Metroid other M story plot discussion

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!

Moderator: Moderators

FacelessGriffin

Zeta Metroid

Re: Metroid other M story plot discussion

Postby FacelessGriffin » 07.09.11 10:28am

Zeroº wrote:Samus Aran is the equivalent of Clark Kent wearing only his Superman outfit to the Daily Planet on a daily basis and then complaining about how people are treating him differently.

If anybody needs to learn a lesson about subtlety, it's Samus Aran.

Somehow, I can't help but to think of this:

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 07.09.11 11:13pm

Does anyone know what kind of psychological trauma someone can suffer by having their parents killed in front of them? I'm really curious. For some reason multiple personalities comes to mind.

EDIT:
Pardon me for saying this, but Samus in Other M, try as she might...sticks out like a sore thumb. I've been reluctant to put it this way for a while now. But at every turn, subtly or not subtly to us, she sticks out. And I'm not just talking about the woman part, either. To everyone else, she's just a woman, but she knows better. Adam does too, apparently. At least at the end. Anthony...probably does as well, but come on, no one suspects some one that big to be subtle. People just stare at him and go "OH SHIT, YOUR TWELVE FEET TALL!"
Even the strongest of people can have their faith broken. Mine has.

Hawk's Eye

Kraid

Postby Hawk's Eye » 07.10.11 6:03am

Mental Disorder.net wrote:Generally, multiple personality disorder is triggered by childhood trauma, often physical or sexual abuse or both. Often, the memory of the abuse has been suppressed and must be recovered through psychotherapy. This comes with its own dangers; recently, it’s been shown that psychotherapists, without realizing it, can lead a person to invent “suppressed” memories, and these cases have led to irreparable harm to innocent people who are accused of child abuse by the children and relatives they love.

Watch Sybil. I took a phsychology class this year and I remember there was a section in a chapter that talked about "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD". Now i know this is brought up a gazillion times but i have reasoning behind it. When i read the small chunk in the seciton about it, I was reminded of the "Dreaded Ridley Cutscene" because it talked about how even when something *offhand* is happening, one can relieve the situation. They actually think they are there all over again and it's happening. Things that have to do with the situation (IE Ridley) Can really make you relive it. It mentioned how the event can be years old and you can still relive it/have other symptoms of PTSD. And thats kind of what makes PTSD, PTSD; having the whole relive/numb/depression thing happen long after or weeks after or days or hours. Click this link for a good definition of PTSD

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/what-is-ptsd.asp

I realize up there I put "sexual and physical abuse" in bold and if you read the link it says PTSD can be triggered by rape/sexual abuse. The difference is that PTSD comes in part WITH MPD and MPD is specifically characterized by Sexual Abuse.

So, King Broly, unless you're one of those weirdos out there that think Ridley somehow rapred Samus when she was 3 (there are freaks that think that) I don't think that MPD is an option

I also agree that Samus kind of...does stick out in Other M. And i'm talking about her ass. Her ass is friggin huge and bubbly the entire time. I want her to look like she did in Brawl :'( Also, i think that statistic that shes "6' 3" and 190 some lbs" is BS because they say she's 190 w/out the suit. yeah muscle weighs a lot but not THAT much. If its with the suit, i believe it. And for that height, she could be that tale. But Anthony and Adam look no more than maybe 6'5" and 6'6" Heck Anthony is about the same height as Adam and neither are really that much taller than her.
R7038 XX wrote: :adam: "erotic jokes not authorized"

Chris

Metroid Queen

Postby Chris » 07.10.11 8:19am

The Hawk's Eye wrote:But Anthony and Adam look no more than maybe 6'5" and 6'6" Heck Anthony is about the same height as Adam and neither are really that much taller than her.

Anothony is about a foot taller Samus, watch the ending clip again and see, more so when she's out of her suit at the very end.

Angel of fire

Gamma Metroid

Postby Angel of fire » 07.10.11 9:31am

Is it bad if I "forgot" some of the things that happened in Other M? What is this Ridley Scene you all are so upset about?

Personally, I think Samus was not at her prime for that mission. She meets Adam again, Ridley comes from no were, Mother Brain may be controlling a whole group of nasty creatures on a ship the shape of a bottle, all these things.

Even that is a weak excuse however. The universe's most feared bounty hunter is thrown off her game by a little change? Yeah, not buying it. While those Other M scenes are playing, I will be thinking of those fond times in Prime and Super where I can kill Ridley without a care in the world.
MZM Hard mode 15% status: Complete

HYRUL3

SA-X

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.10.11 10:46am

What is this Ridley Scene you all are so upset about?

where I can kill Ridley without a care in the world.

You answered your own question. Think about it.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Angel of fire

Gamma Metroid

Postby Angel of fire » 07.10.11 11:53am

HYRUL3 wrote:
What is this Ridley Scene you all are so upset about?

where I can kill Ridley without a care in the world.

You answered your own question. Think about it.

Should have put a /sarcasm there.
MZM Hard mode 15% status: Complete

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 07.10.11 1:48pm

The Hawk's Eye wrote:
Mental Disorder.net wrote:Generally, multiple personality disorder is triggered by childhood trauma, often physical or sexual abuse or both. Often, the memory of the abuse has been suppressed and must be recovered through psychotherapy. This comes with its own dangers; recently, it’s been shown that psychotherapists, without realizing it, can lead a person to invent “suppressed” memories, and these cases have led to irreparable harm to innocent people who are accused of child abuse by the children and relatives they love.

Watch Sybil. I took a phsychology class this year and I remember there was a section in a chapter that talked about "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD". Now i know this is brought up a gazillion times but i have reasoning behind it. When i read the small chunk in the seciton about it, I was reminded of the "Dreaded Ridley Cutscene" because it talked about how even when something *offhand* is happening, one can relieve the situation. They actually think they are there all over again and it's happening. Things that have to do with the situation (IE Ridley) Can really make you relive it. It mentioned how the event can be years old and you can still relive it/have other symptoms of PTSD. And thats kind of what makes PTSD, PTSD; having the whole relive/numb/depression thing happen long after or weeks after or days or hours. Click this link for a good definition of PTSD

I realize up there I put "sexual and physical abuse" in bold and if you read the link it says PTSD can be triggered by rape/sexual abuse. The difference is that PTSD comes in part WITH MPD and MPD is specifically characterized by Sexual Abuse.

So, King Broly, unless you're one of those weirdos out there that think Ridley somehow rapred Samus when she was 3 (there are freaks that think that) I don't think that MPD is an option

I also agree that Samus kind of...does stick out in Other M. And i'm talking about her ass. Her ass is friggin huge and bubbly the entire time. I want her to look like she did in Brawl :'( Also, i think that statistic that shes "6' 3" and 190 some lbs" is BS because they say she's 190 w/out the suit. yeah muscle weighs a lot but not THAT much. If its with the suit, i believe it. And for that height, she could be that tale. But Anthony and Adam look no more than maybe 6'5" and 6'6" Heck Anthony is about the same height as Adam and neither are really that much taller than her.

No, I wasn't even thinking that and I'm probably a worse person for knowing that some people think that. I was thinking about the whole notion of psychological trauma and how something like Ridley eating Samus' parents in front of her, and possibly even the death of the Chozo in front of her (if such a thing happened) could affect her, possibly causing emotional detachment and multiple personas. Although maybe the Chozo put her through very intensive physical and mental training which caused a psychological split in the way she acts.

Basically, my thinking was Sakamoto could basically say that Samus is a player avatar in the sense that she has multiple personalities, given to her by us, the player. It could also allow some creative freedom down the line with Samus' character in terms of characterizations, if they were to do such a thing.

In regards to Samus sticking out, I get the sense that she never belonged in the GF or on the Bottle Ship. While she is trying to fit in, it just doesn't suit her. It's an awkward game with an awkward feeling because she shouldn't really be there.

Caleb89sw

Metroid

Postby Caleb89sw » 07.10.11 3:34pm

KingBroly wrote:
The Hawk's Eye wrote:

No, I wasn't even thinking that and I'm probably a worse person for knowing that some people think that. I was thinking about the whole notion of psychological trauma and how something like Ridley eating Samus' parents in front of her, and possibly even the death of the Chozo in front of her (if such a thing happened) could affect her, possibly causing emotional detachment and multiple personas. Although maybe the Chozo put her through very intensive physical and mental training which caused a psychological split in the way she acts.

Basically, my thinking was Sakamoto could basically say that Samus is a player avatar in the sense that she has multiple personalities, given to her by us, the player. It could also allow some creative freedom down the line with Samus' character in terms of characterizations, if they were to do such a thing.

In regards to Samus sticking out, I get the sense that she never belonged in the GF or on the Bottle Ship. While she is trying to fit in, it just doesn't suit her. It's an awkward game with an awkward feeling because she shouldn't really be there.

I agree with her having multiple personalities. I always thought she had two major personalities. One as a stone cold, confident, almost cocky side as seen in the prime games and the smash bros. games. But suppressed underneath that is her second personality which is more younger, more fragile and more vulnerable as seen in parts of the manga and Other M. In the next game, I'd like them to explore more of the first personality and try fleshing that out.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 07.10.11 4:00pm

I think what you're talking about there is "duality," not multiple personalities. Most people have dualities: one, the side you show other people; the other, the side you keep to yourself, or show only to certain people. The division between the two varies. I imagine people with bipolar have more trouble controlling their duality than most; but I'm just speculating there.

I haven't gotten into psychology too much yet, but I believe that's what that is. <3
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 07.10.11 6:01pm

Well yeah, but I mean is take a dual personality into consideration when you add in the Chicken Complex. You essentially should get something like Superman crossed with Batman. Unfathomable powers crossed with a path that is tragic. You also have to take into account the unnatural upbringing Samus had, and that, while having Samus try to act normal, would result in something artificial. While it is "really her" it's more like Clark Kent, Samus' view of the world at large. Something to draw attention away from herself as some big hero.

As a "Human," Samus fails spectacularly at it because she's not. But she's not really trying to be human. She's just using it as something to hide who she is, her past, her beliefs, etc.

This is an Alien:
:zss:

This is a Predator:
:ridley:

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 07.10.11 8:47pm

Any of you ever read Stranger in a Strange Land? Granted that whole story is a Christ analogy, but the first part is relevant, I think.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 07.10.11 8:51pm

No. A summary, please.

Hawk's Eye

Kraid

Postby Hawk's Eye » 07.10.11 9:35pm

LesserChozo wrote:I think what you're talking about there is "duality," not multiple personalities. Most people have dualities: one, the side you show other people; the other, the side you keep to yourself, or show only to certain people. The division between the two varies. I imagine people with bipolar have more trouble controlling their duality than most; but I'm just speculating there.

I haven't gotten into psychology too much yet, but I believe that's what that is. <3

This!!!! Even *I* have a personality that i hide from everyone!!! The one that people around me see is generally quiet and dislikes conversation and refrains from showing any emotion. But when I'm around the people that care about me, I'm much different; random, i cry if i need to, i talk and talk and talk as though to make up for not talking with others.

KingBroly wrote:As a "Human," Samus fails spectacularly at it because she's not. But she's not really trying to be human. She's just using it as something to hide who she is, her past, her beliefs, etc.

Ok so do *I* fail as a human too? Because I think thats really asswipey to be all "Samus isnt human and she's not trying." I'm not really trying to be "human" either. I'm just functioning daily like I always do. So how is routine and hiding emotions from others not human?

On the same note as myself, when Samus is by herself and around people she doesn't really know/dont care about her as much, she's quiet and we see her as "badass" and "loner-like". I'm the same way with the popular kids at school. But when i get around people i know/i'm comfortable with I get talkative and i embrace my emotions more. So how is not the same for Samus because she's around Anthony and Adam again. She just sort of doesn't feel the need to keep that, almost, Superman persona for the public anymore because Adam and Anthony are there (they don't care if she's Superman or something else because they already have respect for her) and she becomes herself/lets the supressed side out.

On that same thing, why are people upset about Samus craving a little approval from Adam/wondering what he thinks of her and all. Hasn't anyone ever been mad at someone else and then when they finally aren't mad they go "I wonder what that looked like to them? I wonder how *I* look like to them? Wow what I said/did was really stupid.." I do that all the time after I calm down from being mad and I think Samus AND Adam did. Just throwing that out there.

@Chris: He's at least a head taller I suppose. But they aren't giants. And if you watch where Anthony is shocked aboutAdams decision with Ian, they're about the same height.

EDIT: Angel of fire, Your avatar is Slenderman isnt it......?
R7038 XX wrote: :adam: "erotic jokes not authorized"

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 07.10.11 10:00pm

No, what I'm trying to say is that while Samus is trying to put on a show for the cameras that she's Good Little Miss Two Shoes, she's not doing a very good job at it. If she was the "stupid anime girl" she'd...

- Give a thumbs up at every mission because she'd be too dumb to realize it was derogatory
- That picture of Ian flirting with her would respond with her flirting back instead of being confused (like the Gallery says, which contradicts what we're told in-game, giving the impression they might be an item)
- She wouldn't try to save Ian, she'd just stand there and say 'aye aye, Captain,' instead she is the only one to raise an "Objection"
- Wouldn't wear her Zero Suit or Power Suit. As much as it's ingrained to us that these things exist, to us they're normal, but to the Universe they are not. They stick out. If she always followed the rules, she wouldn't wear them at all.

So with that in mind, I'd like to ask that Samus come clean already.

I also think that this might have some roll to play in the whole 'why she's following orders' and 'Ridley thing' but I couldn't give you a definitive reason as to when it starts. But I could just as easily say 'bitch had it coming.'

Also, the reason why Anthony is so much taller there is because of the gallery shot, which refers to it as overkill I believe. Samus and Adam are actually about the same height, although Samus is never really standing up straight long enough to give a good comparison.

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid: Other M