smash 4 somewhere, since that game didn't get any representation in Brawl.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.11.14 8:52pm

Made a mistake. Looks like the Escape Theme is a remix instead of just porting the nes version. Has a bit of Brinstar (again) in it as well.

Not really a fan. The orchestration really mellows out the suspense that is possible to be achieved in the song (like in Zero Mission's or Metroid Prime 2's version of Escape) but it's certainly not terrible.

EDIT:
Apparently in Event Match there's a match called "Galactic Avenger", where you are Samus fighting against a Dark Samus Pallete Samus and Ridley on the Pyrosphere, and you have to KO them both to win with 150 HP.

Sounds meh because:
  • Dark Samus is just a Samus palette, and Ridley is just a dumb AI
    Neither of the two above are Playable
    Neither Mother Brain or a Metroid seem to Assist them against you in battle
Missed opportunity but it seems to have been the best they could do. :|
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Dark Prime Samus

Metroid

Postby Dark Prime Samus » 11.20.14 1:41am

So it seems that as long as Sakurai is the Director of Smash, Ridley will never be playable. Hopefully they may consider a special mode where you can play as Ridley & other bosses vs. regular fighters. Until then I guess Dark Samus is now #1 for a Metroid newcomer in future installments/DLC.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.20.14 12:50pm

Or, SA-X. Would be kind of a Spider-Man - Venom difference to Samus. SA-X's attacks could revolve a lot around the use of tentacles and the parasite stuff while still retaining few similarities to Samus' moveset.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.20.14 8:14pm

I have always dreamed that one day, Sakurai will make sense to me, and that I could finally be able to understand, empathize, and relate to what he was saying in these various interviews that he does.

I generally like Sakurai, but it seems very clear from this point on from over these years that I will probably never, ever agree with him on much of anything.

This is the same man that, even though acknowledged in his own words that Melee was probably the mechanical achievement and depth of gameplay in the entire Smash Bros. franchise, doesn't want to pursue it and actively ignores it because “You can't let yourself get preoccupied with nothing but gameplay and balance details.”

This is the same man that concluded that Chrom wouldn't add much to the roster as a fighter in Smash Bros. I generally agreed, but then he turned around to try to defend and try to sell Lucina in the most hilarious and hypocritical way possible that made his previous opinions on Chrom fall flat.

This is the same man that, when brawl was released, did a good job of getting rid of clones/derivatives as much as possible, with the only major loss being Mewtwo. Yet, Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle/Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers, who were nowhere near the Melee clones are all scrapped while Toon Link is still there, Falco got in over Wolf, and Ganondorf is still and Falcon derivative, and the miniscule of development for these clones were spent on Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario.

This is the same man that said that he wouldn't add the Villager to the roster because he was “too peaceful”, but then realized how dumb and arbitrary of a reasoning that was and added him in Smash 4.

This is the same man that said “the 3DS version will not hold back the Wii U version”, yet this is proven to be a complete lie. Many of the changes to the characters in this game, whether positive or not, were the result of Sakurai wanting both versions to be the same despite there being no incentive to do so since the games barely have any connectivity between each other.

To elaborate further, this is the same man that was willing to completely scrap the Ice Climbers, a relatively unique fighter that is a familiar name to competitive players in both Melee and Brawl, because the 3DS could not handle them. He even admitted that the Ice Climbers was working fine (in some capacity) on the Wii U version, yet was still completely scrapped because a version of the game that shouldn't hold any weight on the Wii U version couldn't have them. If the 3DS users can't have them, then the Wii U users also must be punished. “If they can't have them, then no one can!” Logic?

And now we get to the controversial one: my man Riddles (Ridley). The Space Pirate Commander, Arch-nemesis and rival of Samus Aran and the most recurrent character in the franchise besides Samus and Metroids themselves.

This is the same man that claims that Ridley, being a playable character, “wouldn't be Ridley anymore”, and yet lacks the cognitive dissonance to realize that the “Ridley” on the Pyrosphere is the most bastardized version of Ridley I have yet witnessed. Upscaled from his actual fight in Other M (in Other M, he was barely more then Twice Samus' size, but now he's huge), filled with ugly and bloated textures, moves around the board at a speed of the snail (most of Ridley's traits in his fights are his aggressiveness), and will just glide around the stage allowing himself to get hit and seems to get stuck in a fixed path with limited AI. Yet, I'm supposed to believe that that better represents Ridley, even though it goes completely against everything that made his Boss Fights fun and popular to begin with, and got him to be a fan favorite of the franchise?

Despite Other M Ridley not having “Meta” form of any kind (nor is it even the same Ridley), and despite Meta-Ridley not being some Power Rangers transforming with willpower, after a while on the Pyrosphere he does just that: powers up to “Meta-Ridley”, despite it not even being Meta-Ridley! nor does it even look like Meta-Ridley, he just glows! Sure. Tell me that Ridley is a Vampire while you're at it.

Beat him up a bit, and he becomes your puppy. Playing as Samus/Zero Suit Samus? Doesn't matter. You'll be his mistress, and he'll fight for you like a good guard puppy. Even if you beat him up on his tail (name me one Metroid game where Ridley has a hitbox on his tail and can take damage from it) he will still fawn over you. Don't need Ridley anymore? Oh, you can just attack and kill Ridley yourself and throw him away when you no longer need him. He is your bitch in every way imaginable, not an agent that does his own thing.

Mother Brain didn't beat up Ridley for her to be the new leader of the Space Pirates of the base of Zebes. Ridley amused her with the power so that he could go a fulfill his bloodlust and wreck shit. Dark Samus was pure Phazon, and it was possible that the Phazon that the Space Pirates were using influenced the Space Pirates actions, even Ridley. Hell, even the Chozo ghosts, Chozos who ascended the physical plain, got corrupted by Phazon. Even Samus was getting corrupted with the Chozo Varia Suit.

But, Ridley getting punched a few times on the Pyrosphere will turn him into your puppy.

Ridley-me-this Sakurai, I'm supposed to sit here as me, a Metroid fan, and let you lecture me how this better accurately represents Ridley? You have the gall to make such an assertion? Despite that 5 Metroid stages in the franchise has a theme of Molten Lava/Acid (Planet Zebes, Brinstar, Brinstar Depths, Norfair, and Pyropshere), the only other stage to break this pattern is Frigate Orpheon, the 10-20 minute tutorial from Metroid Prime!

You have the audacity to try to say “it wouldn't be Ridley”, yet Samus barely represents how she controls in-game? Super floaty, slow, and feels like she lacks any sort of weight. Compared to most actual Metroid games, where she's fast, speedy, feels like she is actually someone wearing a suit of armor, and also able to use a variety of beams and such. Nad don't even get me started on Zero-Suit Samus. If you knew anything about Metroid, she wouldn't been be a playable character.

You have the audacity to try to say “it wouldn't be Ridley”, yet for more then a decade a common complaint against Ganondorf is that he doesn't feel like Ganondorf, being such a Falcon derivative, that you refuse to fix. Really? Bowser, DK, and Diddy still don't have their actual voices, but dumb animal voices that hardly represent them. Captain Falcon gets out of his Blue Falcon to fight, something that Falcon doesn't do in his games.

---

After all this, I realized that that day will never come. I will probably never be able to reconcile with Sakurai. Ever since the Brawl era he has done nothing but what I find to spout asinine reasonings, and consistently shows his ignorance at every turn. Constantly contradicting himself and exposing himself to be a hypocrite. Even more hilarious are the Smash fanboys that run with it.

Usually, whether I “like” or “dislike” a developer, it's usually either a developer does something very cool/awesome for consumers or a developers says something unprofessional or anti-consumer.

But for Sakurai, as much as I think he seems to be a nice person, it seems that my relationship with him is a bit more on a personal level (as personal as it it can go, anyway, with two people who know nothing about each other).

I just can't seem to agree with him on anything. Almost over a decade of me constantly facepalming or shaking my head every time he opens his mouth. Sakurai, you are a good developer, but I guess it's time for me to really stop trying to understand you, since I don't think it is within my capabilities to ever do so. We will never see eye to eye. That's okay, but I won't lie and say that it also isn't disappointing, since I have no ill will against you (I've said before that if given the opportunity, I wouldn't mind at all hanging out with Sakurai since he seems like a fun but somewhat silly person, and that still stands. I wouldn't even bring up why he added tripping in Brawl :P).

---

With that said, in regards to Smash Bros. Specifically in my opinion “Metroid is Kill.” It's dead. Constant terrible song selections, constant terrible stage selections, Ridley and Dark Samus are dead in the water. Samus and Latex Samus is apparently enough. Do you know how much hype around Metroid there would be in Samus, Ridley and Dark Samus was on that roster? The badassery? The casuals going “who the heck is that Cunning Dragon? Who's that cool and maniacal doppelganger? Let me check out Metroid myself.”

But nope, Just Samus and Sexy Samus is all they'll get, all they'll see, and all they'll care about. Great. Fantastic. Oh, and you get a lava-themed stage, you get a lava themed stage, everyone gets a lava themed stage! That will get more people invested in our franchise! I swear!

For those that are wondering, yes I still stand by all of my arguments that we had about Ridley. I stand by them to the bitter end: it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. The arguments against him are not only I feel still illogical and make him the exception, when other characters have already proven to bypass them, but Ridley can't because bias. But, it is what it is. There's nothing I can do about it.

But once again I'm more worried about Metroid in general. Ridley, who's crazy popular in the west is dead, was does this even mean for the likes of Dark Samus? If Ridley couldn't even get in for Metroid, does she even stand a chance? I don't know man. Metroid may never get another character. The main character's arch-nemesis couldn't even make it in. And they try their damnest to ignore Prime and pretend it never happened. It is probably over for Metroid.

But who am I kidding? Obviously Sakurai knows what best for me and the Metroid franchise. I'll leave in his hands with Smash Bros, since he's doing a stellar job of it thus far.

Anyways, if you read through all of this, I appreciate you getting through my rant. Just needed to let it off my chest.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.20.14 10:24pm

Damn... Zynux. I laughed. I cried. That was beautiful...
If only he could read that. He'd probably wanna go to an amusement park with you.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.