Nintendo 3DS

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!

Moderator: Moderators

Naner

Dark Samus

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Postby Naner » 12.08.11 3:58am

What the hell are you guys talking about? The 3DS has a built-in MP3 player called "Nintendo 3DS Sound." You know, that big blue thing in your main menu. -_-;

I certainly don't prefer using it over my iPod, but it has been useful a few times.

And Apothem, did you really just make an argument about how Nintendo is going to die because you think the 3DS doesn't have an MP3 player? Yay Internet with its overreactions! :D
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

kronoridley

Kraid

Postby kronoridley » 12.08.11 4:18am

If Nintendo was banking on everyone carrying an iPod with them to hear music, then I must say that actually ain't too risky at all, considering how many people have them.

Also, I apologize for the extreme overreaction yesterday. I didn't notice the e-shop hadn't been updated, so I thought they were screwing us over. Looks like I'll find out tomorrow what we will get.....

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

Chris

Metroid Queen

Postby Chris » 12.08.11 4:22am

Yeah exactly, it's hard to miss, Capcom was pointing out I think it's hard to use as an MP3 player not that it doesn't have one.

There is also a camera and you can stream videos to it and browse the web, it can do quite a lot besides games...

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.08.11 4:38am

Chris wrote:Yeah exactly, it's hard to miss, Capcom was pointing out I think it's hard to use as an MP3 player not that it doesn't have one.
Actually... Everyone was under the impression the 3DS simply can't play MP3s whatsoever.
CapCom wrote:And it can't play music like an mp3 player
Apothem wrote:there's no logical reason Nintendo couldn't have included an MP3 player.
rondus18 wrote:Nintendo didn't add mp3 support because they didn't want to pay royalties for the decoder.

Chris wrote:There is also a camera and you can stream videos to it and browse the web, it can do quite a lot besides games...
True. Nintendo is slowly making their devices more and more useful. the DSi was a big improvement over the DS, and the 3DS is a big improvement over the DSi. The 3DS can be used to take pictures, shoot videos, browse the web, take notes, watch Netflix, watch Hulu Plus, listen to music, and hey, play good-looking games in 3D, too. It might not do as many things as an iPhone, but it does enough to keep it in my pocket almost all the time.

Post dissection © 2007-2011 AMetroidGuy
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Chris

Metroid Queen

Postby Chris » 12.08.11 7:43am

Yeah I knew the others thought that but I think Capcom meant it's not really useful as an MP3 player, real mp3 players and phones do it better, mostly anyway. I've not tried it myself though.

Tim

MDB Staff - Programmer

Postby Tim » 12.08.11 1:20pm

I was talking about the DS family (i.e. DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL) and more specifically the claim that if you can hack mp3 support into the DSi there is therefore no logical reason for Nintendo not to have added it.

I think we can assume that massive price cut means they don't plan on making a profit per 3DS sold like the Wii. So Nintendo is now in a similar boat as Sony and Microsoft with the 3DS. They are aiming to sell more software per 3DS owner than the DS and Wii were aiming to do. Which is great since it means they'll be focusing on the core gamer market and not the causal market as much.

kronoridley

Kraid

Postby kronoridley » 12.08.11 2:10pm

Alright! The eShop has been updated! Now let's see......

Yup! No demos! F*ck you NOA.

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.08.11 3:07pm

rondus18 wrote:I think we can assume that massive price cut means they don't plan on making a profit per 3DS sold like the Wii. So Nintendo is now in a similar boat as Sony and Microsoft with the 3DS. They are aiming to sell more software per 3DS owner than the DS and Wii were aiming to do. Which is great since it means they'll be focusing on the core gamer market and not the causal market as much.
I think Nintendo still makes a profit when it sells a 3DS for $170. A smaller one, obviously, but it's there. I'm pretty sure they once mentioned they would never sell hardware below cost.

kronoridley wrote:Alright! The eShop has been updated! Now let's see......

Yup! No demos! F*ck you NOA.
Yeah, well... Agreed.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Tim

MDB Staff - Programmer

Postby Tim » 12.10.11 1:20am

Naner wrote:
rondus18 wrote:I think we can assume that massive price cut means they don't plan on making a profit per 3DS sold like the Wii. So Nintendo is now in a similar boat as Sony and Microsoft with the 3DS. They are aiming to sell more software per 3DS owner than the DS and Wii were aiming to do. Which is great since it means they'll be focusing on the core gamer market and not the causal market as much.
I think Nintendo still makes a profit when it sells a 3DS for $170. A smaller one, obviously, but it's there. I'm pretty sure they once mentioned they would never sell hardware below cost.

If they can make a profit after an $80 price cut then they were ripping people off big time. They'd have also left themselves open to being undercut by Sony, which I don't need to remind Nintendo is a company that a) kicked there ass for two generation in a row in a market previously dominated by Nintendo and b) want's to do the same to them again in the handheld market. I just can't see how pricing the 3DS so high in the first place if more than $80 of that MSRP was pure profit was a smart idea.

Also, this sounds to me like they are planning to lose money on 3DS hardware sales:

Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2012
Iwata wrote:First of all, as far as the current term, ending in March 2012, is concerned, we have decided that driving the sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware is our main priority, and in a sense, we can say that by doing this, we have sacrificed our profitability for this fiscal year. We came to the conclusion that we needed to make that bold investment, instead of focusing just on this term’s profitability, so that we would be able to make the Nintendo 3DS an important foundation for Nintendo for years to come. During the fiscal year ending March 2013, we are expecting the profitability of Nintendo 3DS hardware to improve significantly. In other words, we are not anticipating a situation where we must expand the hardware by generating a large loss on the sales of the hardware. As long as we can create sufficient momentum, I think we will be able to come close to our usual course of business operations in the next fiscal year.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.10.11 3:41am

Hmm... Maybe they are selling at a loss. However, I think that $170 will become profitable pretty soon. We all know it's going to take a looong time for the Vita to cost less than $250. And those damn memory cards cost a fortune. ;)
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Postby Rustedsoda » 12.10.11 10:51am

rondus18 wrote:
Apothem wrote:Nintendo should just get with the damned 21st century and add, perhaps in a later iteration, some proper multimedia applications. It supports SD cards, and I know for a fact you could hack MP3 functionality into the DSi so there's no logical reason Nintendo couldn't have included an MP3 player. They simply didn't want to, being irrationally opposed to expanding upon the capabilities of their devices.

*is currently enjoying the MP3 player that came factory-installed on the 3DS.*

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 12.10.11 1:01pm

Rustedsoda wrote:
rondus18 wrote:
Apothem wrote:Nintendo should just get with the damned 21st century and add, perhaps in a later iteration, some proper multimedia applications. It supports SD cards, and I know for a fact you could hack MP3 functionality into the DSi so there's no logical reason Nintendo couldn't have included an MP3 player. They simply didn't want to, being irrationally opposed to expanding upon the capabilities of their devices.

*is currently enjoying the MP3 player that came factory-installed on the 3DS.*

Yeah, I don't know where the idea came that it didn't have an MP3 player, but there's quite clearly a "3DS Sound" app on the 3DS.

And here's instructions on how to use it.
Furthermore, the newly-released Nintendo Zone lets you download free demos. You just have to find a WiFi hot spot at your local Starbucks, Best Buy, McDonalds, or whoever offers it and hop on their wifi.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,800 unique artworks and still growing!

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.10.11 7:02pm

Nintendo Zone seems interesting. I hope we get some in Brazil soon. We don't have Bast Buy, so... maybe McDonalds?
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.14.11 5:52am

GBA ambassador games this Friday! And here's the list:

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi’s Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

I could have hardly hoped for a better list.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/the-full-lis ... or-program
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.16.11 5:54am

GBA ambassador games are now available to everyone, it seems. It's a great selection of titles, so go download them right now.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

PreviousNext

Return to General Videogame Discussion