The Official "Samus & Joey" Manga Thread

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Re: The Official "Samus & Joey" Manga Thread

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 10.06.15 9:54pm

Looking at it again, I'm noticing that her Varia Suit seems to run off the willpower stuff, but at the same time, it almost seems like Samus seems to control whether it's on or off by using her helmet. Like, her taking her helmet off means she is mentally commanding it to be removed, and then the suit goes off, almost like data stored inside the helmet that spreads to the rest of her body once she places the helmet on and mentally commands it to activate. Not a bad idea, actually. Of course, her armor has come off in different ways before. What's one more method, right?
:P
I noticed that as well, although I suppose the suit can do whatever Samus wants it to do since it's apart of her body. It might be a coincidental nod to fan art where Samus has her suit off, but her helmet still... exists. Then again, remember when Samus was nearly defeated in the acid ocean? All things considered, Samus' suit should have turned off if it ran on willpower. This IS Samus we're talking about here, on top of all the ridiculous things Samus does in Samus & Joey, keeping her suit together no matter what could be another notch under her belt.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.07.15 8:12pm

Apparently this manga ended.

One day I'm going to have to read it it seems.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Passion

Egg

Postby Passion » 10.18.15 8:27pm

Honestly, I think Joey looks hot in the ending. <3 <3 <3

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 10.19.15 1:04am

I wasn't sure where to put this, might as well be here. Any of you watch/know of "The Desk of Death Battle" by ScrewAttack.com? I think it would be cool if they talked about Samus & Joey(maybe add in the manga about Samus' backstory too), as a way to say "Did you all know that there are Metroid manga and that Samus does REALLY cool stuff in them?" Kind of like their episode on the Donkey Kong Country show, except the Metroid manga are good. Mentioning the translations here on the site might give them more attention as well. I'm not saying this with the intent of whoring out the site or anything, I just think it would be cool if someone out there(preferably someone with "reach" like ScrewAttack.com)would go "there are Metroid manga out there, they're good, here's how you can check them out."

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 02.13.16 12:05am

Found a sort of spelling error on this page:

1) The plural form of Samus' name is spelled wrong. It's spelled "Samus's" when it should be "Samus'." Whenever there's a word that ends in "s" and it's possessive, don't add an extra "s" after the '.

2) On the right side under the "Moon Up Presents" picture, the words, "he tries" are stuck right next to each other so that it looks like "hetries."

I go back to read Samus & Joey every now and then, I just so happened to pick this up this time around.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 02.13.16 9:28am

1. It's supposed to be possessive. It's correct.

2. That's a typo. Will fix it eventually... Thanks for pointing it out.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.13.16 10:11pm

1) The plural form of Samus' name is spelled wrong. It's spelled "Samus's" when it should be "Samus'." Whenever there's a word that ends in "s" and it's possessive, don't add an extra "s" after the '.
1. It's supposed to be possessive. It's correct.
Adding a confirmation on the grammar. The rule I was originally taught was that all words with an "S" at the end got only an apostrophe. I later came to understand that it was actually more complicated...anything ending with an "ess" sound could be given an "apostrophe-s", whereas anything ending with a "ezz" sound was just an apostrophe. A few years ago, I recall hearing that this rule had been scrapped altogether (by whoever rules over the English language), and that anything ending with an "S" of any kind can now go either way.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 02.14.16 4:48pm

On a different note, didn't you say you wanted to do an interview with the author, Idzuki Kouji? How's that coming?

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 02.15.16 7:01pm

There are two sets of thinking. The first is that if the 's' ending on the name is voiced, you can add the 's, but if it's unvoiced, you just add the apostrophe.

The simpler school of thinking is to just not give a shit and add the 's to the end of every name. That way, you don't have to argue about the ending pronounce.

So both are correct. As long as you're consistent with the rules, doesn't matter.

As for the interview - it's stalled. Stuff happened in my life. But what I have so far is very interesting
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 02.15.16 7:26pm

There are two sets of thinking. The first is that if the 's' ending on the name is voiced, you can add the 's, but if it's unvoiced, you just add the apostrophe.

The simpler school of thinking is to just not give a shit and add the 's to the end of every name. That way, you don't have to argue about the ending pronounce.

So both are correct. As long as you're consistent with the rules, doesn't matter.

As for the interview - it's stalled. Stuff happened in my life. But what I have so far is very interesting
I've been doing the ' stuff due to what I was taught in school. If it's a situation where no one cares anymore, sorry I caused a kerfuffle for nothing. I hope that interview can get off the ground at some point, I'd love to see it.

EDIT: I'd like to know why Idzuki Kouji didn't give Samus all of her Power Ups from Super Metroid (that's the game her suit design is based off of in S&J) or why Samus didn't stack her beams, other than to make sure that Samus wasn't too powerful.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 02.17.16 11:31pm

Found something else. On this page, Samus picks up Joey with her right arm as if she can grab things like her left arm:

You can see behind Joey that her right arm is like the left arm (without the cannon), so I'm guessing someone forgot to perform an image swap so that the arms are right, that Samus can't pick up stuff with her cannon, or Samus can retract/deactivate her cannon to use her right arm if she wants. That would explain how she grabbed onto the ceiling ladders with her arm cannon in Fusion. Reminds me of this:

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions