My Wii Died; 249/250 Songs Went With It

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Bomber Bob

Metroid

My Wii Died; 249/250 Songs Went With It

Postby Bomber Bob » 03.27.14 2:10am

My disk drive in my white Wii died. Taking 249/250 songs with it and well over 500 stickers, but not 600. It also took a little over 300 trophies. I was so bummed. Now I have a black Wii and I can play it again... But to lose 4 years of gameplay still hurts to this day. I am so bummed. Does anyone know how to get it back?
Bomber
Bob BB
Designed by God in Heaven. Yay

Games:

1. Metroid;
3. Super Metroid;
6. Metroid: Zero Mission;
5. Metroid Prime;
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes;
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption;
7. Metroid Prime: Hunters;
11. Metroid: Other M;

I have 8/11 Metroids... Just 3 more to go.

Apothem

Re: My Wii Died; 249/250 Songs Went With It

Postby Apothem » 03.27.14 6:04am

I dunno what game you're talking about exactly so I'll assume it's Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as that's the only Wii game I know of where you can collect such things, unless there are other games, or a more general system feature, as such that I'm unaware of.

If by "disk drive" you mean the systems optical drive, the one that reads game disks, then you should be able to recover your Wii's Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and potentially swap it out with the one in your new black Wii. You might even be able to swap out optical drives and thus not need to transfer HDDs. I'm not terribly familiar with the physical innards of the system, or what minute differences there may be between retail versions such as early white models and more recent black models. I do know, though, that HDDs and optical drive are rarely, if ever, soldered into the system, meaning you should at least have the option of removing them easily.

If you mean instead that your original Wii's HDD is busted than you're out of luck. Otherwise, I'd suggest first Googling how to check both systems model number, whether or not their HDDs are cross-compatible, and then if they are, how to remove and replace them. As for tools, all you'll need is a small precision Phillips-head and a similarly sized precision tri-wing screwdriver. Phillips, like flat-heads, can be found nearly anywhere, but for the small precision models your best bet is a hardware/home improvement store. You might also find a tri-wing there but I had to pick up mine from an electronics specialty store, specifically Fry's. More general electronics shops like Best Buy don't tend to carry them, but I'm certain availability differs by region.

All told it's less work than it sounds. I've mulled about in consoles before, just not the Wii much, and typically everything simply plugs and slots into place. You pop out a few screw, detach a few cables, remove what you're after then rinse and repeat for the transfer unit and you're done! Do note, however, that any of this WILL void your warranty. I dunno if Nintendo offers a similar service, and since your old unit is 4 years old and likely unwarranted then I'd imagine if they did it'd be unnecessarily costly. If you want that data back you'll just have to take that minor risk.

Remember: As always, in these matters Google is your friend. Unless you're familiar with this sort of thing, you'll probably need it. A lot.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 03.27.14 8:17am

I dunno what game you're talking about exactly so I'll assume it's Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as that's the only Wii game I know of where you can collect such things, unless there are other games, or a more general system feature, as such that I'm unaware of.

If by "disk drive" you mean the systems optical drive, the one that reads game disks, then you should be able to recover your Wii's Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and potentially swap it out with the one in your new black Wii. You might even be able to swap out optical drives and thus not need to transfer HDDs. I'm not terribly familiar with the physical innards of the system, or what minute differences there may be between retail versions such as early white models and more recent black models. I do know, though, that HDDs and optical drive are rarely, if ever, soldered into the system, meaning you should at least have the option of removing them easily.
Yes what exactly do you mean by disc drive. I may be able to help with more information.

If you mean instead that your original Wii's HDD is busted than you're out of luck. Otherwise, I'd suggest first Googling how to check both systems model number, whether or not their HDDs are cross-compatible, and then if they are, how to remove and replace them. As for tools, all you'll need is a small precision Phillips-head and a similarly sized precision tri-wing screwdriver. Phillips, like flat-heads, can be found nearly anywhere, but for the small precision models your best bet is a hardware/home improvement store. You might also find a tri-wing there but I had to pick up mine from an electronics specialty store, specifically Fry's. More general electronics shops like Best Buy don't tend to carry them, but I'm certain availability differs by region.
Not necessarily. He may be able to recover his files. I am very familiar with the innards of the Wii but again require more info from the OP in order to help more.
The Wii doesn't have an actual HDD. So if there is one the OP added it and if that's the case then its quite easy to recover. That is, if it is not to damaged. -_-;

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Bomber Bob

Metroid

Postby Bomber Bob » 03.29.14 3:47am

After being able to play downloaded games from the Nintendo Shop, I've concluded that it's only the DVD drive that went bad. It won't load disc-based games anymore.
He may be able to recover his files. I am very familiar with the innards of the Wii but again require more info from the OP in order to help more.
The Wii doesn't have an actual HDD. So if there is one the OP added it and if that's the case then its quite easy to recover. That is, if it is not to damaged. -_-;

VGM out...
The modifications to my Wiis are non-existent; there has been no modification to my 2 Wiis.

The game that I have earned all of that content in is Brawl.

Thank you all for your wonderful, and kind help.
Bomber
Bob BB
Designed by God in Heaven. Yay

Games:

1. Metroid;
3. Super Metroid;
6. Metroid: Zero Mission;
5. Metroid Prime;
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes;
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption;
7. Metroid Prime: Hunters;
11. Metroid: Other M;

I have 8/11 Metroids... Just 3 more to go.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.29.14 5:33am

If you put that much time into Brawl that might've been what killed the optical drive. The game's burned onto a double layer DVD which puts the Wii's optical drive through hell. This was a well documented problem back in the day, and still is for many systems. Luckily, Nintendo offers free repairs for the optical drive. If the link gives you any trouble you can always call up customer support. This particular repair service seems to be independent of warranty, but it never hurts to get in touch directly when you can.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.