New to Manga, where to start?

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
Acebaur

Mochtroid

New to Manga, where to start?

Postby Acebaur » 08.31.12 12:38am

Hi all,

I've long been a fan of the Metroid series dating back to the first game on NES, but I never was really into comics so I never read any of the manga. I find myself interested in reading some of them and finding out more about Samus and the Metroid universe. I see that there are several on the Database here available for reading but I'm not sure where to start.

So I ask you which manga do you think is best to start with? It doesn't necessarily have to be chronological; I'm just looking for a good read to start with.

Thanks in advance

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Re: New to Manga, where to start?

Postby Tianna » 08.31.12 12:56am

Probably the Zero Mission manga. That's what I would suggest, anyway. :3

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 08.31.12 5:58am

In my opinion, if you've never read manga before, you'll either love it or hate it. Go ahead and give what Tianna recommended a shot, and if you don't like it, just play Zero Mission. It's got a few flashbacks. Then play Prime. Some of the lore references Samus being raised by the Chozo.

I'm of the mindset that I only consider the games themselves canon. I just find the manga too cheesy. Unfortunately, in the games, they don't show that much of her past.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 08.31.12 6:16am

Unfortunately, in the games, they don't show that much of her past.
That's pretty much the main reason I even bothered with the series manga. I enjoyed the five part comic that was in Nintendo Power and the comic strips, but aside from that I haven't been nearly as into the rest of the comics. And personally, I love comics. I think that how Akira Himekawa handled the Zelda comics was a lot better than the artists who did the Metroid comics. I'd love to see a reboot.

Acebaur

Mochtroid

Postby Acebaur » 08.31.12 9:25am

Ok I'll check out the Zero mission one. I've played all the games, so I'm familiar with what little backstory they have given her

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 09.11.12 6:45am

Zero Mission is good because it explains the back story.

There's the four-panel Super Metroid manga - that's also good.

If you've played any of the Prime games, check out Episode of Aether. We're missing the last chapter, but it's got great illustration and character development.

However, there are manga far better than anything in the Metroid series. If you haven't read Akira, check out your local library - they probably have a copy.

But it doesn't really matter WHERE you start, so long as you go out and READ!!! :awesome:
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Insomniac By Choice

Hatchling

Postby Insomniac By Choice » 11.05.12 11:25pm

Zero Mission is good because it explains the back story.

There's the four-panel Super Metroid manga - that's also good.

If you've played any of the Prime games, check out Episode of Aether. We're missing the last chapter, but it's got great illustration and character development.

However, there are manga far better than anything in the Metroid series. If you haven't read Akira, check out your local library - they probably have a copy.

But it doesn't really matter WHERE you start, so long as you go out and READ!!! :awesome:
Lone Wolf & Cub is still the gold standard for me. I have the 6 volume set of Akira and it's gorgeous, but Lone Wolf & Cub is just art.

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions