Comic Bom Bom and Episode of Aether

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
CapCom

User avatar

MDB Staff - Director
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 05.04.07 12:08pm

Comic Bom Bom and Episode of Aether

Postby CapCom » 08.16.08 9:54pm

Ok, here's a bit more information. It's a publication by Kodansha called Comic Bom Bom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Bom_Bom

There were a total of three Metroid manga series produced there:

Metroid Prime
Samus and Joe
Metroid Episode of Aether

The only ones I've found scans for are the first issue of Episode of Aether (look for it in a future update), though I know I've seen the second issue. I've never seen the Prime manga.

The Samus and Joe manga is fairly easy to find on E-bay (though a tad expensive) and was three issues.

If anyone has more information on these, please post here.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

GeneralGM

Alpha Metroid
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 08.10.08 3:37am

Re: Comic Bom Bom and Episode of Aether

Postby GeneralGM » 08.16.08 10:11pm

CapCom wrote:Ok, here's a bit more information. It's a publication by Kodansha called Comic Bom Bom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Bom_Bom

There were a total of three Metroid manga series produced there:

Metroid Prime
Samus and Joe
Metroid Episode of Aether

The only ones I've found scans for are the first issue of Episode of Aether (look for it in a future update), though I know I've seen the second issue. I've never seen the Prime manga.

The Samus and Joe manga is fairly easy to find on E-bay (though a tad expensive) and was three issues.

If anyone has more information on these, please post here.


Isn't the Prime manga on the site or is it a different comic?
I'll ask about the others on this other japanese boards. I've seen the Samus and Joe one at one time but the production value was kinda meh on it.
I'll PM you if I find anything
Image

CapCom

User avatar

MDB Staff - Director
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 05.04.07 12:08pm

Postby CapCom » 08.17.08 12:17am

Yeah, the Bon Bon comics are kinda doubtful. The comics we currently have up are from Nintendo Power, but I assure you there's an update on the way.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

sharonlover

User avatar

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: 05.18.07 9:06pm

Postby sharonlover » 08.17.08 6:25am

If you can tell me what issues these were in, my wife can order back issues of Comic BomBom ^_^
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

CapCom

User avatar

MDB Staff - Director
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 05.04.07 12:08pm

Postby CapCom » 08.17.08 11:03am

I have no clue what issues they are. Though it looks like the cover to the Episode of Aether says it's Volume 258 (at least there's a 258 in parenthesis on the cover :P). Unfortunately, the images are VERY small (450px tall) so it's difficult to make out the text. However, if this really is Volume 258, and it appears that the comics are released once every month, then this would put the comic in I believe July 2003 (they started publishing October 1981). The game came out in May 2005 though, so that seems less likely. Anyway, I think May 2005 and vol. 258 are good places to start. See if you can get images of the covers first.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

GeneralGM

Alpha Metroid
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 08.10.08 3:37am

Postby GeneralGM » 08.17.08 11:25am

CapCom wrote:I have no clue what issues they are. Though it looks like the cover to the Episode of Aether says it's Volume 258 (at least there's a 258 in parenthesis on the cover :P). Unfortunately, the images are VERY small (450px tall) so it's difficult to make out the text. However, if this really is Volume 258, and it appears that the comics are released once every month, then this would put the comic in I believe July 2003 (they started publishing October 1981). The game came out in May 2005 though, so that seems less likely. Anyway, I think May 2005 and vol. 258 are good places to start. See if you can get images of the covers first.


Volume 258 April
Volume 257 Feb

That's what I got from the other board. Though finding the actual comics is a needle in a haystack scenario and as you stated before, be prepared to shell out some cash for it too.
I just wish from the one cover that it's not really poor in production value, to me it just looks like a meh doujin... then again I could be wrong.

Then again it's a Kodomo related manga so it's targeted to the younger demographic, just FYI
Image

CapCom

User avatar

MDB Staff - Director
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 05.04.07 12:08pm

Postby CapCom » 08.17.08 12:23pm

Ok, I got some more information.

At the end of Volume 2, it says 'Continued in September'. Which means this issue is the August issue (and vol 1 says 'continued in August :P). Also, 258 is in fact just a page number as I see (379) etc in some of the other pages of vol. 2 (the photos are MUCH better). It seems that the 'cover' is actually page 258 of the magazine.

So you have two possibilities. Either this was released in 2004 or 2005, but you're looking at July, August, and September (at least - we don't know how long the manga is). The game came out in the US in November '04 and in Japan in May '05.In addition, Vol. 1 says 'Copyright 2004, 2005' so I say it's a sure bet those are the issues.

Anyone's guess as to when the Metroid Prime one came out (or if they even MADE one - Wikipedia is NOT the most reliable of sources!) but I'd say start with May or June 2003 and go from there (release date was February 2003 in Japan).
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

ChozoBoy

User avatar

Gamma Metroid
 
Posts: 365
Joined: 10.25.07 6:31pm

Postby ChozoBoy » 08.18.08 1:16am

Wow, excellent sleuthing! Could someone with one of these comics (or images) verify whether they display the Nintendo Seal of Quality, or not? That should settle their reliability as official material.

GeneralGM

Alpha Metroid
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 08.10.08 3:37am

Postby GeneralGM » 08.18.08 3:45am

ChozoBoy wrote:Wow, excellent sleuthing! Could someone with one of these comics (or images) verify whether they display the Nintendo Seal of Quality, or not? That should settle their reliability as official material.


They look like doujins. MP2 manga has some good production value though.
Image

Infinity's End

User avatar

MDB Staff - Designer
 
Posts: 5320
Joined: 05.05.07 11:04am

Postby Infinity's End » 08.18.08 8:55am

the MP2 manga is definitely NOT a doujin. It's an official manga. If you look at the front cover in tiny tiny tiny print.... in the bottom right corner, it says "Nintendo 2004, 2005" They're about as official as you can get. :)
Image
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

GeneralGM

Alpha Metroid
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 08.10.08 3:37am

Postby GeneralGM » 08.18.08 10:35am

Infinity's End wrote:the MP2 manga is definitely NOT a doujin. It's an official manga. If you look at the front cover in tiny tiny tiny print.... in the bottom right corner, it says "Nintendo 2004, 2005" They're about as official as you can get. :)


heh, didn't see that one.
Image

The Illusion

Zeta Metroid
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 05.11.08 8:03am

Postby The Illusion » 08.18.08 12:22pm

Samus and the GF marines were drawn well, but the story and everything else was thrown out the window. I mean, the pirates are all commandos and have muscular torsos, while splinters have huge eyes. And in that last shot, with the guy holding a rifle, I just got sad. I mean, I can understand the pistol, but messing with a design just so you can toss in a japanese stereotype? LAME.

n128

Hatchling
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 05.18.07 5:12pm

Re: Comic Bom Bom and Episode of Aether

Postby n128 » 08.22.08 6:58pm

CapCom wrote:Ok, here's a bit more information. It's a publication by Kodansha called Comic Bom Bom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Bom_Bom

There were a total of three Metroid manga series produced there:

Metroid Prime
Samus and Joe
Metroid Episode of Aether

The only ones I've found scans for are the first issue of Episode of Aether (look for it in a future update), though I know I've seen the second issue. I've never seen the Prime manga.

The Samus and Joe manga is fairly easy to find on E-bay (though a tad expensive) and was three issues.

If anyone has more information on these, please post here.


There is no Metroid Prime comic on comic bom bom.
Only Samus and Joe and Metroid Episode of Aether.
Source: japan wiki & me..

Regarding Metroid Episode of Aether

i have first and second issue in hand..the scan are from me actually.
but i am lazy to scan again and scaner is not so good.

And today I search japan wiki and found some said this comic is 7 issue,
from 05 july issue to 06 jan issue.
so I seach japan auction and found other issue.
I want to get them,
but the current problem is, some of issue are expensive now...
three of issue are us$25..(original price $ us4.6)
and i also have to pay shipping charge.. local and international..
and you can see comic bom bom in attached link..
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r41096143
it is with many pages.. so shipping wont cheap either..
i need to consider if I need to get it at this moment
even if i get it, may be I wont scan it.. as I am lazy...

sorry so many useless talk..
if you are interested in those comic and have someone can help to get it.
I can give you bid link.
Last edited by n128 on 08.22.08 7:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

CapCom

User avatar

MDB Staff - Director
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 05.04.07 12:08pm

Postby CapCom » 08.22.08 7:03pm

Ok. I tend to treat most of what's on Wikipedia regarding things like this with a grain of salt. I wasn't sold on 'Metroid Prime' manga, but Prime 2 is confirmed.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

MetroidMan25

Metroid
 
Posts: 95
Joined: 07.11.08 6:20am

Postby MetroidMan25 » 08.31.08 6:42am

wil we ever translate Metroid Episode of Aether. I wish i could read japenese, but I can only speak English and Spanish.
Don't you feel the power? Soon everything will be corrupted! Including YOU!- Ghor MP3


Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron