Controls are delayed

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Bomber Bob

Metroid

Controls are delayed

Postby Bomber Bob » 02.23.14 4:55pm

When I play an online brawl, it's delayed by a huge amount. Is that normal? And are brawls with friends the same way?

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Re: Controls are delayed

Postby fs_feedback » 02.23.14 5:51pm

Controls being delayed can come down to a lot of things. Lag from the online connection, what type of television you are using (CRT, LCD, LED, Plasma), and things like response rate of the television. The response rate is one of the biggest issues in the pro fighting game community, and this is why any TV with a 2ms or above response rate is considered unplayable. Although if you are not experiencing delay in things such as single player or any kind of offline play then I would assume it is the connection with the people you are playing against.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 02.23.14 5:55pm

Nintendo's online is pretty weak.

No dedicated servers and the Wii wasn't a strong machine.

If by "with friends" you mean playing with people on the same console, not in the slightest.

if you mean with friends online, even relatively close ones... still bad.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 02.23.14 6:31pm

http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-5997.html

From my understanding it seems that Brawl has up to two frames input lag across the board for all buttons, not just exclusively to online play. Doesn't help if you're using wireless controllers. The Modders of Project M figured this out when they were updating the code. Explains why Brawl (and earlier builds of Project M) were so clunky.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Bomber Bob

Metroid

Postby Bomber Bob » 02.23.14 7:30pm

http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-5997.html

From my understanding it seems that Brawl has up to two frames input lag across the board for all buttons, not just exclusively to online play. Doesn't help if you're using wireless controllers. The Modders of Project M figured this out when they were updating the code. Explains why Brawl (and earlier builds of Project M) were so clunky.
In all the years I've been playing Brawl, I never noticed that before. Thanks for the info!
Nintendo's online is pretty weak.

No dedicated servers and the Wii wasn't a strong machine.

If by "with friends" you mean playing with people on the same console, not in the slightest.

if you mean with friends online, even relatively close ones... still bad.
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I meant online games. I saw somebody say on the forum back in '08 that the online lag was fixed. Well seeming that its back, do you think it has to do with how many players are online simultaneously? Or do you think it's just a server upkeep failure by Nintendo staff?

Controls being delayed can come down to a lot of things. Lag from the online connection, what type of television you are using (CRT, LCD, LED, Plasma), and things like response rate of the television. The response rate is one of the biggest issues in the pro fighting game community, and this is why any TV with a 2ms or above response rate is considered unplayable. Although if you are not experiencing delay in things such as single player or any kind of offline play then I would assume it is the connection with the people you are playing against.
I didn't know that about the 2ms response time. I would imagine the Wii u would be a better platform to play Brawl on because of HDMI; it's all 1's & 0's and I would imagine that gets transmitted from console-to-TV faster than analogue. Thanks for the info!
Bomber
Bob BB
Designed by God in Heaven. Yay

Games:

1. Metroid;
3. Super Metroid;
6. Metroid: Zero Mission;
5. Metroid Prime;
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes;
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption;
7. Metroid Prime: Hunters;
11. Metroid: Other M;

I have 8/11 Metroids... Just 3 more to go.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.