Nintendo 3DS

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!

Moderator: Moderators

Korunua Akraika

Egg

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Postby Korunua Akraika » 11.29.11 7:05pm

4596 9732 1797 hope we get more! :awesome:
my name is pronounced (Kor-roo-na A-k-re-ka) waiting for a new metroid game that takes place post-Fusion! Still have not played super metroid, or beaten 1 or 2! XP

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.07.11 4:01am

The 3DS firmware upgrade is now available. Takes a long time to download, though. I'll update when it's done.

EDIT: Pretty fun. The 3D video recording is a neat feature, and I'm really enjoying all the new stuff that came with Mii Plaza. It has so many new hats, it seems it wants to compete with Team Fortress 2!
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

kronoridley

Kraid

Postby kronoridley » 12.07.11 6:40am

You can record ten minutes worth of video. Whoopty f*cking d-WHERE THE F*CK ARE MY DEMOS YOU BASTARDS?! THAT WAS THE ONLY FEATURE I GAVE A SH*T ABOUT! In Japan they get a f*cking Monster Hunter 3G demo, and we get jibbed! God!

Okay, I know I'm overracting, but in all seriousness this pisses me off. Well, maybe we WILL get demos, just not yet. I'll wait then.....

And to anyone who is about to mention Nintendo Zone: F*ck you!

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

DrevanZero

Gamma Metroid

Postby DrevanZero » 12.07.11 7:03am

I WANT MY OTHER 10 AMBASSADOR GAMES YOU BASTARDS!
Forget queen metroid, I'M THE KING!
Catherine wrote:Shut up or I will pour a pot of steaming-hot emo on you!!!

Check out my fangame site at: http://metroidrevival.freeforums.org/index.php

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.07.11 8:15am

Man, talk about overreacting.

The first batch of demos is probably coming tomorrow. Remember the eShop updates on Thursdays. We might even get Swapnote already. The update only included the ability to play demos, not the demos themselves. This will probably be a good opportunity to try out the download-while-sleeping feature.

The GBA ambassador games don't have anything to do with the firmware upgrade. We are getting them this year, though.

And here's a neat little overlooked feature: We can now use the 3DS's camera to scan URL QR codes.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

DrevanZero

Gamma Metroid

Postby DrevanZero » 12.07.11 9:47am

i was just making the joke, while voicing many opinions. and i hope that they hurry up and release the games soon. also, who thinks that they should release super metroid on the 3ds? it has all of the buttons needed for the game, and then as long as you are an ambassador, you will be able to have all 4 main story entries on the 3ds. i think that would be awesome :awesome:

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 12.07.11 10:25am

Playing Super Metroid on a handheld never felt right to me for some reason.

Apothem

MDB Staff - Editor

Postby Apothem » 12.07.11 12:08pm

Naner wrote:Man, talk about overreacting.

This is the Internet. Welcome to it.

I'll be more inclined to give a damn when I get my GBA games. Until then, it's still so far just an expensive paper weight. The demo functionality might prove interesting, but Nintendo's always slow with these things. When we do get them, I wouldn't expect for them to be of anything particularly interesting.

Angel of fire

Gamma Metroid

Postby Angel of fire » 12.07.11 12:25pm

While I do play my 3DS for a half an hour at a time now, I know I could spend hours on Warioware alone. Then there's Metroid and Mario. Suffice to say that after we get our ambassador games, the 3DS will be in my pocket all the time.

Also, I would love to play Super Metroid on the 3DS. And as they have said that Super Nintendo games will be downloadable from the eshop, we should be good.
MZM Hard mode 15% status: Complete

DrevanZero

Gamma Metroid

Postby DrevanZero » 12.07.11 1:36pm

They did say they were releasing super nintendo games? i thought they only mentioned gameboy. Cool!

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.07.11 6:34pm

Yeah, 3D Classics: Super Metroid would be amazing. And I believe they did in fact state SNES games could be remade as 3D Classics, so we might get lucky.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Angel of fire

Gamma Metroid

Postby Angel of fire » 12.07.11 7:02pm

MZM Hard mode 15% status: Complete

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 12.07.11 8:44pm

I commute five days out of the week and tend to bring it along each of those days. I rarely get any friend hits.

I used to carry it around going for walks, but the trouble is the 3DS is so big, you can only have that in one pocket. And it can't play music like an mp3 player, so I have no reason to carry it around on normal trips around town - I must carry an extra bag with me just to hold the 3DS. iPhone beats it any day for portability and functionality. Makes me wonder if Nintendo should consider making a cell phone...
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Apothem

MDB Staff - Editor

Postby Apothem » 12.07.11 9:15pm

Nintendo should just get with the damned 21st century and add, perhaps in a later iteration, some proper multimedia applications. It supports SD cards, and I know for a fact you could hack MP3 functionality into the DSi so there's no logical reason Nintendo couldn't have included an MP3 player. They simply didn't want to, being irrationally opposed to expanding upon the capabilities of their devices. Sony, as usual, has the right idea building the PSV akin to a smart phone: Sony's typical reliance on multimedia accessibility coupled with an Android/iOS styled app store, it'll effectively be able to do just about anything, in theory. This being Sony, of course, they'll limit the hell out of the damn thing, as they already have in various ways, but the general direction they're moving in is proper and forward thinking, they're just not doing it very intelligently, which has become par for the course.

Nintendo needs to learn that dedicated gaming devices are quickly becoming obsolete, both handhelds and consoles, and step their game up. With the rapidly expanding mobile market and, baring some unforeseen stupidity on Sony's part, the likely rise to prominence of the Vita, the 3DS will look dull and frankly incapable by comparison. Apple learned early on that aside from their brand name the best way to keep their ridiculously overpriced gadgets in peoples pockets was to make them so universally functional as to be invaluable. With Sony apparently imitating Apple's philosophy, they're poised to provide stiff competition in both markets. Meanwhile Nintendo is still stuck in the nineties when the thought of an all in one portable device was strictly science fiction.

I'm certain the 3DS will do well for itself, however if consumers are willing to over come the considerable hurdle of the PSV's steep price point, and assuming it's properly supported with software, it won't be terribly long before it overtakes the 3DS, to say nothing of the mobile markets continued rise in quality and quantity of games. It won't be too long before the one thing the 3DS can do well will ultimately become it's most banal feature. Nintendo'll either have to adapt or die off, it's entirely up to them at this point.

Tim

MDB Staff - Programmer

Postby Tim » 12.08.11 1:17am

Apothem wrote:Nintendo should just get with the damned 21st century and add, perhaps in a later iteration, some proper multimedia applications. It supports SD cards, and I know for a fact you could hack MP3 functionality into the DSi so there's no logical reason Nintendo couldn't have included an MP3 player. They simply didn't want to, being irrationally opposed to expanding upon the capabilities of their devices.

Nintendo didn't add mp3 support because they didn't want to pay royalties for the decoder. In order to use an mp3 decoder in a system, they would have had to pay something around $0.75 to $1.25 per unit sold and maybe an annual royalty fee of $15,000. Maybe my numbers are a bit off, but hopefully the general point is accurate.

Since Sony and Microsoft expect to lose money on hardware sales a few extra cents is no big deal. Their business model is around selling software, whereas Nintendo makes a large amount of its profits from hardware sales so the royalties could have impacted their bottom line more so than it would Sony's or Microsoft's.

Nintendo might not be a super greedy company, but the DS family has sold around 150 million units. Multiply that by $0.75 and that would be $112,500,000 of lost profits if Nintendo had supported mp3 playback. So in order to say if they made the right decision we'd need to know if mp3 support would have increased their sales and thus profits by more than $112.5 million. I'm guessing it wouldn't have.

PreviousNext

Return to General Videogame Discussion