Solo Mode on SSB4 Wii U

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Solo Mode on SSB4 Wii U

Postby Mayan Mystery » 12.27.14 3:10am

I got a Wii U for Christmas, and along with it, the newest entry of the Smash Bros franchise. Naturally I tried the vs. Mode before I went to do anything else after launching the game. I thought it was fantastic. It combined just enough of what liked about Brawl with improved recovery mechanics, with the high knock back elements and slightly faster game play from Melee (still no directional air dodging though), coupled with outstanding graphics. 8 player smash, and the vast, VAST amounts of controller options, the vs. mode really was spot on.

The solo options on the other hand (at least from what I have tried) in my opinion failed spectacularly.

I will say that I have yet to try Crazy Orders and the Wii U's version of all star mode. I have tried all star mode on the 3DS but I would prefer to unlock duck hunt dog, completing my character roster, before I delve into that can of worms.

As for the modes that I have tried, for the most part I'm not impressed.

Master Orders was the one game mode I tried that I did get enjoyment out of, granted it was frustrating when I failed a challenge (sometimes quite frequently), but any complaints I could make would probably be nit picking.

I have a huge problem with Smash Tour. Which is weird considering how much I loved smash run. It's far to heavily luck based, and I was actually smashing for maybe 1/4 of the time I was actually playing smash tour. In contrast to smash run which I was exploring a giant map with my fighter and collecting powerups for a full 5 minutes without break. The whole experience felt like Sakurai tried to build a mario-party style game around smash bros mechanics just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. It was just an all around disappointing experience for me and I had to force myself to get through 1 round.

My biggest gripe by far though is with classic mode however.

The difficulty makes no sense to me. What felt like intensity 9.0 on the 3DS version feels like 7.8 on the Wii U version, and intensity 9.0 on the Wii U version is an unholy nightmare designed for the explicit purpose of making your life miserable. I've found it to be impossible to make it through the first 5 phases of the mode without getting a single game over on intensity 9.0 (something that was actually feasible on the 3DS version on the same intensity), and I have yet to coming anywhere close to beating master fortress, but that's just a practice issue.

I wouldn't mind the intense difficulty if it weren't for the fact that that you have to spend coins to play on higher difficulties. If I choose to not take a continue on classic mode if I get a game over, I'm forced to play classic once on a lower difficulty before I can come back to playing on Intensity 9.0 because I don't have enough money to play on that difficulty. So what I find myself doing is forcing myself to finish what I started in order to get the money to simply be able to try again. But it just feels like the game's wasting my time because my end goal is to beat classic on intensity 9.0, not 7.5 for the nth time. This wasn't in the 3DS version, why is it here.

Maybe this is just a me problem, but it made me want to put the game down multiple times and it's something that really bothers me about it.

Just wondering if you guys had any similar complaints or if I'm looking at this all the wrong way. Either way I'm curious to know.

LightOfAether

Egg

Re: Solo Mode on SSB4 Wii U

Postby LightOfAether » 12.27.14 11:53am

You're definitely not alone in your complaints. Wait until you attempt to do the challenges and clearing classic 9.0 without losing a single life :P I believe I took a few years off of my life trying to do that one, but I finally got it a few nights ago. To ease some of the difficulty (just some!), try using custom equipment. It's still hard with it though. It's not challenging hard, it's stupid hard because the CPU's dodge/counter everything and have near perfect reactions. And then you get screwed with items.

I agree with some of the things you said. Smash Tour is beyond dumb, and getting some of the challenges on there was a pain in the arse. Ironically, I hammered the one where you need to get back your items stolen from a Metroid, because a Metroid appearance is so few and far between. One time I was en route to get my items back after one finally appeared, and one of the other players (controlled by me no less) shoryuken'ed it away before I got to it. I was so pissed, I immediately went to hammer it, haha.

As for Crazy Orders, it's a good way to get a lot of unlockables. It's essential for getting CD's, and you'll also find a lot of trophies and customs there. Otherwise, I think it's a throwaway mode, along with Master Orders. I find the solo aspect of Sm4sh to be the worst one. "Classic" mode is anything but classic. And having to spend coins to keep trying was a poor choice. The difficulty is ridiculous, but to run out of coins to keep trying is another slap in the face. Really don't like what Sakurai did with it. And some of the challenges.......are not even challenges. They're just stupid, tedious, grinding tasks. I have only one left, which is collect 300000 coins. Another dumb one, because you need to have it all at once, instead of accumulating it. For a game that makes you spend coins on almost everything you do, that's certainly a stupid objective.

I digress though, because besides some dumb character choices (whole other can of worms), I really love the multiplayer, which is the main reason for me having the game. Tripping is gone, edgehogging is gone (think I'm in the minority being happy about that one), it's not as floaty as Brawl and is a tad faster, and my main got a serious buff and is actually good for once (Falcon :D). Though Samus got shit on and is considered one of the worst characters, she's my immediate secondary. :mp3:

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.27.14 7:01pm

I still don't have the game myself, but the internet seems to agree that the Wii U version did indeed fail with the solo modes. The fact that you now have people exclaiming that Smash Run, which many disliked, to be universally better then Smash Tour is alone pretty bad.

I hear that Master Order/Crazy Orders, and Event Match are still good though.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 12.28.14 10:51pm

I still don't have the game myself, but the internet seems to agree that the Wii U version did indeed fail with the solo modes. The fact that you now have people exclaiming that Smash Run, which many disliked, to be universally better then Smash Tour is alone pretty bad.

I hear that Master Order/Crazy Orders, and Event Match are still good though.
I actually liked Smash Run. I CAN understand why some people don't like the mode though.

You're definitely not alone in your complaints. Wait until you attempt to do the challenges and clearing classic 9.0 without losing a single life :P I believe I took a few years off of my life trying to do that one, but I finally got it a few nights ago. To ease some of the difficulty (just some!), try using custom equipment. It's still hard with it though. It's not challenging hard, it's stupid hard because the CPU's dodge/counter everything and have near perfect reactions. And then you get screwed with items.

I agree with some of the things you said. Smash Tour is beyond dumb, and getting some of the challenges on there was a pain in the arse. Ironically, I hammered the one where you need to get back your items stolen from a Metroid, because a Metroid appearance is so few and far between. One time I was en route to get my items back after one finally appeared, and one of the other players (controlled by me no less) shoryuken'ed it away before I got to it. I was so pissed, I immediately went to hammer it, haha.

As for Crazy Orders, it's a good way to get a lot of unlockables. It's essential for getting CD's, and you'll also find a lot of trophies and customs there. Otherwise, I think it's a throwaway mode, along with Master Orders. I find the solo aspect of Sm4sh to be the worst one. "Classic" mode is anything but classic. And having to spend coins to keep trying was a poor choice. The difficulty is ridiculous, but to run out of coins to keep trying is another slap in the face. Really don't like what Sakurai did with it. And some of the challenges.......are not even challenges. They're just stupid, tedious, grinding tasks. I have only one left, which is collect 300000 coins. Another dumb one, because you need to have it all at once, instead of accumulating it. For a game that makes you spend coins on almost everything you do, that's certainly a stupid objective.

I digress though, because besides some dumb character choices (whole other can of worms), I really love the multiplayer, which is the main reason for me having the game. Tripping is gone, edgehogging is gone (think I'm in the minority being happy about that one), it's not as floaty as Brawl and is a tad faster, and my main got a serious buff and is actually good for once (Falcon :D). Though Samus got shit on and is considered one of the worst characters, she's my immediate secondary. :mp3:

Completely agree. I'll be sticking to the 3DS version for single player for now.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.