Awesome beams!

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!

Moderator: Moderators

HYRUL3

SA-X

Re: Awesome beams!

Postby HYRUL3 » 05.10.11 11:40pm

DarkMetroid wrote:Sounds like an Influence beam.
Or Brainwaves Beam.

Or even Mother Brain beam

Jedi Mind Trick Beam

Fixed that for you
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Twilight-kun

Alpha Metroid

Postby Twilight-kun » 05.11.11 9:21am

Jedi Mind Trick Beam: Who needs the Force?
Troid wrote:I have nothing further to say. Except...

<3 <---Look, a cute Metroid! *runs away*

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 05.13.11 12:15am

DarkMetroid wrote:I was especially interesed in the Particle Beam.

I think they tried that with Metroid Prime Hunters. Neutrinos don't hurt you, and they travel around light speed. Of course, they're described as "high density neutrinos." A particle beam would travel near light speed as well, and if I recall correctly, the further it went, the more force it had.

DarkMetroid wrote:Also, the Super Charge Beam, would it be like the WaveBuster or Flamethrower from Metroid Prime?

I'm not sure, really. I just liked the idea of a constant beam firing out.

Twilight-kun

Alpha Metroid

Postby Twilight-kun » 05.13.11 9:22am

Dryn wrote:
DarkMetroid wrote:Also, the Super Charge Beam, would it be like the WaveBuster or Flamethrower from Metroid Prime?

Like the Charged Hyper Beam in Corruption?
Troid wrote:I have nothing further to say. Except...

<3 <---Look, a cute Metroid! *runs away*

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 05.14.11 1:27am

Twilight-kun wrote:
Dryn wrote:

Like the Charged Hyper Beam in Corruption?

Something like that, I suppose.

Cloud845

Metroid

Postby Cloud845 » 07.15.11 2:23pm

[/quote]Charged Ice/Wave/Plasma is a VERY potent Beam combo in any game really...would be nice to have it in real life
(although Plasma is heat and Ice is Ice, so I'm not sure how that would work)[/quote]

The ice probably would hit them, encasing them in ice, the plasma would melt them before it reached the shatter point, and leave them covered in water, which the wave beam would use as a shock zone for a taser like effect.

Also, as evidenced by the power beam charge's lines of power, it may draw in matter and convert it to energy, so that could be a possible power source.
"Screw breaking Prime wide open. We've just given it a damn autopsy"

SheepCannon

Hatchling

Postby SheepCannon » 08.08.11 7:26pm

Waste beam: Covers her enemies in her waste. She's got Chozo DNA so her pee is probably like acid. Her poo might explode.
Emperor Ing wrote:Kraid is too busy smackin' dem bitches to the curb to worry about dat Samus shit.

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 09.05.11 1:33am

Pulse Beam.

This light blue Beam does the same amount of damage as the Power Beam...at close range! This Beam accelerates as it travels, gaining speed at a rate directly proportional to its time in flight, thus causing greater damage and becoming harder to dodge. It has no special attributes other than this acceleration, making it basically an upgraded Power Beam. This Beam, when charged, will cause Samus to fire it like a normal Charge Beam (with the acceleration of course). However, if there is an enemy in close enough range of her, Samus will perform an additional lunge forward, punching said enemy with her Arm Cannon. (Like the Lunge ability of Master Chief's Energy Sword in Halo 2.) The force of the blow, and the Charge Beam blast, will send the enemy flying, where he will disintegrate himself and any enemies/crates/destructible objects on impact with whatever is behind him.

Charge Combo: Pulse Missile. Basically a BFG 9000 blast fired/guided like a Super Missile. It hits its enemy, and explodes into a shower of Pulse Beam shots that rapidly accelerate in a sphere from the blast site.

Force Beam.

Its normal shot fires a green force field that widens out two-dimensionally as it progresses, dealing less and less damage until it finally dissipates. However, the further you charge it, the narrower the field will be, and thus the longer range and higher damage it will be, but the less area it will cover. At full charge, it acts like the Plasma Beam found in the 2D Metroids, piercing enemies and traveling at a high velocity. This weapon is renowned for its ridiculous stopping power, the force field has been experimentally proven to stop any object traveling at or below the speed of sound dead in its tracks. This includes pistol rounds, animals, anything.

Charge Combo: Implosion Missile. A Super Missile that does not explode on contact. Instead, it drags a force field behind it. When it hits its enemy, the force field will wrap the target in a sphere. This spherical force field will then implode in a manner of seconds, crushing anything trapped within.

Scooper Beam.

This isn't a gun. It does not have any normal shot, nor is it capable of generating its own ammunition. Instead, it utilizes the enemy's own weapon against it. Charge up this beam to create a telekinetic field just ahead of Samus. This field, while active, will intercept any object or energy fired at Samus (up to a certain point) and hold it in the place it struck the field. Release the Charge, and the wall of intercepted whatever will be thrown in a wall in the direction Samus faces. These projectiles will cause enemies 3/4 the damage of what they would have if they had been fired normally. Note that certain high-speed attacks cannot be intercepted by the field as it is much too weak, and explosives on a timer or remotely detonated will still be subject to their timer/remote while trapped in the field. Also note that there is an upper limit to how much the field can hold. A version of this was featured in District 9, and Gordon Freeman's Gravity Gun is a stronger version of this weapon.

Bomb Launcher.

I remember our user The Black Cat suggesting something similar. He called it the "Mortar" I think. Anyway, this Beam throws Bombs at enemies. The Bombs travel in an arc and are subject to gravity. They are timed-detonation, and bounce off walls but stick to enemies. Enemies with Bombs stuck to them are affected in a similar manner as if Samus had punched them with her charged Pulse Beam. Samus herself can use these in a standing Bomb Jump akin to a Quake style Rocket Jump. Charging this launcher increases the force which the Bomb is launched, and thus its travel distance, but this does not affect the damage the Bomb will inflict on its enemies.

Charge Combo: Power Bomb Launcher. Travels in the same kind of arc as a fully-charged Bomb Launcher, but at the expense of 1 Power Bomb and 5 Missiles, launches a Power Bomb.

Shatterpoint Beam.

Inspired by Mace Windu's "Shatterpoint" ability granted to him by the Force, this purple Beam is a Power Beam with a slight harmonic effect. Its normal shot has a low resonant frequency and will thus lend less vibration to the object being shot at. By Charging the Beam, Samus can increase the frequency of the vibrations, though the shot will still cause normal damage. The exception is against certain enemies and doors. The reticule of the Shatterpoint Beam has a bar that fills up to indicate the resonant frequency of the shot it fires. If she locks onto an enemy that she has previously scanned beforehand, one of two things can happen.

One: The enemy is not susceptible to resonant attack. Deal with him through other means.
Two: The enemy is susceptible to resonant attack and has a resonant frequency that can be exploited. This is where the true power of the Shatterpoint resides. If Samus locks onto any of this type enemy with Shatterpoint Beam active, a tick mark will appear on the Shatterpoint Reticule Bar. Charge the Shatterpoint TO THAT LEVEL and fire. If the frequency is correct (within a reasonable margin) and it connects, BOOM instant kill.

This only works for certain enemies, some parts of bosses, and some doors and puzzles too.

Charge Combo: Disintegrator Missile. Causes everything within its Power Bomb-like blast radius to vibrate with such force as to disintegrate.

And finally: Super Beam.

This is the Power Beam upscaled by a factor of 5. Every normal shot is a Charge shot, every Charge shot is a Super Missile (unguided in this version of course, but does not consume Missiles), and of course it has a Charge Combo.

Charge Combo: Super Mega Ultra Hyper Over 9000 Missile. Consumes 25 Missiles and a full charge of the Super Beam. Results in a gigantic mushroom cloud and earthquakes up to three miles away. The fireball and ash cloud will douse a mile radius in hell and fire. Use this wisely.
Samus Aran wrote:Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

YamI

Metroid Queen

Postby YamI » 09.05.11 1:40am

Superamazingideaman, Thunderchin wrote:And finally: Super Beam.

This is the Power Beam upscaled by a factor of 5. Every normal shot is a Charge shot, every Charge shot is a Super Missile (unguided in this version of course, but does not consume Missiles), and of course it has a Charge Combo.

Charge Combo: Super Mega Ultra Hyper Over 9000 Missile. Consumes 25 Missiles and a full charge of the Super Beam. Results in a gigantic mushroom cloud and earthquakes up to three miles away. The fireball and ash cloud will douse a mile radius in hell and fire. Use this wisely.

I want this. This would be good. I would waste 25 just to see that explosion.Then I would drool and be like - 8B - Please, Ask Nintendo to put this beam in the next Metroid game, most likely, Dread. <3

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 09.05.11 2:00am

InoFan1385 wrote:
Superamazingideaman, Thunderchin wrote:And finally: Super Beam.

I want this. This would be good. I would waste 25 just to see that explosion.Then I would drool and be like - 8B - Please, Ask Nintendo to put this beam in the next Metroid game, most likely, Dread. <3
The original name was the Nagasaki Missile, but given the Japanese origin of Nintendo, I don't think they'd go so well for that kind of reference.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that Samus herself, if she is caught in this blast, will either have 15 Energy Tanks' worth of health taken away, or be taken to 01 Energy, whichever is less.

More Beam ideas!

Impaler Beam.

This is a sniper weapon that fires high-velocity rounds akin to the Railgun in Duke Nukem Forever, it pierces enemies clean through. This Beam is auto-charged, and runs off a limited set of batteries. A normal shot will drain exactly half the remaining power of the batteries. If fired from 200% charge, the Beam will fire a fully-powered shot and drain 100% of the Batteries. Another shot immediately afterward will drain it from 100% to 50%, firing a blast that is half as powerful. And another would be half as powerful. Leave the gun alone, however, and it will auto-charge its batteries back to 200%. A Charge Shot will charge up the shot, the duration of the Charge will determine the amount of Battery used in the shot, and thus the speed and damage of the shot. Manual Charging will not interrupt the auto recharge, allowing Samus to gain up to 200% Energy with a Charge Shot. Note that Batteries max out at 200%.

Sapper Beam.

No Charge function, cannot damage enemies, short range. Knocks out machines.

EXAMPLE OF USE:
Samus: *uses this Beam on Space Pirate sentry gun*
Space Pirate Engineer: SAMUS SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY!!!

"Sasha" Beam.

This Beam weighs 150 kilograms and fires $200 custom tooled cartridges at 10,000 rounds a minute. It costs $400,000 to fire this weapon for 12 seconds.

Samus' Notes: Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe. *sniff* Maybe. I have yet to meet one who can outsmart bullet.

Medibeam.

Heals Samus' allies. The more it is used, the more energy it builds up within Samus' Arm Cannon. After this is fully built-up, she can use her Medibeam to vent this energy into an ally to render them temporarily invincible as well as übercharge their weapons.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 09.13.11 4:31pm

Thunderchin wrote:Pulse Beam.

This light blue Beam does the same amount of damage as the Power Beam...at close range! This Beam accelerates as it travels, gaining speed at a rate directly proportional to its time in flight, thus causing greater damage and becoming harder to dodge. It has no special attributes other than this acceleration, making it basically an upgraded Power Beam. This Beam, when charged, will cause Samus to fire it like a normal Charge Beam (with the acceleration of course). However, if there is an enemy in close enough range of her, Samus will perform an additional lunge forward, punching said enemy with her Arm Cannon. (Like the Lunge ability of Master Chief's Energy Sword in Halo 2.) The force of the blow, and the Charge Beam blast, will send the enemy flying, where he will disintegrate himself and any enemies/crates/destructible objects on impact with whatever is behind him.

Um, I already made the Pulse Beam, and repeated it again.

Dryn wrote:Pulse Beam
The Pulse Beam is based off the pulse cannon in Phazon Mines. Its start-up is delayed, but it fires a powerful beam. By delayed start-up, I mean that it's auto-charged.

Strangely, Sunshadow's "Pulser Beam" (did he mean pulsar?) is blue.

Sunshadow wrote:-Pulser beam-
An upgrade to the power beam, changes color to blue more powerful shots, It takes longer to charge but full charged sends enemies flying.

Also, since Samus never had this weapon, I decided I'd make up the Particle Beam for her, which seems to be how you defined your Pulse Beam. That is, a particle beam becomes more powerful the farther it travels.

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 09.13.11 9:02pm

Dryn wrote:
Thunderchin wrote:Pulse Beam.

Um, I already made the Pulse Beam, and repeated it again.

Dryn wrote:Pulse Beam
The Pulse Beam is based off the pulse cannon in Phazon Mines. Its start-up is delayed, but it fires a powerful beam. By delayed start-up, I mean that it's auto-charged.

Strangely, Sunshadow's "Pulser Beam" (did he mean pulsar?) is blue.

Sunshadow wrote:-Pulser beam-
An upgrade to the power beam, changes color to blue more powerful shots, It takes longer to charge but full charged sends enemies flying.

Also, since Samus never had this weapon, I decided I'd make up the Particle Beam for her, which seems to be how you defined your Pulse Beam. That is, a particle beam becomes more powerful the farther it travels.
Wow...Great minds really DO think alike. Are you accusing me of plagiarism, Dryn? Me no like it when coincidences are considered plagiarism. I came up with all of that myself. And nowhere do I see accelerating as it travels, anywhere in those posts you quoted. There may be another mention of that, I don't know. It was all a coincidence, and it is merely my implementation of MY thoughts. If you don't appreciate that, just say so right now so I can get off this thread and take my ramblings elsewhere.

----------

This is the precursor to a recent idea which I am waiting to deploy. A "Beam Suit" if you will. It's a Beam not fired from the Arm Cannon.

Tesla Suit: Samus' suit is electrically charged. In "Taser" mode, it remains passive. It regenerates its electrical charge, and only shocks enemies that directly touch the Suit. This shock is weak, can OHKO any weak enemy and drains minimal charge as it does so. In "Spark" mode, the electrical activity dramatically increases. It constantly burns out of the electrical charge while in this mode, shocking any enemy in a meter radius with strong bolts of electricity. As in, these will three-hit KO a normal Space Pirate. These will also conduct through any conductive surface, affecting any system or enemy behind metallic cover. Samus gains an added resistance to electrical attack during this as well. Her wake during Speed Boosts and Screw Attacks is electrically charged.
Samus can stand on power lines to recharge the Tesla batteries. If the Tesla batteries are full, Samus' health will begin recharging. The Tesla batteries double as Reserve Tanks.

DAMAGE RESISTANCES:
In Taser Mode: 50% additional damage resistance to all forms of attack. 70% damage resistance to electrical attacks and hazards.
In Spark Mode: 60% additional damage resistance to all forms of attack. 90% damage resistance to electricity. That 90% goes straight to the Batteries.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 09.13.11 9:54pm

Thunderchin wrote:Wow...Great minds really DO think alike. Are you accusing me of plagiarism, Dryn? Me no like it when coincidences are considered plagiarism. I came up with all of that myself. And nowhere do I see accelerating as it travels, anywhere in those posts you quoted. There may be another mention of that, I don't know. It was all a coincidence, and it is merely my implementation of MY thoughts. If you don't appreciate that, just say so right now so I can get off this thread and take my ramblings elsewhere.

I think that maybe you had read some posts and subconsciously picked up a few things. That's all. I noticed that my post of the Pulse Beam as you as the next poster. It happens to everyone. For example, last night I was thinking about making a new beam called "Solar Beam." This was going to be a solar weapon, just as there are plasma weapons, sonic weapons, laser weapons, &c.

This idea stemmed from the fact that in MPT, Samus' beams are mostly elemental. Plasma represents fire, Wave represents electricity, Ice represents ice, Light and light, Dark and dark. Then there are some strange kinds like the Annihilator Beam and Nova Beam. Anyway, the Solar Beam would draw in solar energy and use that energy as a weapon. I didn't go with it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to use "Solar Beam" as the name of the new upgrade.

Around noontime I went back and was reading the previous upgrades people made, and someone had "Solar Cannon," which was exactly the idea I was thinking about last night. Of course, this was used jokingly by the person who was making the weapon. Then there's the Microwave Beam, which RoyboyX mentioned, but he made a different thread called by the name and joked that the beam would shoot microwaves, the kind of heating oven, and not actual microwaves.

I was debating about whether or not I should call the beam "Solar Beam" or "Microwave Beam" because a solar weapon would draw in the solar energy and fire out microwaves. I ended up not making the beam upgrade because I couldn't come up with a name for it. This would be great, of course, because you have lasers, which fire light, and sasers, which fire sound. But as far as I am aware, Samus does not have a maser weapon, which would fire microwaves. Also, one of the cool things I wanted to do with this was say it was of Luminoth origin.

As for your Pulse Beam and particle beams, they accelerate, making them very powerful weapons. I know I didn't mention that when I said Samus should have the Particle Beam, but looking up particle beams would inform you of this. I also said that the Shock Coil, I believe it was, seemed to have been a "particle beam" in the Metroid Universe because it travels at near light speed and is high-density, even though I doubt neutrinos has anything to do with particle beams.

Dark Echoes

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dark Echoes » 09.14.11 6:43am

Thunderchin wrote:

I would so abuse that. :geemer: I'll just shoot the Computer when it doesn't work x_x
:mb_power: :mb_varia: :mb_gravity: :mb_phazon:
Join the IRC channel!:
irc://irc.esper.net/mdb

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 09.15.11 11:54pm

DC-17m/AC Cartridge-Based Modular Arm Cannon

Samus' Arm Cannon sprouts a cartridge connector out its left side. Also on the left of the Cannon itself is a total ammo counter, and on each cartridge is a bar that depletes as its energy runs out. Samus has room for twelve cartridges, of three different types.

Standard Cartridge: Holds enough energy for 60 shots. This setting is fully automatic, every individual shot is as powerful as a charged Power Beam.
Max Cartridges: 6.
Max Ammo: 300 shots.

Sniper Cartridge: Holds 5 sniper shots. This weapon fires a physical slug inside a Plasma Beam shot at near-sonic speeds. This will explode as it penetrates, and has a long range. The rate of fire sucks however, as does the limit on ammo.
Max Cartridges: 3.
Max Ammo: 15 shots.

Anti-Armor Cartridge: This baby's Super Missile. This cartridge is equal to ten Charge shots, and consumes 5 Missiles as it is fired. This cartridge only lasts one shot.
Max Cartridges: 3.
Max Ammo: 3 shots.

Thermal Detonation Missiles: Increases the blast radius and damage of Samus' Missiles to 150% the normal. This Missile also lends shrapnel to a blow.

(Yes, I borrowed these from Star Wars: Republic Commando.)

----------

Recursive Charge: Charge a Beam. When it hits something, a scatter of normal shots will zoom out from the hit zone.

Recursive Missile: Charge a Beam and use its Charge Combo. Its impact will cause five Missiles and five Charge shots to scatter from the hit zone.

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid Prime