Project M 3.5 Trailer

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Project M 3.5 Trailer

Postby Zynux » 11.12.14 9:21pm

Title says it all. In two days.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Re: Project M 3.5 Trailer

Postby Apothem » 11.13.14 3:11am

Project M is easily the strongest evidence that consoles should properly allow modding. The only real reason not to is stubborn greed.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.13.14 5:59am

Project M is easily the strongest evidence that consoles should properly allow modding. The only real reason not to is stubborn greed.
Modding would have made my Halos way funner :<

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 11.13.14 5:04pm

The problems with that are achievements and online functionality. If I can modify the game experience, beating the game on the highest difficulty isn't an accomplishment. Collecting all the Riddler trophies ceases to be a waste of my time. Et cetera.

And then it can bleed into online stuff, so leaderboards, matchmaking, and other such features of a game can be harmed as a result.

It does suck, but it's not greed. It's just very difficult to manage this kind of thing. When games allow proprietary ways of doing this within the designed boundaries of the game, such as Halo's Forge, then that's as close as we'll get.

Nintendo games are a different story, because they're always very divorced from online functionality, save a few exceptions. And even then it's a mixed bag. Anyone remember Action Replay on DS? Best thing ever. Worst thing ever. I can do cool things in Pokemon without wasting days of my life. Or I can cheat on Metroid Prime Hunters with an aimbot.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.13.14 6:12pm

I wouldn't go as far as to say that consoles should allow so much modding support, but game companies have nothing to gain from stifling and shutting down non-profit fan projects.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.13.14 10:36pm

I concede that greed may not be the driving force behind excluding modification, but I also stand by my asertion that such official functionality could be of resounding benefit to a great many games, particularly one as long lived as Smash Bros. Facilitating consumer creative with popular products rarely goes unrewarded.

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 11.13.14 11:28pm

Is there a way to play project m online, or is it strictly local?
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.14.14 1:45am

There is a way to get private server connection on the Wii ever since Nintendo shutdown WiFi.

Also, Emulating Project M on Dolphin (AKA computer) there are ways to play online.

I don't know any specifics though so your best bet would be to head over to Smashboards for more details.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.