SSB4: Voting for your favorite characters discussion

Discuss the Super Smash Bros. games, and coordinate matches with online Brawlers here!
Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Re: SSB4: Voting for your favorite characters discussion

Postby Luminoth Prime » 10.07.15 4:08pm

Super Mario RPG and all it's characters are owned by Square Enix, I doubt they'd let Geno slide through.

I'd like Rundas or the great and powerful Waluigi, but I think Isaac and Shovel Knight have the highest chances of getting in. I wouldn't mind either but other than those 4, I don't think I'm rooting for anybody else. We'll have to wait and see who gets in. Not looking forward to fighting a bunch of Gokus on For Glory.
Well maybe we could use an Undertale representative.
Wait what? How in the world does that work? It's a Nintendo franchise and license. How does one company get the rights for certain parts of the game and the other gets the rest? I've never heard of that happening.

I also only just now realized how odd it is that the game is straight up titled RPG. Especially for a 1996 game. Like, imagine Super Mario Platformer or Super Mario FPS.

I wouldn't imagine Rundas has much marquee value, unfortunately. I mean, he was only around for first two parts of the game (the intro and Byrro), and died right after. Only two Metroid characters besides Samus have a more than one-game lifespan, and those are Ridley and Dark Samus. Everyone else is just a very brief side-character.

I would freak out if Waluigi showed up. Stupid tennis-playing piece of garbage.

Shovel Knight definitely has a lot of potential. I have no idea who Isaac is... Well, I know several Isaacs. There's Isaac from the Bible, and there's Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. I don't think that's what you're talking about, though...

But I would give up on life if Goku made it in. There's nothing I hate more than DBZ. Now I could accept it if Chibi-Robo was added, but only then.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.07.15 8:25pm

Wait what? How in the world does that work? It's a Nintendo franchise and license. How does one company get the rights for certain parts of the game and the other gets the rest? I've never heard of that happening.
I don't know, but remember that in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Square Enix was credited because they had Geno cameo in the game.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.08.15 2:06am

The franchise obviously belongs to Nintendo but the original elements made for the game, up to and including its mechanical systems, are property of Squeenix. It's most likely a product of its time, a property of how cross-company contracts were inked back in the 90's. It's highly unlikely Nintendo would allow any developer such control over content produce explicitly for them now, but back then you simply didn't see giants like Nintendo and Square cooperate in such a way. I imagine it took a great deal of negotiation to fit those egos in the same board meeting. Remember they were both vastly different companies way back when.

Now a days I could see Square throwing in on cameo characters in Smash, especially with so many other companies doing the same. Still not terribly likely, but far more plausible than it would've been nearly 20 years ago. It'd be fantastic to see some classic s/nes era Square characters show up - Final Fantasy or otherwise - in a decent fighter for once. Enix too, probably, but I'm not familiar with their catalog.

Return to “%s” Super Smash Bros.