Chapter 12 Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Chapter 12 Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

Postby sharonlover » 12.04.08 6:55am

Here's the official discussion thread for Chapter 12.

So this chapter was just awesome :) We finally figure out where Samus get's her Chozo DNA from! What did y'all think about it?
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Quadraxis

Zeta Metroid

Re: Chapter 12 Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Quadraxis » 12.04.08 10:52am

Awesome as always. The battle scene between Gray Voice and Ridley was cool. But noooo, Ridley, you bastard!
How many characters has Ridley already killed?
Lots, I think. Lots.

Mother Brain also suddenly got her evil eye of doom. I don't understand where it came from. It does make her look way more evil, so that's probably why it wasn't there in earlier chapters.

Can't wait for the next one. I guess that's the one where the story finally goes to "20X5"?
Witch King: No man can slay me! Mine is an evil laugh!
Eowyn: Behold my vagina!
Witch King: * dies *

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 12.04.08 4:05pm

Gray Voice got the Smash Ball!
Gray Voice uses Zero Laser! :P

Very nice, but I was disappointed there wasn't really any footage of Samus really fighting on the hull of the ship. What an unconventional use of her skills.

"You're like his surrogate gunner!" -Leon, Star Fox Assault

Quadraxis

Zeta Metroid

Postby Quadraxis » 12.05.08 3:32pm

I wonder if the ship we blew into bits in Zero Mission wasn't the Space Pirate Mothership, but a Space Pirate mothership. This manga has something much bigger, much more crude and much more intimidating.

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 12.05.08 4:08pm

I would say it was the same mother ship. Samus never really takes down the one they have in the manga but in the end it spills over into Metroid Zero Mission and right on into the Mother Brain fight....so they would all be one in the same.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 12.05.08 9:33pm

Yeah, that mothership looks the same. Though I think it looked a bit smaller in MZM...

Well, I can say this episode had the one big revelation about where the DNA came from. Most of them have just been action that ultimately didn't include anything of much significance (I think I'd rather just play as Samus blowing things up :P).

That, and it had a joke that was actually funny. Most of the time they've just been kinda stupid.

The next one takes place immediately before MZM ("several years later"). That would put it in 20X5. The end of the manga ends before the Mother Brain fight. Remember also that Samus runs into Grey's ghost. I wonder if they wrote him (and other Chozo spirits?) into MZM via that glowing ball of light that illuminates the Chozo statues. That's probably him, and it causes the orb to make more sense. Unfortunately, this information is not communicated through the actual play - it's just a glowing light that makes no sense.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 12.05.08 9:43pm

The only thing that bugged me in this chapter was the translation near the end where Kreatz its waiting for the Federation ship and says, (page 60) "The tight beam won't connect. Are they not out of warp?"

Through me off, I actually changed the word to warp as it was originally 'imaginary skip', but I could not think for the life of me what they meant by tight beam. I'm assuming they meant something like a tractor beam or possible just a lock on to their location to warp themselves out. That'd be the only thing that bugged/confused me about this chapter.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 12.05.08 10:38pm

sharonlover wrote:The only thing that bugged me in this chapter was the translation near the end where Kreatz its waiting for the Federation ship and says, (page 60) "The tight beam won't connect. Are they not out of warp?"

Through me off, I actually changed the word to warp as it was originally 'imaginary skip', but I could not think for the life of me what they meant by tight beam. I'm assuming they meant something like a tractor beam or possible just a lock on to their location to warp themselves out. That'd be the only thing that bugged/confused me about this chapter.

I thought it was a communication beam. :roll:

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 12.05.08 10:43pm

That's what it sounds like from the way it's used in the dialouge.

Does anyone remeber what happened to Old Bird? I haven't seen him in a while but I don't remember him dying or anything like that.
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 12.06.08 12:31am

Eh, what I do when I see weird stuff like that is look up the individual kanji. Sometimes you find interesting things that might not be obvious from guessing...

"tight beam"
choukutsu (direct communication/nonstop service) + tsushinsha (news agency)

It's basically a communication beam (the original suggests news broadcast). Probably functions the same as an ansible, allowing for superluminary (faster than light) communication. 'Tight beam' has a special meaning in English (basically a very narrow band).

'imaginary skip'
kyo (empty) + ryo (quantity) + chouyaku (spring, jump, ~skip)

I'd have probably just translated it as a jump drive. The original term probably means something in Japanese, but for all intents and purposes, I think they're using a skip drive or jump drive, which opens a hole through space and teleports an object from one location to another (in Old Man's War - not recommended - the skip drive actually opened a hole into another universe almost exactly the same as this one and dumped the ship there). A warp drive or hyperdrive, on the other hand, would make the object travel at faster-than-light speeds through realspace. Other science fiction use things like wormholes or hyperspace. Dune used space folding, which is similar to a jump drive.

The Prime games suggest a warp drive due to the visual streak. Anybody remember if the manga had images of a ship going through warp?

It's kind of weird to introduce technical terms that are understood without explaining them (maybe it's common for other manga by this author?). I just think it's a techno-fetish that manga readers would understand. While you can kinda understand what the words mean, the meaning is ultimately unclear so it makes sense to change it to something that more people understand. Far as I'm concerned, it's footnote material as far as what the original text meant z:P
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Quadraxis

Zeta Metroid

Postby Quadraxis » 12.06.08 6:45am

sharonlover wrote:I would say it was the same mother ship. Samus never really takes down the one they have in the manga but in the end it spills over into Metroid Zero Mission and right on into the Mother Brain fight....so they would all be one in the same.

I checked later chapters of the manga and I noticed that the mothership of Zero Mission appears later. Looks just like it.
So...either they pimped their ride or that's a completely new ship.

Venomaniac

Metroid

Postby Venomaniac » 12.07.08 12:16am

I'm alittle confused to what has been happening
Samus goes into Zebes for no reason, encounter Ridley and MB, then leaves the planet after everyone dies WITH RIDLEY AND MB STILL ON THE PLANET??? :? :?
My favorite aspect of Metroid: the MYTHOLOGY

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 12.07.08 9:05am

have you been really reading the manga?

Samus went to Zebes to save the Chozo.
at the end of the Chapter the only who dies is Gray.
Samus is needed by the Chozo to escape so she couldn't stay and fight Ridley and MB

You may want to re-read the previous and this chapter or something cuz you are way off.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Venomaniac

Metroid

Postby Venomaniac » 12.07.08 12:51pm

sharonlover wrote:have you been really reading the manga?

Samus went to Zebes to save the Chozo.
at the end of the Chapter the only who dies is Gray.
Samus is needed by the Chozo to escape so she couldn't stay and fight Ridley and MB

You may want to re-read the previous and this chapter or something cuz you are way off.

Yeah I've been really confused. Thanks for clearing it up.
My favorite aspect of Metroid: the MYTHOLOGY

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions