Kodansha Coming to the US of A!

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Kodansha Coming to the US of A!

Postby sharonlover » 07.01.08 3:55pm

Thought this was post worthy.

The company that originally published the Metroid Manga, Kodansha, is setting up shop in the United States based out of New York City. They are transferring their copyrights and such to the American based company for publishing of their Japanese counterparts.

The Metroid manga was originally released by Kodansha. So what does that mean for us? That means, that we could POSSIBLY (no where even near confirmed much less spoken of) could see an American release of the Metroid manga sometime in the future (again NOT A FOR SURE THING). For anime/manga fans this is great news in general.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -september

now it could also mean that sometime in the future, assuming our current Metroid translation project isn't finished, that we may receive a cease and desist letter to stop what would then be our US illegal operations for their licenses. Let's hope that doesn't happen though. It's only a possibility, just like an English release of Metroid manga.

that is all, discuss if you feel the need to.
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

ChozoBoy

Gamma Metroid

Postby ChozoBoy » 07.02.08 2:44am

Just wondering, did they do the other Metroid mangas as well? (Sam and Joey, MP2:E) Also, are these guys going to have a long backlist of material that would likely force putting 'Troid to the sidelines for awhile, in your opinion?

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 07.02.08 5:32am

being that Kodansha is a big publisher over there, they have a ton of stuff that would supersede Metroid by far, so any type of release of a states side Metroid manga is slim but still possible. Very dependent on the company and what they want to release or feel would be profitable.

As for who did the other two comics. I have the Samus and Joey at home, if I remember, I'll dig them out and see who the publisher is, a quick search didn't pull up to much on it.

As for the MP2:E's comic....no clue, i'll again try to dig up some info assuming I have time to do so....unfort...not been the case lately with job hunting and other projects...but we'll see ^_^
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 07.02.08 8:53am

And the Super Metroid comic?

That all is hardly any good news to me, I doubt I can find English manga here...
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 07.02.08 12:45pm

the super metroid comic in the old Nintendo Power? That one was already translated by Nintendo or someone close to them...don't know much more about it...unless there is one that you know exists that no one else does :P

OOOOH wait, do you mean the one in that video game book? It's the four / five panel comics? If so, I got that book too, hopefully working on getting those translated next once we finish with this. I may be needing any MdB talent with Japanese translation...don't know yet, depends on what my translators doing >.> but I got that book too ^_^ and I'll get that information if I dig the others out...they are all together :P
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 07.05.08 4:56am

Oh, that was already released. >.<

I'm not exactly from Super's time.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Ph@zon Korrupt!on

Gamma Metroid

Postby Ph@zon Korrupt!on » 07.10.08 10:38pm

How many volumes were released. I've read the first two online from when she was a kid to her trainig with the chozo. If it has anything to do with the metroid in nintendo power, then sorry haven't pick nintendo power up in years. 8)

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 07.11.08 6:04am

There are Two Volumes, you only read the first two chapters.

reading over my first post again, there are 16 chapters total and we're halfway through it right now
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

RedMage

Anonymous

Postby RedMage » 07.11.08 6:06am

Cant wait :D Thank you

Ph@zon Korrupt!on

Gamma Metroid

Postby Ph@zon Korrupt!on » 07.11.08 6:57am

If Kodansha releases them I'll definitly need em' for my metroid collection.

Chaosblade

Hatchling

Postby Chaosblade » 07.13.08 8:07pm

I hope they get released. I'd definitely buy them even though I'm not much into mangas or animes.

I am probably wrong about this, but I suspect they would have to go through Nintendo of America to get them published here, as far as licensing goes, which could be a hindrance and prevent it from being released.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though, and prove that whatever license they have would cover it. If so, I don't see why they wouldn't do it, since Metroid seems to be more popular here [in the US] than in Japan.

sharonlover

Kodansha coming to the US of A

Postby sharonlover » 10.06.09 7:12am

So I was reading this article http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... nga-in-u.s

in which Kodansha has announced that they will be coming to america :) maybe they will bring with them an 'official' version of the Metroid Manga. I would be extremely curious to see how they translate it.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

ChozoBoy

Gamma Metroid

sharonlover

Re: Kodansha coming to the US of A

Postby sharonlover » 10.06.09 8:27am

lol, I just noticed that this thread http://metroid-database.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=1094 is titled exactly the same and was announced originally back in July of 08 by myself. I thought the news was familiar but now it's been finalized. Merging the topics...with the same titles :P
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions