Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!

Moderator: Moderators

Qazz777

Alpha Metroid

Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Postby Qazz777 » 08.26.10 10:53am

My personal favorite is Super Metroid.
Thats the one i first played and I've beaten it just about 100 times
and still love playing it.

Faybro

Gamma Metroid

Re: Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Postby Faybro » 08.26.10 8:25pm

Fusion or Zero Mission.

Metroid I and II were clunky, slow, difficult, and unforgiving. Great, great games, but difficult.

Super Metroid was great, but for some reason I just didn't enjoy it that much. I can't find reason why, but... I just didn't enjoy it.

The first Metroid I ever really got into and beat was Fusion. And, oh boy, did I beat it. I played it again and again and again and loved it each time. I think I played through it... What, 9 times now?

As for Zero Mission... Also a great game; a brilliant way to return to the original Metroid and probably the best way yet to introduce somebody to the series other than Trilogy.

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 08.26.10 9:28pm

Faybro wrote:Fusion or Zero Mission.

Metroid I and II were clunky, slow, difficult, and unforgiving. Great, great games, but difficult.

Super Metroid was great, but for some reason I just didn't enjoy it that much. I can't find reason why, but... I just didn't enjoy it.

The first Metroid I ever really got into and beat was Fusion. And, oh boy, did I beat it. I played it again and again and again and loved it each time. I think I played through it... What, 9 times now?

As for Zero Mission... Also a great game; a brilliant way to return to the original Metroid and probably the best way yet to introduce somebody to the series other than Trilogy.

This, except that I know exactly why I enjoyed Super less than Fusion/Zero Mission. The controls sucked. Super was still a great game, but I think Zero Mission nailed the formula just as well with better controls and Fusion had the best wtf moments. (My favorite moment in the entire series is the way Nightmare is foreshadowed -literally- when you are way too weak to fight him.)

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 08.26.10 9:56pm

I think Super was my favorite for years, but now I'd have to say it's Zero Mission. I think part of the reason has to do with the fact that Super records you total time in whole minutes, and when you spend years shaving a few seconds off here and a few seconds off there, you don't see the results until you shorten it by a whole minute. ZM records in seconds so I can actually see the progress. I recently beat my record by 5 seconds and was pretty excited.

SuperGamecube64

Metroid

Postby SuperGamecube64 » 08.26.10 11:23pm

Zero Mission, it was my first 2d Metroid,

Qazz777

Alpha Metroid

Postby Qazz777 » 08.26.10 11:59pm

I also loved fusion, me and my cousin spent hours playing it at the same
time calling eachother every time we got an item.

Zero mission was also great, i personly liked the chase part in zero
suit allthough it was very hard.

Out of the two though i prefered Fusion.

One thing i loved about super was the X-ray visor.

Mewtwo

Omega Metroid

Postby Mewtwo » 08.27.10 1:45am

There are things I love about every 2D Metroid games!
The ones I love most are probably Fusion and Super though. They had the most fun gameplay and bosses (defining parts of a game to me!)
Super is just the quintessential Metroid, its such a sprawling world with heaps of challenges.
Fusion has amazing gameplay, the moves are so seamless and quick, and I loved having that bit of story in there. Plus the parts with SA-X where you couldn't fight, but had to run/hide were just on a new level~

Zero Flare

Gamma Metroid

Postby Zero Flare » 08.27.10 5:41am

Mewtwo wrote:There are things I love about every 2D Metroid games!
The ones I love most are probably Fusion and Super though. They had the most fun gameplay and bosses (defining parts of a game to me!)
Super is just the quintessential Metroid, its such a sprawling world with heaps of challenges.
Fusion has amazing gameplay, the moves are so seamless and quick, and I loved having that bit of story in there. Plus the parts with SA-X where you couldn't fight, but had to run/hide were just on a new level~

This. But damn. Fusion is a difficult game.

Chronicler

Metroid

Postby Chronicler » 08.27.10 5:35pm

I like Super the most, but that's mostly because it was a game I grew up playing.

@Zero Flare
I didn't think Fusion was that hard (sans Nightmare of course). Now Metroid, that's a difficult game (more because of its age than anything else though).
"It takes an awful long time to not write a book."
-Douglas Adams

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 08.27.10 6:54pm

I think 'hard' is totally relative, because I wouldn't call any of the games in the metroid series 'hard'. I think it's a pretty easy series of games and the only time you ever die is when you're playing them for the first time and trying to figure out how to kill certain bosses. Other than that, it's pretty 'hard' to die. They give you tons of energy reserves and they're constantly throwing refills at you.

Mewtwo

Omega Metroid

Postby Mewtwo » 08.27.10 10:43pm

Fusion bosses are hard, Super is generally hard because you get lost, or don't know where you're going Dx

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 08.27.10 11:17pm

Fusion for the bosses, Zero Mission for the exploration/tricks.
sharonlover wrote:back on topic, take your bondage discussion to pm please

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 08.28.10 12:28am

Metroid II; because it introduced the evolutions of the Metroids, had the Metroid Counter, and (despite being spoiled by the beginning of Super Metroid) the ending where Samus finds the little baby Metroid that doesn't try to kill her.

Oh, and because it was the first Metroid game I actually owned. (Though, I did play Super Metroid long before that.)
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Archaic

Alpha Metroid

Postby Archaic » 08.28.10 11:08am

metroid 2, just cause it was the first i played/owned

i actually still have a gameboy(the brick that needs 4 AA's) so i can get my retro on.
Steamlord wrote:
Archaic wrote:1

Record for shortest post ever?

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 08.29.10 5:22am

Archaic wrote:metroid 2, just cause it was the first i played/owned

i actually still have a gameboy(the brick that needs 4 AA's) so i can get my retro on.

I bought a Gameboy specifically for this, and I love it.
sharonlover wrote:back on topic, take your bondage discussion to pm please

Next

Return to Metroid Classic