Project M Questions

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Project M Questions

Postby Lady Aran » 05.17.14 9:57pm

Hanging around here I've noticed quite a few members mentioning something called Project M. Curious, I googled it not too long ago and found out it's a type of mod for Brawl, with a good deal of characters being changed or improved upon so that they more closely resemble their Melee incarnations. Needless to say, after visiting Project M's official site, I'm curious to try this out. But because I've never tried it before, I'm a little leery. It says it works on any Wii, and all you need is a copy of the game and an SD card 2GB or less. Does this mean I can just download the mod onto the SD card for the Wii via the site, pop the card in and then run the mod? My Wii has no mods of any kind in it. Or is the mod made to be run in conjunction with Dolphin? And then what happens if I don't like the mod? Do I just delete it from the card?

Seriously, I'm confused. :-?

Proud Member of Team Adamus!
"When coming up with Adam's character design, I bet you Sakamoto looked at pictures of John Larroquette for reference..." - Me

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Project M Questions

Postby Zynux » 05.18.14 3:25am

Does this mean I can just download the mod onto the SD card for the Wii via the site, pop the card in and then run the mod?
Yup, pretty much. You don't need to modify anything. You may have seen it already, but just in case here is the installation guide on the official site.

Just some tidbits:
  • 1. Make sure it's a NTSC Brawl disc. PAL as of yet is not supported.

2. You do not want the Homebrew versions (since you have an unmodded Wii). You want the Hackless versions.

3. Make sure custom stages are deleted when trying to run the mod. Also, it would probably help if your SD card is completely empty.

4. If you want to play Online, get the Wifi-safe versions, otherwise stick to the Full-set.

5. With Project M, you can't match randomly online. If you try, you will most likely be paired with Brawl players, which will cause desync in matches. Instead, most PM players exchange Brawl friend codes use online communities to set up online matches together, like this thread on Smashboards or this chat group.

6. Online services are closing soon, so if you really want to play online, then do it quick.

7. It works on the Wii U as well (I play on the Wii U), but only with Wii Remote/nunchuck support T_T

8. You don't need Dolphin at all. You only play Project M on dolphin if you want to play on your computer, which is pretty much emulation. Once online services shut down, expect many people to migrate over to Dolphin online play, since I hear it's much better over the laggy mess that is Brawl's online. I have yet to play on PC myself (and not even sure if my computer is good enough to run it) but I may soon when if I want lagless as possible Smash online.

9. Many modifications that worked in Brawl works in Project: M. For example, custom music works similar in Project M as it does in Brawl. Like with Brawl, there is a custom modification scene for Project: M, especially over at Smashboards.

10. Project M is more "competitive" minded, so be warned. Of course things like items and assist trophies are all there, but for example many stages were reworked to make them tournament viable. And of course, many balance/character changes, which you will probably notice if you try it out.

11. Some features do not work. For example, the Subspace Emissary is completely inaccessible, and for a while Screen KOs were not implemented (though with 3.02 just released, Screen KOs may be back, but I can't say for sure).

Let me know if you need further help.

And then what happens if I don't like the mod? Do I just delete it from the card? ?
Yup. It won't affect the Brawl disc or anything like that. Just completely delete it from the SD card and that's it.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 05.18.14 6:41pm

Thank you so much for the help Zynux! <3

I looked at the official site for PM and I could just tell by how technical each characters description was that it brings more of a tournament aspect to Brawl - and naturally, since I'm not a tourny-level player, all of it just kinda went in one ear and out the other, lol. And I'll be honest, I'm a little intimidated by that, even after playing games for 25 of my 27 years. But I really want to try out Samus (and OMG they brought back Roy!) since I read she has a freaking beam switch option, ack! That's too freakin' cool if you ask me.

My computer(which is custom built) is strong enough to run Dolphin but I don't download it because the file sizes for Wii and GC games are freakin' outrageous - Brawl is something like 7 GB (Other M is actually bigger at something like 9 GB) and even though I have a 1TB hard drive (which all of my Sims 3 games are on) in the end I think it's kinda pointless for me to play wii games on my PC when I own them and a wii already. Being able to play a lag free Brawl match is tempting though...

If I have anymore questions or need help, I'll post here. Thank you again Zynux!

"When coming up with Adam's character design, I bet you Sakamoto looked at pictures of John Larroquette for reference..." - Me

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.18.14 7:42pm

I looked at the official site for PM and I could just tell by how technical each characters description was that it brings more of a tournament aspect to Brawl - and naturally, since I'm not a tourny-level player, all of it just kinda went in one ear and out the other, lol. And I'll be honest, I'm a little intimidated by that, even after playing games for 25 of my 27 years.

Haha I understand, but I don't think you need to worry too much about the technical details. You'll feel the similarities and differences when you try out the characters. Many people find Project M to be the quintessential Melee/Brawl fusion. Here's another quick list about Project M though to keep in mind:
  • 1. Game is faster then Brawl, to try and emulate Melee speed gameplay

2. Tripping is removed

3. Some Melee advanced techniques return, including wavedashing

4. If you were a Melee player, then some Melee juggernauts aren't too great here because of the additional characters and matchups. Good examples are Falcon, Sheik, Marth and Jigglypuff, they are very similar to their Melee counterparts but now in a more Brawl environment they aren't nearly as good anymore.

5. Of course, no game has perfect character balance, and this game is no exception (for example, Lucas players wreck so hard in tournaments that many equivalent him to Fox's dominance in Melee). But overall, I've seen almost every character be viable then compared to both Brawl and Melee (Even characters like Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf are extremely viable now). Project M, so far, is the most balanced Smash Bros IMO.
But I really want to try out Samus (and OMG they brought back Roy!) since I read she has a freaking beam switch option, ack! That's too freakin' cool if you ask me.
Roy is really legit in this one, and not nearly as a Marth clone anymore (Sethlon wrecks hard with him). Mewtwo was also brought back, and he got some much needed buffs (he's not awful like in Melee).

And yeah, Samus can change between the Plasma beam and Ice beam with her taunt. Ice Beam generally has more kill moves and knockback, while Plasma racks up more damage, I believe. Don't entirely know to be honest, since I don't play Samus (I'm a Peach/Sheik/ZSS user).
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 05.19.14 2:09am

Well, I think I nearly shit myself when I tried playing PM just now. Probably my own stupidity, I'm sure. See, what happened was, I downloaded PM to my computer. Then, I opened the zip file and moved all the folders in the zip to my SD card, the one that came with the Wii. Thought I was ready to go so I started up Brawl, went to the stage builder screen like it says in the instructions and then something happened that nearly made me shit - the stage builder screen got permanently stuck, not to mention there was this awful high-pitched noise. Couldn't do ANYTHING - couldn't reset, couldn't shut the Wii off, nothing. So in a WTF moment I just unplugged the machine. I'm literally sitting here worrying that I might have screwed up my Wii or something.

Now, I'm a pretty competent person - I understand and follow directions well (most of the time, lol) but the install instructions on the site weren't terribly descriptive; when trying new things, I like to have a crystal clear understanding of how it's done. So do I basically open each of the folders in the zip file and copy/paste each folder's contents on the card? Could it be that I need a new SD card?

Hopefully you can ease my worry. -_-;

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.19.14 7:05pm

Haha don't worry, your Wii is completely fine. I've actually had it happened a couple of times because my Brawl disc is used and scratched, and from looking on the internet, that seems to be the most likely culprit. Trust me, when it first happened to me ages ago randomly I flipped shit and panicked, but I soon realized that it was overall harmless despite the forced reboot.

When it happened to me, I just tried again and it worked.

Try again a few times, and if the problem keeps persisting, then maybe it may not be worth it, since this problem seems to only happen to a few people for some reason. With that said, there is no damage to your console or disc from what I can tell.

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 05.19.14 8:32pm

*hugs* Thank you Zynux! <3

I'm relieved (read: very relieved) to know that what happened to me does happen to others. If it helps, I did get my copy new (after having sold my old one in order to buy a Sims 3 expansion, lol) and I take really good care of my games so there's no scratches on it or anything. I read on the Smash Boards (I believe) that a potential cause could be that the Wii lens is dirty and thus causing the game to not be read or something? 'cept I know this can't be the case because the game plays just fine.

At any rate, I will keep trying.

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 05.22.14 2:45am

Pardon the double post but after days of repeated trying and subsequent forced rebooting of my Wii, I just said "fuck it" and won't be trying to get Project M to work on my Wii anymore. It's frustrating, and I want to go back to how my game was before. Trying to get this thing to work is more frustrating than it's worth, to me anyway.

But I do appreciate the help/advice anyway, Zynux. <3

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.22.14 9:35pm

No problems. A shame that it didn't work, never seen a Wii having such a problem running it, but yeah it just isn't worth it if it keeps giving you trouble. While many find it to be an impressive mod, it's still just a mod at the end of the day.

If you still even have a slightest of interest, if you have time check out some PM videos (though a warning that it's most likely going to be tournament videos) if you want to see how some of these characters play at high level, and whether you truly want to ever try again and possibly invest in it the future. Otherwise, don't worry about it. <3

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 05.30.14 3:29pm

UPDATE: Found a Project M wiki and found more detailed installation instructions - and a nice little video - for Project M. Happy to say I got it working this time. Off the bat I noticed my two mains - Samus and Ike - were faster than in Brawl. ZSS' down B (or is it A?) no longer launchess her straight at the ground. Bummer because I use that quite a bit. Loved the fact that Samus has an Ice Beam; her up A (or is it B? Damn short term memory loss!) the "cover fire" move looks freakin awesome in Ice mode.

I also like all the neat alt costumes for specific characters - DK in boxer's garb is awesome! Mew Two didn't look too shabby in that crazy armor, either. And Mario's Dr. Mario costume brought back fond Melee memories. And Roy! I missed him! Though I'm quite rusty with him, heh.

For the stages, I'm so glad they took out that stupid New Pork City stage in Brawl -- I can't for the life of me see a damn thing on that stage, and it really doesn't help when you have poor vision. I think they replaced it with another Mother stage, four side I think it's called? At any rate, single best thing I like about the stage changes.

Unfortunately, I had to remove the mod from my wii SD card because it would freeze brawl. So I have the mod on my computer, and when I get new SD card, I won't have to worry about freezing Brawl anymore.

I'd say Project M is a keeper, even if I'm not a tourny player :D

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.30.14 3:59pm

Glad things worked out in the end :D

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.