An important part of Samus is changing

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Bomber Bob

Metroid

An important part of Samus is changing

Postby Bomber Bob » 04.01.14 2:53am

I have realized that they are changing an important part of Samus in SSB:U. And I have put together two pictures to showcase this.

In the first picture attached, you can see that the charged beam's animation has stayed roughly the same over the coarse of many SSB games. It is sad to see it dramatically change in Wii U.
image.jpg
You can see how the charged beam's animation and design has stayed roughly the same over the years, sans for Wii U.
In addition, the 2nd picture shows how the beam's animation is similar to that of the design of the Varia Suit pickup (except the ones in Prime :s-logo: and Fusion, :X: for obvious reasons.) This, also, is fading away in Wii U.
image.jpg
You can see how the Charged Beam's design has looked similar to the Varia Suit pickup. (Except Prime's and Fusion's pickup, for obvious reasons.)
I thought both of these changes were more than worth bringing up; this is a major :thumbsdown: for me.
Bomber
Bob BB
Designed by God in Heaven. Yay

Games:

1. Metroid;
3. Super Metroid;
6. Metroid: Zero Mission;
5. Metroid Prime;
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes;
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption;
7. Metroid Prime: Hunters;
11. Metroid: Other M;

I have 8/11 Metroids... Just 3 more to go.

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Re: An important part of Samus is changing

Postby Rustedsoda » 04.01.14 8:28am

Eh, not a big deal to me. didn't look like that in the games anyways.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.01.14 8:53am

I doubt in SSBM and SSBB they actively considered making the charge shot look like the varia suit pick-up, and is just coincidences. if it was I imagine they would have made it closer to the actual color of the pickup.

Though, I'd much rather they make it look like the games, or better yet go the Project M route and give Samus the different beams ( and have it so it only changes the damage animation).

So to me, it just looks like another miss opportunity. Otherwise I am unmoved by the minor changed.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.03.14 6:03pm

I don't... quite see what the issue is? I think it just looks more intense and intricate. I'd expect that from a series entering the HD era.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.04.14 1:03am

tanget discussion related to charge shots.

Anyone think it's unfair that Mega Man's buster acts closer to his games than Samus does her own? :awesome:
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.04.14 4:01am

What do you mean?
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.04.14 10:41am

Samus' can only fire her arm canon once every second, with a big exaggerated animation even when not using charge shots. the colour closely resembles the ice beam, but has no such effect even though the game has ice effect for cold attacks. It also uses sound effect from NON of the games.
All in all, her arm canon really doesn't act like it should, it's not very accurate.

Mega Man can casually rapid fire his, even while moving or jumping using animations exactly like those he uses in his game. though, from my understanding only while not moving while in the air and not sprinting, and has to stop for charge shots (because it's his smash attack), but otherwise it acts, looks, and sounds a lot more like his Mega Buster from the games.

Not saying Samus should be toting her endgame stacked beam or anything as-is from Super, Fusion, or Zero Mission.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.04.14 11:13am

Oh, yeah. That's all true. I wonder why they take liberties like that with some characters but not others?

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.04.14 3:36pm

Well, it is an exagerated fighting game I doubt that the original model was all THAT much effort was put into accuracy for anyone at the start.

I believe it's a combination of them spending more time on on the new character because SSB is now one of their top sellers.
And laziness + fear, if they suddenly changed Samus' functionality, they'd have to spend a lot of time rebalancing the new mechanics, and people that may like how she already plays and might very well have shit-fits over the change.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.04.14 7:30pm

Well, even if they kept her functionality the same, but modeled the beam after what it actually looks like?

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.05.14 12:44am

They should have done it.

hell, they could have done it here to, just give it the Other M charge shots, even if stuck with just the power beam, the charge shot in Other M is about the same size as the one in SSB.

Would have more prefered Project M's ability to swap between : /

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.14 7:58am

That would've been awesome. Being able to use different beams in your combos would definitely add a new element to the gameplay.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.05.14 4:50pm

Even if it was only a graphical change, I'd be happy.

If I had too change them though..

Power Beam = increased Knock Back
Ice Beam = Increased flinch or stun duration (using the "frozen" animation of a Mr. Freezie), decreased Knock Back.
Plasma Beam = Increased damage, passes through multiple enemies, thins out beam.
Wave beam = Either passes through walls, or light homing ala Prime wave beam. either way moves in sine pattern.

Obviously with more according sound effects, and matching effects.

Though, would rather they changed the name (and maybe colour) of the Zero Laser to the Hyper Beam, or give her Power Bombs as her Final Smash.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.14 6:59pm

I think it'd be cool to have the Ice Beam as an attack... being able to freeze an opponent for a few seconds would be awesome. I like your ideas though. They all work.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.