Manga: Canon or Not?

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
SheepCannon

Hatchling

Manga: Canon or Not?

Postby SheepCannon » 08.03.11 12:07pm

Do you consider the Manga canon or not? I personally don't consider it canon, and never have.
Kraid is too busy smackin' dem bitches to the curb to worry about dat Samus shit.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Manga: Canon or Not?

Postby Infinity's End » 08.03.11 12:47pm

This belongs in the Comics/Manga forum, and I have moved it there.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 08.03.11 1:45pm

Certain story elements and characters from the manga appear in the games (and in other comics and official material).

Creative liberties were taken with the game's story to make it more interesting to read.

Yoshio Sakamoto had creative input.

Few people outside of Japan have read the manga.

I'd say the parts that agree with the games are real and the rest is either fuzzy area or made up. For instance, I'd say there's a really good chance that Chairman Keaton is in charge of the Federation but that Mauk and Kreetz probably do not exist, considering events in Other M.

Comic and manga storylines are adaptations, so it's silly to consider them the real deal. More of a 'gaiden' than anything else.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 08.03.11 2:19pm

Certain story elements and characters from the manga appear in the games (and in other comics and official material).

Creative liberties were taken with the game's story to make it more interesting to read.

Yoshio Sakamoto had creative input.

Few people outside of Japan have read the manga.

I'd say the parts that agree with the games are real and the rest is either fuzzy area or made up. For instance, I'd say there's a really good chance that Chairman Keaton is in charge of the Federation but that Mauk and Kreetz probably do not exist, considering events in Other M.

Comic and manga storylines are adaptations, so it's silly to consider them the real deal. More of a 'gaiden' than anything else.
And that is why Other M and Fusion will remain canon. Well, that and the fact that Metroids were created to destroy the X-parasite.
Even the strongest of people can have their faith broken. Mine has.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 08.03.11 3:54pm

There's a lot more reasons to remove something from canon than a couple characters few people like. Mauk and Kreetz aren't that bad either by the end of the book. It's more an issue that they are incompatible with Samus' history with Adam as established by Other M. Like all the other comic adaptations, they're just fan fictions with a Nintendo license behind them.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

EmpReb

Zeta Metroid

Postby EmpReb » 01.04.12 10:02pm

Logically, because of Other M at this point, its not..... However if you prefer to throw out Other M as non Canon. I find it makes a much more interesting back story and wiggle its self in the the games Canon. That's if you throw out Other M.

So personally yes and I would leave that to each fan to decide. If it wasn't for Other M..... >_<
Last edited by EmpReb on 01.19.12 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a chick
:-? O_O o_O x_x
I think, I am just as shocked as most people are when they find out Samus is girl.
:rmg: "Remembuh to smile, Princess!"

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 07.07.13 6:45pm

Other M raises doubts in my mind about the Mother Brain-Chozo backstory because Zebesians are stated in Other M to be feral without Mother Brain.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.07.13 6:49pm

I don't believe the manga is canon. Nor do I really want it to be. I agree with CapCom. It's an adaptation that gets some elements correct but other things are additions that in all likelihood don't exist in the Metroid Universe.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 07.07.13 6:55pm

I don't believe the manga is canon. Nor do I really want it to be. I agree with CapCom. It's an adaptation that gets some elements correct but other things are additions that in all likelihood don't exist in the Metroid Universe.
I agree as well. The Chozo are clearly ancient by the time of the games.

TheBlackCat

Omega Metroid

Postby TheBlackCat » 07.09.13 2:19pm

Other M raises doubts in my mind about the Mother Brain-Chozo backstory because Zebesians are stated in Other M to be feral without Mother Brain.
It says they are feral without a leader. Ridley was originally their leader, but Mother Brain was somehow able to make him serve under her later, and they in turn obeyed their leader's leader. Both Ridley and Mother Brain were gone, so they had no leader at all.

As for the timeline, I don't see the problem there, either. After Adam saw her performance there she was recruited into his unit. So her time with Adam takes place between the childhood portion of the manga and the adult portion.

And I thought it was pretty much explicitly stated that the manga was meant to be canonical.
Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 07.09.13 3:02pm

It says they are feral without a leader. Ridley was originally their leader, but Mother Brain was somehow able to make him serve under her later, and they in turn obeyed their leader's leader. Both Ridley and Mother Brain were gone, so they had no leader at all.

As for the timeline, I don't see the problem there, either. After Adam saw her performance there she was recruited into his unit. So her time with Adam takes place between the childhood portion of the manga and the adult portion.

And I thought it was pretty much explicitly stated that the manga was meant to be canonical.
1. I wasn't saying that the Chozo backstory contradicts the Adam backstory. I was saying that by the time of the games, the Chozo clearly have been extinct as long as the Roman Empire. I guess Samus could be ancient herself.

2. The Manga was never stated to be canon.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.09.13 6:59pm

Regarding the Chozo, they once had a planets-spanning empire. In the manga there are only a few left. It's not that Samus is ancient. It's that their empire is ancient and there were only a few survivors who raised Samus.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 07.09.13 8:56pm

Regarding the Chozo, they once had a planets-spanning empire. In the manga there are only a few left. It's not that Samus is ancient. It's that their empire is ancient and there were only a few survivors who raised Samus.
But those few survivors were on Zebes.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.09.13 9:52pm

Your point? The Roman Empire crumbled a long, long time ago, and there are still structures that remain from it in Italy and other parts of their empire. Descendants of Roman citizens now live there and all over the planet. It's not at all far fetched to think that those survivors would go to a place that has links to their race.

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 07.09.13 9:56pm

Your point? The Roman Empire crumbled a long, long time ago, and there are still structures that remain from it in Italy and other parts of their empire. Descendants of Roman citizens now live there and all over the planet. It's not at all far fetched to think that those survivors would go to a place that has links to their race.
My point is that the Chozo seem LONG-extinct on Zebes.

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions