Other M Weirdness (Spoilers)

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!

Moderator: Moderators

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Other M Weirdness (Spoilers)

Postby CapCom » 09.16.10 12:01am

Figured we could use a sticky thread on this!

Here's a few weird things I've noticed so far:

-There are lots of tiny bugs outside the command center before you fight the Purple Monster (this is pretty easy to see).

-The dead scientist in the command center is covered in green. Was he killed by Choogle or the purple monster?

-Lyle is arthophobic. He freaks out with the purple bug and you can hear him say, "Bugs!? Why did it have to be bugs!?" after the battle.

-Lyle must have been killed by Choogle. However, what's that busted jeep doing? You don't see it when you run into the Exam Center for the first time. Maybe Lyle drove it? Would be kind of funny if he picked up Choogle thinking it was a cute thing.

-Once you find Choogle's husk, you can go back and look at Lyle. He's in pretty bad shape. However... The soldiers disappeared from the room completely! You'd think they would have at least covered up the body or something. They REALLY don't seem to care too much that their buddy just bought it.

-Also in the Exam center, once you open the room with the Cyborg Zebesians, step back and go back to the room where Anthony and K.G. are examining the floor - they've disappeared! They won't return until you visit Maurice again.

-James is showing a LOT of interest in the mainframe. It makes sense if we know he's the Deleter. He also shows up at the EC first and was probably deleting the data on the hard drives.

-Speaking of James, what is he doing in the Exam Center when Anthony and K.G. split from him?

-The dead Cyborg Zebesian scene seems inspired directly from Dario Argento. Reminded me of a couple scenes from Suspiria, but it's probably a common horror trope.

-It's funny how Adam's instructions for the fatal mission with Ian were pretty much the exact same for the Bottle Ship - search for survivors is the highest priority.

-Samus' legs appear to be longer on the Power Suit than in her Zero Suit when she dies.

-Skultera can jump out of the water! If they land on the ground, they will flop around for awhile before exploding! (It's kind of hard to do, but I got it on video)

-Choogle cries out before many of the early battles to rile up the tough enemies.

-K.G. Misawa is thrown in the lava at the broken bridge. But he's been incinerated at this point...

-When did James leap out of the loader?

-The Desbrachian Rhedogian was modeled after Anomalocaris, a mysterious creature from the Burgess Shale (about 500 million years ago) that ate trilobites (it's about 3 feet long). The creature was originally discovered in parts and later reassembled. Scientists first thought it was three separate animals. The grasping forelimbs were one of the three separate pieces - they can also be frozen and blown off. What would Stephen Jay Gould think?

-At the game's end, Ridley's corpse, along with Nightmare and the bug things were removed by the GFed military. Ridley and Nightmare reappear, of course, in Fusion.

There's a few things with the character names, too. I don't know all of them, but there's a lot... And Adam's spaceship is named after the ship from X.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Other M Weirdness (Spoilers)

Postby Infinity's End » 09.16.10 12:43am

It's tough to pull off, but you can trick the Kyratians to jump into the water in the Cryosphere. When they do, they instantly die.

You can see the purple bugs (Brugs) scattering around when you enter the first women's bathroom.

I'm pretty convinced that Brugs are also the exact same little purple bugs you see that crawl on you in Brinstar in Zero Mission and you have to bomb them off of you.

(Not exactly weird, but for the record, Skulteras are really "Skultetras" and are most likely called Skulteras due to a translation error way back in the good ol' SNES days. It's in the concept art, and it's also in the Fusion strategy guide. This makes much more sense, considering a tetra is a type of small, freshwater fish)
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,100 unique artworks and still growing!

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 09.16.10 12:49am

Samus only explores the women's restrooms. There could have been some neato upgrades or expansions in those men's rooms... Not to mention a potential survivor or two...
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Thardus

Alpha Metroid

Postby Thardus » 09.16.10 1:04am

Also, there are no toilets in said restrooms. What are people supposed to do wiht their bodily waste? Don't answer that.
Thank you infinitys End for the avvy
(I never put Infinity Ward here. You don't know what you're talking about)

Now, I just need to check my e-mail more often, so I notice these things

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.16.10 1:22am

Thardus wrote:Also, there are no toilets in said restrooms. What are people supposed to do wiht their bodily waste? Don't answer that.
There are toilets in the stalls, aren't there?
"The world will always be more delicious than it is useful." - Robert Capon

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 09.16.10 1:34am

mental wrote:
Thardus wrote:Also, there are no toilets in said restrooms. What are people supposed to do wiht their bodily waste? Don't answer that.
I never saw any... -_-;
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

CRtheMighty

Metroid Queen

Postby CRtheMighty » 09.16.10 1:40am

mental wrote:
The only thing in any of the stalls is that Accel. Unit. You can get a better look in Hard Mode, when there's no powerups to be had. There's no toilets. It's almost like those are supposed to be locker rooms instead. I mean, there are chairs and things.

-The dead scientist in the command center was probably killed by the purple guy; there's no indication that Choogle left Sector 1. Then again, it might be the usual "green blood is less graphic" (though it is confusing. For the longest time I thought Ganondorf was puking).
-No one likes Lyle, that's why the neglect.
-James, when you first arrive, is probably blowing up the CPU. Maurice thinks it self-destructed. When James splits from Anthony and KG, he's probably planting the explosive that takes out the Exam Center. That split is during the last over the shoulder bit before El Pollo, isn't it? And EC goes boom right after you leave for the Pyrosphere.
-The dead cyborg Zebesian scared the pants off me. I knew something was gonna jump out at me there...
-If Samus weren't so busy monologuing, she'd have caught James leaving the loader and we would've had the Deleter subplot tied up in a neat little bow before it even got started. Alternatively, he didn't leave until Samus had gone off to Sector 3. Meaning she's an idiot.
Metroids are not pets.
Metroids are not to be used for target practice.

Friends don't let friends massacre civilians, Jim.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.16.10 1:57am

CRtheMighty wrote:There's no toilets. It's almost like those are supposed to be locker rooms instead. I mean, there are chairs and things.
The lounge areas just inside the bathroom entryways in Other M have been compared with womens'/nursing lounges in real-world bathrooms. How common are those in the real world, by the way?

CRtheMighty

Metroid Queen

Postby CRtheMighty » 09.16.10 2:00am

mental wrote:
CRtheMighty wrote:There's no toilets. It's almost like those are supposed to be locker rooms instead. I mean, there are chairs and things.
The lounge areas just inside the bathroom entryways in Other M have been compared with womens'/nursing lounges in real-world bathrooms. How common are those in the real world, by the way?
I'm not the most reliable source, since I live in bloody Maternity Valley, but they're everywhere. Chicks have nice bathrooms. Which ends up making the thought of a nursing lounge on a bioweapon space station a little less ridiculous.
Metroids are not pets.
Metroids are not to be used for target practice.

Friends don't let friends massacre civilians, Jim.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 09.16.10 9:30am

I have said this before but no one responded. I was tired while playing the game most of the time. It seems like the fire/glow flies just sort of appear out of nowhere? I can remember two sets of them in sector 3 and one group in sector 2. I can not figure out where they came from or why they appeared in the first place. They do not seem to do much although I have not messed with them much? I was really tired while playing so maybe I just noticed them when I was going back over certain areas? To me it seems they were there after I got an item in that area... o_O
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 09.16.10 11:03am

If Samus weren't so busy monologuing, she'd have caught James leaving the loader and we would've had the Deleter subplot tied up in a neat little bow before it even got started. Alternatively, he didn't leave until Samus had gone off to Sector 3. Meaning she's an idiot.

No, I just played that part last night and paid attention. It shows the empty cockpit of the loader BEFORE Samus goes into the lift.

Regarding bathrooms: Yes, there is an interesting statement here. Is Samus not allowed to enter the men's bathrooms because she is a woman? Or because they are locked? I also find it hilarious that there is the Accel upgrade in the restroom. Can you say 'laxative'? :awesome:

The dead scientist in the command center was probably killed by the purple guy; there's no indication that Choogle left Sector 1. Then again, it might be the usual "green blood is less graphic" (though it is confusing. For the longest time I thought Ganondorf was puking).

Yeah, I wasn't sure about this one. I thought he had been killed by Choogle because that's the only place we see green blood. Maybe all alien slobber looks like that. I don't think red blood would have given this game a higher rating; there are plenty of T games with blood.

Not exactly weird, but for the record, Skulteras are really "Skultetras" and are most likely called Skulteras due to a translation error way back in the good ol' SNES days.

A similar translation error occurs with Geemers in the original Metroid. They're called Zoomers in the manual, but this was a mistranslation. The katakana for JI and TZU are VERY similar.

You can see the purple bugs (Brugs) scattering around when you enter the first women's bathroom.

Yes! The Brugs was a NICE touch. They appear many places. You can also see them coming out from a pile of rubble near the broken lift, and of course there are a LOT crawling around in the hallway leading to the command center. These were REALLY nice touches.

Speaking of, you can hear Lyle setting off explosive charges on your way to the command center.

Also - the man-eating plants eat Rios. Snacktime!
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Plas Durock

Omega Metroid

Postby Plas Durock » 09.16.10 11:30am

Cap I think you meant Rhedogian was based off of that Anomalocaris thing. Debrachians are the beetles iirc.
Samus - She's the only woman I'll ever love.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.16.10 11:41am

Plas Durock wrote:Cap I think you meant Rhedogian was based off of that Anomalocaris thing. Debrachians are the beetles iirc.

And these guys are clearly based off of horseshoe crabs. I loved pulling them out of their "shells" though... really satisfying.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,100 unique artworks and still growing!

Plas Durock

Omega Metroid

Postby Plas Durock » 09.16.10 11:54am

AAAh! Those things, my first time playing other M I died so many times. At first I assumed bombs would stop it in it's tracks, but now I just rip its wormy body right out. You're right it's so satisfying! Almost reminds me of that topic on the prime boards about the wormy looking space pirates.

First time I ripped the worm out I thought "Did Samus just rip it's the head off?"
Samus - She's the only woman I'll ever love.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.16.10 12:06pm

CRtheMighty wrote:
mental wrote:
I'm not the most reliable source, since I live in bloody Maternity Valley, but they're everywhere. Chicks have nice bathrooms. Which ends up making the thought of a nursing lounge on a bioweapon space station a little less ridiculous.
Nursing lounges in the womens' bathrooms would also fit with the rest of the game. Metroid: Other M (MOM). "Other M" (an anagram of "Mother"). "The Baby". "Baby's Cry" (the distress signal). The "Bottle Ship" (shaped like a giant baby's bottle). I could keep going, but I probably don't need to... they don't really let you forget that Samus Is A Woman or that (because she's a woman with a ticking biological clock?) everything revolves around motherhood for her. :/

Next

Return to Metroid: Other M