Awesome beams!

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!

Moderator: Moderators

supermetroid108

Egg

Awesome beams!

Postby supermetroid108 » 04.06.11 3:52pm

:metroid: If you could invent a metroid prime beam, what would it be called, look like and fire?
I am asking this as I am curious to find out how other people think about metroid. :X:
The only ones I came up with are: Solar beam ( works best in light ), the phasma beam ( a more paranormal beam named after phasmaphobia ( fear of ghosts )) and the fission colider beam ( changes affect depending on the environment thus being an essential weapon ). :awesome:

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Re: Awesome beams!

Postby Balkoth » 04.07.11 7:44am

How about a beam which douses enemies in delicious maple syrup so Samus can eat them alive?

These things are filled with protein, you know!
When somebody tells me he doesn't believe in violence, I punch him in the face to inform him of its existence.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 04.10.11 7:47pm

Petra Beam: It instantly petrifies Samus' targets. Works similarly to the Ice and Dark Beam in functionality. ;D

AngusRidley

Metroid

Postby AngusRidley » 04.12.11 9:37pm

Lava Beam- Can cut thru anything. Even (nar)walls :P.
Give a hoot. Save Ridley. Join the RCPA(Ridley cruelty protection agency) :P

HYRUL3

SA-X

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.12.11 10:45pm

Something similar to the Judicator but more awesome. That bounces off surfaces and can kill multiple targets or bounce around obstacles if aimed strategically.

Second, a beam that makes it so that gravity basically... turns off in its radius. Enemies hit by it would suddenly fly up into the air... only to fall back, often times at lethal heights, when the effect wears off. It would work well against certain enemies, but not against others. Samus could also use this beam to reach heights that she can't normally.

Another would do the opposite, and increase gravity to a specific point by so much that the target can barely move its feet. Again, would have strategic purposes and would be good against some enemies but not so much against others.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

DEEPFREEZE

Hatchling

Postby DEEPFREEZE » 04.12.11 10:59pm

HYRUL3 wrote:Something similar to the Judicator but more awesome. That bounces off surfaces and can kill multiple targets or bounce around obstacles if aimed strategically.

Second, a beam that makes it so that gravity basically... turns off in its radius. Enemies hit by it would suddenly fly up into the air... only to fall back, often times at lethal heights, when the effect wears off. It would work well against certain enemies, but not against others. Samus could also use this beam to reach heights that she can't normally.

Another would do the opposite, and increase gravity to a specific point by so much that the target can barely move its feet. Again, would have strategic purposes and would be good against some enemies but not so much against others.

:thumbsup: that sounds awesome!
a beam i would create is a wavy purple beam that lets you control your opponents once it hits them. like windwaker except you can use this on almost everything. imagine the cool puzzles that would come out of that!:) control an enemy with a specific weapon to open a door. or enemies and bosses that can only be defeated with the weapon or attack of a specific enemy.
"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 04.13.11 5:39pm

HYRUL3 wrote:Something similar to the Judicator but more awesome. That bounces off surfaces and can kill multiple targets or bounce around obstacles if aimed strategically.

I thought about making a beam that bounces off of walls. I called it the Gamma Beam, and my inspiration of it was from Duke Nukem: Zero Hour. The game had a weapon that shot purple orbs or whatever that bounced off of walls. I always thought it would be cool.

I have a lot of beam ideas that I really would like to see. The Petra Beam is one of them, which is pretty old, back in the day when Metroid Prime was released. If they weren't going to have an Ice Beam, the Petra Beam could be used. I also had an idea of a Pulse Beam, based off of the pulse cannon in Phazon Mines, and a Super Charge Beam, which would become stronger and fire out a constant stream.

HYRUL3 wrote:Second, a beam that makes it so that gravity basically... turns off in its radius. Enemies hit by it would suddenly fly up into the air... only to fall back, often times at lethal heights, when the effect wears off. It would work well against certain enemies, but not against others. Samus could also use this beam to reach heights that she can't normally.

Sounds like the Gravity Gun. They had a gun like this in one of the Turok games for the GameCube, but you could fire a beam and throw the enemy high up into the air, and the enemy would drop back down and die.

HYRUL3

SA-X

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.13.11 6:25pm

Huh. I've never played a Turok game, but that sounds just like what I meant.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Twilight-kun

Alpha Metroid

Postby Twilight-kun » 04.16.11 1:34pm

a mixture of the Plasma and Spazer beams
Troid wrote:I have nothing further to say. Except...

<3 <---Look, a cute Metroid! *runs away*

FacelessGriffin

Zeta Metroid

Postby FacelessGriffin » 04.17.11 2:22pm

A beam that shoots missiles that explode into beams.

Beams.

DarkMetroid

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkMetroid » 05.03.11 7:47pm

supermetroid108 wrote: Fission Collider Beam ( changes affect depending on the environment thus being an essential weapon ).

So, you're saying, if I was in, say, Magmoor Caverns, this beam would change into lava? But, the enemies are supposed to be used to the enviorement, so they would be fire-resistant. So let's fight fire-with-fire.
What is "Fission Collider", tho?

I don't have any good ideas for other beams, I like the ones we already have.
(But a sniping weapon like the Imperialist I would like)
"Of course, missiles are off-limits." -Samus Aran
"The last Metroid is in captivity, the Galaxy is at peace..." -Dan Owsen
"Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not target practice." -Space Pirate Logs

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 05.05.11 8:06pm

Imagine the ice beam but with a plasma-beam-like effect. If shot in water, a pillar of ice forms which then rises to the surface. Now if you hit and enemy underwater, it too will rise to the surface along with the pillar of ice it's encased in.
Yay physics.

Malkovich Beam. Forbids the last attack the victim made. :awesome:

DarkMetroid

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkMetroid » 05.05.11 10:02pm

Remnants wrote:Malkovich Beam. Forbids the last attack the victim made. :awesome:

Genius. I think.

The Plasma & Ice beam configuration sounds interesting; maybe there should be a way to combine beams (Not Stack up) ?
"Of course, missiles are off-limits." -Samus Aran
"The last Metroid is in captivity, the Galaxy is at peace..." -Dan Owsen
"Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not target practice." -Space Pirate Logs

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 05.05.11 11:54pm

Speaking of beams, where does Samus pull all the energy for her beam weapons?
I can understand if someone sys she keeps all of those missiles in some kind of pocket dimension that materialize in her arm cannon when needed but where does she get all the energy to shoot beams? And why can't she use that energy to recharge her shielding?

Jesse D

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Jesse D » 05.06.11 11:06am

Remnants wrote:Speaking of beams, where does Samus pull all the energy for her beam weapons?

Probably in those big honkin' shoulders. :cool:
-Jesse DImage

Next

Return to Metroid Prime