SSBB Project M Ridley mod (WIP, currently 0.2% done)

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

SSBB Project M Ridley mod (WIP, currently 0.2% done)

Postby BaganSmashBros » 10.26.14 11:30am

Move if required. Technically, it is a fan creation, so, it fits, but it is also for SSB game...i am confused.

Ever wanted Ridley to be playable in SSB? Got disappointed by SSB4 because Ridley is just a boss? Like Project M? Then this is what you would like to see done.
In september, i decided to make a Ridley PSA for Project M, which failed because i reached animations file size limit and this is all that was done:

Recently, i restarted it, but this time with a model that won't cause same thing to happen. It is Other M model. I know how many dislike duck face Ridley from Other M, so, i edited it and now it looks good:
More images with this model (with outdated textures - textures above are new textures):
ImageImageImage
Moveset will be based off his various appearances in Metroid games with Other M being used more than other games (but iconic things like pogo tail and fireballs, along with less iconic firebreath, feet grab and tail swing, are must-have, so, they will be included no matter what) since im using Other M model and it has different proportions when compared to other Ridleys. Animation quality is kept high and moveset will be balanced enough to be fun and Ridley while not being overpowered. I will post updates on this hack if there is anything significant. Previous version was nearly finished in 3 weeks without any of the animations from Brawl fight reused, so, this one will most likely be ready for New Year/Christmas. So, have :ridley: and please understandu.
There won't be a classic Ridley alt, unfortunately, because proportions are too different. It will look like Pikadorf/Manchu if it will be done. Maybe not that bad, but still not worth the effort.

One of the extra recolors that will be included is this one:
Based off image i found that had Ridley disguised as Charizard and multiple claims that Ridley will be a Charizard clone.

Oh, and here is a mod that replaces Samus' sounds (for example, super missile shot) with Metroid Prime SFX just as extra: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlVi ... erID=26459

27/10/14: added new extra recolor image and fixed link for both video and Samus SFX mod. Whoops.
Last edited by BaganSmashBros on 10.27.14 2:17am, edited 2 times in total.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: SSBB Project M Ridley mod (WIP, currently 0.2% done)

Postby Zynux » 10.26.14 6:11pm

What up Bagan. You're likely aware who I am. It's possible that this might get moved to the Smash Bros forum.

Fixed:
Even though this model isn't being used anymore, it should be noted that I think the moveset was based off of Smash Crusade's Ridley (which is a flash Smash bros I think).

---

As you're already well aware animations need work and his size, the controversial issue, will likely get mixed reactions from people here, with some saying he's too small, or some saying he's too big, but overall it's a start.

I never had faith in mod Ridley's since they're usually terrible but this one has potential. But how won't the new model cause issues with animation limits?

Your Other M model is leaaaaaagues ahead of the Brawl model. But this is my bias: while I hate the Other M model, I hate Brawl's model so much more.

As with your current Other M Ridley, I think he could use a little size boost (I think he should tower over Bowser a tad bit more, even though I do understand that Bowser is really hunched in Melee/Brawl) but overall looks good, and leagues ahead of his terrible washed-up model in Smash 4.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Postby BaganSmashBros » 10.26.14 9:55pm

What up Bagan. You're likely aware who I am. It's possible that this might get moved to the Smash Bros forum.

Fixed:
Even though this model isn't being used anymore, it should be noted that I think the moveset was based off of Smash Crusade's Ridley (which is a flash Smash bros I think).

---

As you're already well aware animations need work and his size, the controversial issue, will likely get mixed reactions from people here, with some saying he's too small, or some saying he's too big, but overall it's a start.

I never had faith in mod Ridley's since they're usually terrible but this one has potential. But how won't the new model cause issues with animation limits?

Your Other M model is leaaaaaagues ahead of the Brawl model. But this is my bias: while I hate the Other M model, I hate Brawl's model so much more.

As with your current Other M Ridley, I think he could use a little size boost (I think he should tower over Bowser a tad bit more, even though I do understand that Bowser is really hunched in Melee/Brawl) but overall looks good, and leagues ahead of his terrible washed-up model in Smash 4.
From Smashboards, right?

Yes, it was mostly based off SSB Crusade's Ridley, but later it started to become different (not by much since i reached that limit quickly).

No. It is simpler than it looks. It has 20 less bones than Brawl Ridley and as much bones usable as Bowser (i won't use that bone that moves tip of his tail since it looks weird and it causes some minor, but noticable issues with that part of model), so, he will not cause such issues. If Bowser can work with same amount of bones, then he will work too.

I won't care much about the whole too big or too small issue unless it messes with gameplay or he clips through too many platforms.

I thought about doing that, but then he clips through platforms on stages like Battlefield and Yoshi's Story. I'll have to be careful with this and since i can't make Ridley more hunched over like in previous version because then his hands will look weird and i can't lower his stance either because then it will be hard to move his tail, it will be harder.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.26.14 10:13pm

Nothing much to add, but if you want your YouTube links to work properly you have to drop the "s" from "https" at the start of the URL, otherwise it breaks.

I know nothing of the technicalities of implementing new characters in Brawl, but I can say that I like the model on display. So he looks nice, if nothing else.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.29.14 1:34pm

Moved, but left a shadow topic. :r-b:
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Postby BaganSmashBros » 10.29.14 6:32pm

Moved, but left a shadow topic. :r-b:
I knew this will happen and...Ridley-banned? What is this? Metroid version of Gannon-Banned?

Anyway, model now needs to have leg spikes' length shortened and it will be ready. All recolors are done and they include: default, Super Metroid box art, Ridley-X, Zero Mission artwork, Black, White/Light Grey, Charizard Ridley and Other M Ridley. Here are 3 of them:
ImageImageImage
For now, i have weird shading/material issues with those when there are more than 1 on the stage. I have few ideas for moveset ready. Here they are:
All of attacks that use tail have sweetspot that deals more damage and knockback.
  • A Jab Combo - Claw Swipe>2nd claw swipe>tail stab loop>tail smash finisher (like in SSB4). Low damage on everything except for tail smash finisher. Medium damage and knockback on tail smash finisher. Medium end lag.
  • Down A tilt - low tail sweep/swing. Trips opponent if hits at the end of his tail, but before the blade part or just knocks back if hits with blade part or base of the tail. Low damage and knockback. Medium end lag.
  • Up A (Air) - Bowser's Up A Tilt, but in the air and has extra fire hitbox in his mouth. Medium damage and knockback with small end lag, deals low damage and knockback if fire hitbox hits instead.
  • Down A (Air) - Pogo tail, bounces off the opponent and spikes that opponent like Project M Wario's Down A (Air). Deals medium damage and high knockback. If hits the ground instead, he bounces up too, so, there is a very small end lag.
  • Neutral B - chargable projectile similar to Lucario's aura sphere. If fully charged or at least very close to it, it will go through any reflectors or projectile absorbers and maybe will even destroy other projectiles, like SSB Brawl Meta Ridley's giant fireball he shoots while flying instead of clinging to the Blue Falcon. Uses same model and effects.
  • Down B - Ridley crouches and, while flapping wings forward (kinda like in Other M), gainst purple aura and darker skin color. For 5 seconds, he will reflect all projectiles that can be reflected (even Super Missiles) and he will also have some light armor (super armor that protects character from weak attacks like jabs and tilts, but it breaks if opponent's attack is strong enough).
    In the air, he will float while doing this.
  • Side B - Something between his grab from Other M and Ganondorf's Side B. If hits, uses previous version's forward throw (will turn around either if too close to ledge when starts the throw itself or like when performing reverse Falcon Punch). If it will be possible, when used in the air, he will instead grab opponent and after flying up and burning target, throw it down. Aerial version, if it will be possible, will use animation similar to one of the unused animations Ridley had in Other M. If i will fail to make this one, i will keep previous version's Side B.
  • Up B - Flight. Similar to Mewtwo's float. Instead of going into helpless state, he will be unable to use specials that can serve as recovery (Side B and Up B).
  • Final Smash - Plasma Beam. Just recolored Lucario's final smash from Brawl, but a bit wider (still not as wide as Project M Lucario's Final Smash) and easily controlable. No one will outrun it unless time is slowed down in Project M since that screws up momentum of slowed down characters. Based off his plasma beams from Metroid Prime and manga, but with some exaggeration.

Im not sure about anything else right now.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.31.14 5:23pm

Yeah - we had a thing called "Ridely-Banned" (Note the misspelling) a while back. Don't take it personally; i mostly put it there for fun. Keep up the great work on this mod!
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 11.01.14 2:31am

While I think Other M Ridley is still pretty ugly, the change to the beak helps, and I can understand how his model will be easier to work with. Good luck on this project.
Suckers.

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Postby BaganSmashBros » 11.10.14 3:23pm

I decided to completly ignore model issues until im done with animations and moveset. Whats done since last time i posted any progress:
Standing animation redone and Waiting 2, Dash and run stop animations adapted to fit it. Preview of new standing animation:
Wings in this animations will be improved later;
CSP and all recolors except for Firebrand and...don't even know how to call it...skeleton recolors;
Fixed shading and materials issues;
Completed move list;
Finished replacing Lucario's SFX with Other M Ridley's (completly clean and loud enough to be heard, but not too loud).
I think some peoples will dislike Other M roars for some reasons, so, there will be alternate SFX for him with Brawl roars instead. In both versions, there will be Ridley-X's roar that will be used for an easter egg similar to PM HYES Knee of Justice easter egg, but it will stun opponents close to Ridley. It won't help much since taunt during which it will be used will last for too long, so, it is useless outside of turbo mode. It will be triggered by holding A button during one of the taunts (most likely Side Taunt).
Recolors preview:
CSPs:

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Re: SSBB Project M Ridley mod (WIP, currently 50% done)

Postby BaganSmashBros » 12.09.14 1:07pm

New Video preview:

Shows everything done. So, only throws, get hit and misc. animations are left. There is few bugs and glitches that aren't really shown in the video, but they are possible to fix.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 12.09.14 4:06pm

Any chance of Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley?
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Postby BaganSmashBros » 12.10.14 5:20am

Any chance of Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley?
Meta Ridley - yes, Omega Ridley - most likely no. If i will be successful in making this official part of Project M, then it will be set in stone. Otherwise, i will try combining Meta Ridley and this models to get result. He will still have 4 fingers on his hands instead of 3, but only 3 toes like he should have. But before even thinking about this alt, i must finish moveset itself.

BaganSmashBros

Mochtroid

Re: SSBB Project M Ridley mod (WIP, currently 80% done)

Postby BaganSmashBros » 01.23.15 6:42am

I haven't posted any updates for a while here, so, have this video by one of the testers:

Only item animations left before first release. And can someone edit this thread's title to be 80% instead of 0.2%?

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.