Does the manga spoil the illusion for you?

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
keztroid

Egg

Does the manga spoil the illusion for you?

Postby keztroid » 06.14.09 11:54am

Ive just been having a read through the super metroid manga stuff, and the original metroid manga, and its kinda ruined my thoughts on samus' lifestyle.
Obviously everybody has their own ideas and imagination as to what Samus does outside of the games, but personally, I always imaged she was a mysterious bounty hunter, who practically lived in her ship, turned up when she was needed, then vanished into the darkness of space when her job was done, only to appear again in a time of need.
She never/rarely spoke, she had no friends (by choice?), her family was wiped out, and her adopted family had all died off/been killed too. She had a suit designed for her by a far superior race who are now gone, and nobody understands how it works (except samus)
She was a loner who saved the galaxy and all she asked in return was the peace and solitude to contemplate her troubled existence.

But in the manga comics, she's just an average woman with a big space suit. Lives in an apartment somewhere in the city, the ship is in the garage downstairs, she's got friends and has occasional conversations, and if you took away the space suit, she was nothing special or interesting at all. To an extent, you could put anybody in the suit and they'd be exactly the same.

Just my thoughts. Anybody else agree? Or disagree? Or other?

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Re: Does the manga spoil the illusion for you?

Postby sharonlover » 06.14.09 12:15pm

moving topic
try putting your posts under the appropriate thread
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

keztroid

Egg

Postby keztroid » 06.14.09 12:35pm

Well considering the subtopic of the manga translation reads "want to help translate the manga comics", and this has nothing to do with me helping to translate them, I didnt think I should put it in here.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.14.09 5:36pm

keztroid wrote:Well considering the subtopic of the manga translation reads "want to help translate the manga comics", and this has nothing to do with me helping to translate them, I didnt think I should put it in here.

Not anymore! ;)
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 06.14.09 7:25pm

Well, the Super Metroid manga and Metroid strategy manga aren't canonical representations of Samus - they're done as humor. Beyond this is the MZM Manga (which is as close to canon as you can get), the Super Metroid comic (which also has a good degree of canonicity), and the Metroid Prime comic (which has little representation).

The Super Metroid comic gave Samus a 'bounty hunter with a heart of gold' depiction. The MZM Manga depicts her as a young woman suffering from PTSD and having the weight of being the defender of the galaxy on her shoulders. She also later shows herself to be a formidable warrior (and very quick to mention payment).

Lastly, there's the Captain N comics, which while they DO show Samus as being infatuated with a freckly Nintendo geek (which is, unsurprisingly a fantasy of many a freckly-faced Nintendo geek), she IS incredibly shrewd, greedy, and conniving, with a shitload of skills to boot. In one of the comics, I believe she backstabs the Captain N team for money and THEN backstabs the Mother Brain for even MORE money. Personally, I find that to be a rather believable representation. And of course there are a few good Samus representations in fanfic.

Ultimately, any representation of Samus is going to walk a fine line between giving us more than what we expect and spoiling our expectations. A lot of people don't like Samus having Chozo blood in her (though do like the idea of her being raised by Chozo) or the magically materializing power suit (which many a person on this board have likened to Power Rangers). These are not going to go away.

Of course, one big aspect of storytelling is being able to give juust enough to keep the imagination of the audience going. It's stimulating while making them hope for more that leads to so much creativity. However, when you go back and fill in some of that, the creativity of the designers can conflict with that of the imaginative fan.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

keztroid

Egg

Postby keztroid » 06.15.09 3:15pm

Infinity's End wrote:
keztroid wrote:Well considering the subtopic of the manga translation reads "want to help translate the manga comics", and this has nothing to do with me helping to translate them, I didnt think I should put it in here.

Not anymore! ;)

Ha :D

Its a shame there is no official backstory to Samus, though I am aware that would take alot of work and would require all the games to work together.
I was actually rather annoyed at the fact in MP3 she was sort of 'working in a team'. But she didnt speak, and ended up working alone anyway.
I think they should have just kept her working alone as mysterious mute woman. (Personally)
Ive not read all the mangas, and I probably wont now, as I quite like my own idea of Samus.

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 06.16.09 6:32am

keztroid wrote:
Ha :D

Its a shame there is no official backstory to Samus, though I am aware that would take alot of work and would require all the games to work together.
I was actually rather annoyed at the fact in MP3 she was sort of 'working in a team'. But she didnt speak, and ended up working alone anyway.
I think they should have just kept her working alone as mysterious mute woman. (Personally)
Ive not read all the mangas, and I probably wont now, as I quite like my own idea of Samus.

The Metroid Manga is a back story to Samus. It dwelves into her childhood and how she started out on the path of becoming a bounty hunter. How is that not a back story? And delusioning yourself over what you think Samus is like will eventually be ruined anyway if you plan on continuing to play the games as more and more of our heroine is revealed in each game until she will no longer be a mystery. I mean hell, we have a pretty solid time line of things that have happened from the age of 3 till the events in Super Metroid. There appears to be a gap between SM and Fusion, one where Other M is going to fill in some more.

*pats Kez* but you keep your idea of Samus as long as you can.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 06.17.09 9:42pm

Well, keep in mind that all of the events of the manga are fairly early in Samus' career, and although she's had her share of traumatic experiences, she still has more to come that likely cause her to become more introverted. Take Adam's death, for example. I always imagined that they would have become more than just friends, had Adam lived. I'm sure it must be terrible to lose someone so dear to you and since it was so much more recent than her parents' deaths, the pain would still be pretty fresh. Most hardened, introverted heroes (and heroins) have lost a loved one, and for Samus, Adam is as close as it gets.
i like it when people sig me

zeldafn333

Egg

Postby zeldafn333 » 06.17.09 11:42pm

Seeing as how this was made before Super and Fusion, the games do a very good job of following the story established by the manga.

Why doesn't nintendo re-release a form of this so that people understand Malkovich wasn't some random addition to Fusion, and why Samus and Ridley seem to have a pretty big vendetta going on.

Reading this really helped me understand the story more.
ImageImageImage

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 06.18.09 12:02am

It would be great if they officially released it in English, since not everyone knows it's available here. On the subject of Metroid background, I'd like an official book (like the Halo novels, but good) or something outlining the humans' discovery of efficient space travel, the founding of the GFed, background on Ridley's race, origins of the Chozo, discovery of the X, etc. Basically I want The Silmarillion: Metroid Edition. The manga was great, but I need more, and not necessarily about Samus.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 06.18.09 12:14am

Dryn the Chozo wrote:...I'd like an official book (like the Halo novels, but good) or something outlining the humans' discovery of efficient space travel, the founding of the GFed, background on Ridley's race, origins of the Chozo, discovery of the X, etc. Basically I want The Silmarillion: Metroid Edition.
I think Sylux pretty much has the unofficial version of this in his head.
"The world will always be more delicious than it is useful." - Robert Capon

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 06.18.09 1:21am

Heh... No offense to Sylux, but I prefer official - that way they can't release stuff that's actually canon and ruin your entire perception of things, because your perception of things IS canon. Therefore, although I respect the creativity and intelligence of fanfiction writers (I could never write good fanfiction), official canon is the only version that I actually accept. Although if Sylux could convince Nintendo to accept his version as canon, I'd gladly believe it.

EDIT: Ha! Official canon...How redundant of me.

sharonlover

Postby sharonlover » 06.18.09 6:30am

Dryn the Chozo wrote:Well, keep in mind that all of the events of the manga are fairly early in Samus' career, and although she's had her share of traumatic experiences, she still has more to come that likely cause her to become more introverted. Take Adam's death, for example. I always imagined that they would have become more than just friends, had Adam lived. I'm sure it must be terrible to lose someone so dear to you and since it was so much more recent than her parents' deaths, the pain would still be pretty fresh. Most hardened, introverted heroes (and heroins) have lost a loved one, and for Samus, Adam is as close as it gets.

You make it sound as if there is a love interest between Adam and Samus, when in fact there currently is no evidence of that at all. The only thing we get told is that she has a deep respect for him. That does not indicate a love interest and is currently only speculation.

Samus' ruthlessness is only toward her enemies. During the manga, Samus has respect for innocent life and is emotionally upset when something bad happens to those innocents. I think that would indicate that she is not as hardened or introverted as you make her sound. If anything hardened her, I think it would have been the death of the Metroid Hatchling.

Veering from what we know from games and going into speculation, I would think that Samus' 'hardened' and 'introverted' attitude probably comes from the fact that she was raised with a strange group of bird like creatures where she had no physical connection with. She may have been able to assimilate to her life with them, but she would have felt very out of place as a Human among birds. (you can search out the old "being raised by chozo" thread that's around somewhere if you want more speculation on that). Her hardened demeanor is probably mostly a ploy around others to exude confidence and strength. But we could go on forever debating that, which I will not do since we don't have concrete evidence of why she appears to be that way.

zeldafn333 wrote:Seeing as how this was made before Super and Fusion, the games do a very good job of following the story established by the manga.

Why doesn't nintendo re-release a form of this so that people understand Malkovich wasn't some random addition to Fusion, and why Samus and Ridley seem to have a pretty big vendetta going on.

I'm sure we will finally get a good grasp on Malkovich when Other M comes out. As for why Samus and Ridley seem to have a pretty big vendetta, that ones easily addressed in the manga. Ridley commanded the attack on K-2L, her home colony, that included the death of her parents and completely changed her life. I think that would be enough incentive to have a vendetta.
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

zeldafn333

Egg

Postby zeldafn333 » 06.18.09 11:05am

zeldafn333 wrote:Seeing as how this was made before Super and Fusion, the games do a very good job of following the story established by the manga.

I'm sure we will finally get a good grasp on Malkovich when Other M comes out. As for why Samus and Ridley seem to have a pretty big vendetta, that ones easily addressed in the manga. Ridley commanded the attack on K-2L, her home colony, that included the death of her parents and completely changed her life. I think that would be enough incentive to have a vendetta.

That's what I said. The only way someone would be able to know about K2L would be if they read the Manga, which is why Nintendo should in some form re-release it (not necessarily as a 20 year old comic, but just so people can understand the story).

I wasn't saying that the Manga doesn't explain it z;)
Last edited by zeldafn333 on 06.19.09 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 06.18.09 6:54pm

sharonlover wrote:You make it sound as if there is a love interest between Adam and Samus, when in fact there currently is no evidence of that at all. The only thing we get told is that she has a deep respect for him. That does not indicate a love interest and is currently only speculation.

I know it's only speculation, but in my opinion the way they interacted, it sort of seemed like they were flirting just a bit. But that's just my opinion. Even if there was no romance present, though, she still would have been greatly saddened by his death, especially since he died to save her.

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions