What about the canon manga is bad?

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

What about the canon manga is bad?

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 11.01.13 9:31pm

From what I've read, without really looking into it, the only bad part is that when the manga starts the time skip, the manga seems to rush toward the end as fast as it can. Also, when the NES Metroid starts, all sorts of errors/inconsistencies/continuity problems emerge. Why does Samus fight Imago and the King Worm an the same time? Why does Samus have some sort of Spirit Walk with Gray Voice, obtain the Varia Suit and teleport her body to her location, then Ridley comes out of nowhere. Not to mention Samus has the Ice Beam and Wave Beam without any indication she had it in the first place, and the fucking Plasma Beam, which REALLY fucks with Zero Mission. Other than the ending though, I don't see too much wrong with it. The PTSD thing was WAAAY too dramatic though. Samus asking to kill herself seems stupid and "out of character" as loose as that phrase is around here... I'd say that I'm not the only one who would benefit from being informed on what made this manga bad to some people, any information is appreciated.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Re: What about the canon manga is bad?

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.01.13 9:35pm

Because it's cheap, schlocky, and generic? For as many cool scenes of Space Pirates being dismembered, there are the 100 stock anime/manga tropes that bog it down as "just another manga." It's really nothing special outside of its license affiliation. The e-manga is boring shonen junk. At least the Super Metroid comic has fun and stylish Benumaru Itoh artwork, and at least Samus and Joey has, like, a chain-gun scene.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 11.02.13 2:58pm

What EI said.

The melodrama is what drives me nuts.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 11.12.13 11:48am

The only interesting thing in the manga was that Samus was a member of the police force instead of the military. Something about Samus being an ex-cop turned bounty hunter just seems right. Maybe because it's similar to Boba Fett's old origin?

But it's not really that cool because the manga doesn't do anything interesting with the idea. She's a member of the police force for like 5 seconds, and then you get an awkward retelling of Zero Mission.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.12.13 2:37pm

Ex-law enforcement makes more sense then ex-military. No sensible military in existence, fictional or otherwise, would let a private citizen run around with that much firepower. They'd rather her dead than a free radical. Regional law enforcement wouldn't likely be nearly as strict or controlling, though it's hard to believe that suit of hers remaining inconspicuous in any capacity for long. Either the Galactic Federation are imbeciles, or they're smart enough to know they couldn't stop her anyway. Just one of the many problems with Samus' past being so very vague.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 11.12.13 3:11pm

though it's hard to believe that suit of hers remaining inconspicuous in any capacity for long. Either the Galactic Federation are imbeciles, or they're smart enough to know they couldn't stop her anyway.
It's been a while since I read the manga but weren't the Chozo already supplying the Federation with new technology? Why would the feds risk pissing them off for no real gain?

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 11.13.13 9:13pm

There was another cool idea in the manga: Remember how Samus wanted more combat experience in order to kill Ridley, so she took a bunch of dirty jobs and became jaded?

That could have been the whole story right there but it only got a single panel >_<X

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Postby sharonlover » 12.02.13 8:29am

One thing people forget is that in Japan, the idea of a lady in battle armor was not new (Bubblegum Crisis for example). The whole manga played like a lot of typical manga then and now.

Hell, if you compare Metroid to a lot of games, the concept of being the "lone" warrior saving someone or something doesn't make a game interesting. What makes it interesting is the story and atmosphere which they knocked out of the park all the way through the Prime series.

So I can't say the manga was bad. I really enjoyed it because it opened up Samus' past; however, compared to others like it, it's mediocre and doesn't really bring anything new to the genre of manga it represents.
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions