Manga timeline

Discuss anything related to Metroid comics and manga in here!
CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Manga timeline

Postby CapCom » 05.24.08 6:40pm

Bear with me as this goes into a bit of extensive technical detail. If you're not that interested, just skip to the numbered list and only read that part and a couple paragraphs below it.

Anyway, awhile back there was some talk about the dates and how they correspond with the rest of the timeline, particularly the one that I made:

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/?g ... p=timeline

First, a note. 2000 is the date used in the manga and the manuals for Metroid, Metroid II, and Super Metroid. Only MZM uses 2003, and I'm thinking now this is just a marketing ploy and not a true retcon - unless, of course, they follow this in a future game (and none of the Prime manuals mention '20X5' or '2000').

Flipping through the untranslated part of the manga, I think we can divide the manga up into a few clear consecutive chunks, in which all events occur consecutively (besides flashbacks, of course):

1. The raid on K-2L until Samus is infused with Chozo blood (Vol 1-2)
2. Samus's last days before she left Zebes (Vol 2)
3. Samus's mission against the Space Pirates until after her first mission to Zebes (Vol 2 - 12)
4. The discovery of the Metroids until Samus's attack on the Mother Brain in M1/MZM (Vol 13 - 16).

Now just a few notes. It's possible that the gap between 2 and 3 is relatively short, though it could have been a couple years. However, a period of no less than 3 years exists between 3 and 4: this is due to the translation of the second panel here:

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/re ... a/2.13&m=m

suunen-go: several years later

This also clearly reflects the more mature look we see for Mook and Kleatz.

So how's this all fall back onto the timeline?

Well, if we go by the assumption that 2000 is the raid on K-2L, then that suggested 2015 was the date of M1 and the discovery of the Metroids.

HOWEVER

A period of 'several years' between 3 and 4 means there is a gap of no fewer than 3 years between the two, which ultimately means 2015 makes no sense.

If we take the bare minimum of 3 years, then 3 takes place in 2012 - in which case Samus is only 15 years old. Which is ridiculous in two ways. First, because the police force would not hire a kid, not even in the Cosmic Year 2012. Second, Samus is drawn looking too mature to be 15 in section 3.

Sure, you can say 'well, the Chozo blood did it' but this is stupid because it's a cop-out answer and it adds an unnecessary narrative (even though we don't really know what all Chozo blood does anyway - I'm just not up to inventing narratives). Unless you want a Metal Gear Solid narrative where her metabolism and aging increases, I simply don't see the logic.

Now, we could push the date to 2025 - but this would mean Samus would be 28, and based on my estimates would be in her early 30s by the time Super Metroid rolls around. Which I suppose would be fine if you wanted to play as an older Samus, but I don't quite see how that makes sense, and most adventure stories star younger people anyway - old people are simply too smart to go adventuring unless they're duty-bound to it or take it up as a profession.

Therefore, my only conclusion is that the raid on K-2L could not have happened in 2000 unless you decide to add a lot of narratives and explanation that already isn't in the text (i.e. rapid aging). And Papa Aran can be just as enthusiastic about 'helping the Galaxy thrive' if the Galactic Federation was a few years old rather than newly-minted. And his enthusiasm does suggest that he may have witnessed its formation - or is just a workaholic, following the 'Japanese spirit'.

Anyway, I'm not going to put TOO much stock into the details of the manga and its relationship with the rest of the series, only to point out these discrepancies. That and we can mark the last couple issues as mostly crap anyway considering how they take place at the same time as the game - and how the player plays the game ultimately takes priority over somebody's story version of it (especially if it adds unnecessary characters and dialogue).
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

ChozoBoy

Gamma Metroid

Postby ChozoBoy » 05.24.08 11:32pm

Good post. The time period you are looking at is a slippery slope. There are only a few select parts of the entire canon where we have a good timetable between specific games/stories/events.

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 05.25.08 12:37pm

Of course this is all based on the assumption that the calander the Galactic Federation uses has one "year" being exactly the same duration as an earth year. Samus could be 7 Zebesian years old at the time of point 3 for all we know. We also cannot say with any degree of certainty how many "Years" have passed between 2000 and 20X5 since we don't know how their calander works on account of them putting letters in their numbers.
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 05.25.08 9:50pm

True, but I assume they are using a Galactic Federation Standard. I mean, Samus says she's 'three years old'. Is this Earth Years? Martian Years? K-2L Years? It's probably from wherever she grew up - or an interplanetary standard. Chances are the Federation uses a calendar that's either is or is closely based on the Earth calendar (considering humans are the most important part of the Federation - they DO control the military after all) or on the calendar of the Planet Daiban, which is where the Senate is located (though personally, I think it makes more sense to have a calendar system based on where the intergalactic capitol is located).

I also don't think the authors are clever enough to think about years and dates and calendar systems (even though they obviously should for continuity purposes) and thus assume everything is in Earth-time. Simply claiming they're using inconsistent calendar systems is something of a cop-out done after the fact. It is, after all, just a manga :P

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Maetch

Zeta Metroid

Postby Maetch » 06.08.08 12:48pm

I read the timeline, and I do like your explanations. I had my own timeline, but I never accounted for Admiral Dane's past like you did. Good call.

I just have one question: Where does Adam Malkovich fall into all this? I mean, when did Samus first encounter him? Did she serve under him as a police officer like the manga despicts or merely met him on a Hunter mission.

I think the police theory makes more sense, since Samus as a Hunter doesn't seem like the kind of woman who likes being ordered around, yet her respect for Adam seems to imply that she actually liked him as a CO. If she was a police officer when she served under him, then she wouldn't have had a choice in her orders, yet she clearly had respect for his judgement. Either way, Adam does warrent some mention on account of his role.
:metroid: = Ultimate Warrior
8) = Ultimate Warrior
Therefore, 8) = :metroid:

Now you know why they call it Metroid.

---

This is the song, written for the chase scene!
This is the song, Samus and James!
He tri-ied to kill me with a forklift! (Ole!)

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 06.08.08 1:29pm

Whatever happened to Adam will be figured out when we get more of the manga translated. He likely died either in the first mission to Zebes or the second (you'll have to flip through the issues to find out). He probably dies in space blowing up his ship or ramming it into something else to save some lives. In any event, Adam is Samus' commanding officer during her days as part of the Police.

I'm also not terribly happy about basing part of the timeline on a minor character who has a rumor surrounding him, even if it does make a bit of sense. It also remains to be seen what the manga does to the timeline, and I'm not completely convinced that the K-2L raid takes place in 2000 CC due to Samus' age at key events later on.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Re: Manga timeline

Postby samusfan » 01.22.12 11:13pm

Excuse me,but the timeline you put in database,shows that samus is 26 old in fusion events,Isn't that?
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Postby Rustedsoda » 01.23.12 4:57pm

I actually figured Samus was somewhat older in Super, due to some of the maternal subtext of that game. I'm not saying younger women can't be in that situation, however it seemed to me as if Samus's biological clock had gone off already. Given that, by Metroid II, Samus cannot likely produce children, she probably turned to the infant Metroid as an alternative, since it had already chosen her. In fact, this is reflected by a lot of Super Metroid's supplementary material, and is practically the thesis of Other M's setup.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 01.23.12 8:01pm

Yeah, the timeline is a little whack because the dates between Prime games was more firmly set after the Trilogy came out. Your description of biological clocks also makes sense. She's probably in her 30s in Other M.

I'm not sure though if Samus knew she couldn't have children. It's certainly something she could have checked with a doctor, but I'm not sure why she would want to do that. There was no love relationship between her and Adam (seems her relationship with Ian was more of brother/sister, too), and there are no other characters she gets close with in the games.

Maybe the Baby Metroid can be explained away by Samus & Joey - "Wouldn't it be nice to have a kid like Joey...?" :AH:

Hard to say - there aren't many loner female characters in film and literature who lead a life remotely close to Samus.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 01.23.12 11:19pm

Samus can't produce children?And why u tell she is 30 old in other m if the timeline in features parts shows she is 26 old n fusion?

Anyway fusion is about 1 year after other right? so she can be 31 in fusion?

Really she can't produce children?

Who will be the mother of my children now? xD
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Postby Rustedsoda » 01.24.12 5:46pm

The idea that Samus cannot produce children isn't something that comes from her age. Rather, it is a theory based on her outstanding circumstances.

You see, in order to survive on Zebes, the Chozo infused her with their own DNA, effectively hybridizing her well before she would ever produce an egg. The immediate problem with this can be seen in mules, the result of breeding a donkey and a horse. They, as seen in many other cases of hybrid animals, cannot reproduce, due to complications with their amalgamated DNA.

Even before the first Metroid began, Samus's ability to bear children was next to nil. But another event occurred before Metroid II which further nailed the coffin shut: Samus's phazon corruption. Not only had her body begun physically turning into a variant made of phazon, but she was thus exposed to harmful amounts of radiation, something which IRL can sterilize.

It is not uncommon for women who cannot reproduce for various reasons (infertility, barren, sterile, lesbian, too old, etc.) to take a greater liking to children than other women (many theorize that Terra of Final Fantasy 6 may fall into this category as well.) In fact, throughout the Metroid manga, it is shown that Samus does indeed have a tenderness for children(even before the first game!) See: Damara, and the other students joining the federation academy.

All of this means little at the time of Metroid Fusion of course, which is currently the latest in the timeline. However, it is interesting to note that Samus is infused not only with Metroid DNA, but that of many, many other creatures (and herself, again. yeah.) If she had any chance of producing a child before, it is gone now.

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 01.24.12 6:28pm

For one point that is good, if she can't have children,so she is the only one forever capable of fight against powerfull dangerous creatures in the galaxy,so every metroid will be with Samus only, not a another one in her place,like we see in megaman,for that point is good.

Now about her age?in timeline 2055 Samus born, 2081 Fusion events,so she is 26 old in fusion right?

DrevanZero

Gamma Metroid

Postby DrevanZero » 01.24.12 7:00pm

i disagree that samus cannot have children. heres my arguement. ITS A VIDEO GAME. NINTENDO CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO SAMUS. i actually wouldnt mind samus having a child, because as she continues to age she cannot protect the galaxy forever
Forget queen metroid, I'M THE KING!
Shut up or I will pour a pot of steaming-hot emo on you!!!
Check out my fangame site at: http://metroidrevival.freeforums.org/index.php

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 01.24.12 7:40pm

I agree but some reasons will not be good if another one try to save galaxy in samus place.
First she is the only one alive that morph into ball,if another one hero stay in her place, the metroid games will not be the same.
And she is the metroid series symbol, i will not like if they put someone in her place,like i said before it can be bad for any kind of series.

The best thing nintendo can do is to delay the history,like 3 4 chapters of metroid in same year,
or an event that makes Samus live much more than ordinary humans,like all her DNA combination

And again i want to know Samus age :P.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 01.25.12 10:36am

In fact, throughout the Metroid manga, it is shown that Samus does indeed have a tenderness for children(even before the first game!) See: Damara, and the other students joining the federation academy.
Be careful with drawing too many conclusions. I think these scenes are used to show Samus being reminded of her own misfortune on K-2L. She doesn't want that to happen to others. There is more than one explanation.

Samus's attachment to the Baby was also said to be a property of the Metroid bond, so there are other possibilities. It can be really easy to speculate and add things in that make sense, but maybe weren't intended by the authors.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Return to “%s” Comics/Manga Discussions