Metroid choose your own adventure discovered

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Metroid choose your own adventure discovered

Postby RoyboyX » 06.07.17 11:26pm

Today on Wikitroid someone created an article for Metroid: Zebes Shin'nyū Shirei (メトロイド ゼーベス侵入指令?, lit. "Metroid: Zebes Intrusion Directive"), a game book (or choose your own adventure book) apparently released during the Famicom era, only in Japan. It's the fifth in a series of Famicom game-themed books https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/冒険ゲームブックシリーズ (Japanese).

I've reached out to the person who created the article for information. I found a listing for it on eBay, I'm not sure if they have a copy, but I asked. If they have it and are willing to share, it could become the next translation project.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Metroid choose your own adventure discovered

Postby Zynux » 06.07.17 11:53pm

Google searching the japanese seems to show that there may be listings on Amazon jp as well.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 06.08.17 8:29pm

I did more research into the book - it was discovered last year by the art director of Teslagrad, but he was unable to determine what the title translated to. https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/ ... 4598464513

I also found a video uploaded to Nicovideo, a Japanese video sharing site, in 2013, that shows the images from the book as well as scrolling text, perhaps from an adjacent page. You have to register to watch videos, which I did. Registration is free but they urge you to get a premium account so videos play the best, but who's going to do that for one video? The images are set to Zero Mission music. Most notably, we see several images of what appears to be Samus without her helmet, in possibly the earliest depiction of her outside her suit! She has dark hair, which may correspond to her brunette color in-game, or maybe not. I'll try to download the video so I can reupload it on my personal YouTube channel for you to see. Of course, having the actual book would be best for the purposes of translation. I really need to learn to read Japanese.

ImageImage

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.09.17 6:31pm

The suit is incredibly weird, very reminiscent of that time.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 06.10.17 1:28pm

Agreed. Very jagged looking and almost like Killer Moth to me. I sent the MDb admins an official tip and offered to buy the book/ship it to them myself.

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions