What do you want the next Metroid to look like?

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.

Moderator: Moderators

EmpReb

Zeta Metroid

EmpReb

Re: What do you want the next Metroid to look like?

Postby EmpReb » 01.14.12 7:10pm

okey wrote:Why use sprites instead of hand drawn art? KOF XIII looks good but something like Rayman or Skullgirls looks a lot smoother.

Is it weird that I want an Wii-U Metroid to use 2d art and a 3ds one to use polygons?

I am getting this right? You want an anime (the realist kind) looking Metroid in HD in 2D.....

Humm, this could work.... :thumbsup:
Satch wrote:I'm a chick
:-? O_O o_O x_x
I think, I am just as shocked as most people are when they find out Samus is girl.
Project538 wrote: :rmg: "Remembuh to smile, Princess!"

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 01.19.12 7:09pm

No, I don't want the next game to have an anime look (does zero mission's style count as anime?). It's just that if they go with 2d I want them to use graphics that scale up. You can run the Wii version of Rayman in an emulator and if you up the resolution it looks exactly like the 360/ps3 version. Normally if you try that with a 2d game the sprites get blurry.

I got a question for everyone. How important is 60fps to Metroid? Would you trade framerate for better lighting or more detailed environments and characters? Ideally you want both, but say if you only could get one?

ddddd

Gamma Metroid

Postby ddddd » 01.29.12 12:02pm

Having played some games where the framerate drops to 30, and then going back to 60, I really prefer the later. The system will be capable of at least 720p (even 1080p without pushing it) at 60fps anyway.

PlatypusIV

Hatchling

Postby PlatypusIV » 01.31.12 9:03pm

I would like the next Metroid game to be something you could appropriately call "Metroid 5". In other words, something that is very similar to Super and Fusion as far as the game play goes. The storyline, however, should not have Ridley in it. I am a little tired of him coming up some way or the other in every. Single. Metroid. Game. I think they should try to come up with some new Bosses all together. Preferably, the Space Pirates should come up somewhere, But there is one thing every Metroid game must have in some way, shape of form: Metroids, obviously. After all, it is the game's title. And if Nintendo took the game's focus off of the Metroids entirely, It would no longer be a Metroid game.
-PlatypusIV-

Zynux

Kraid

Postby Zynux » 01.31.12 9:43pm

PlatypusIV wrote:The storyline, however, should not have Ridley in it. I am a little tired of him coming up some way or the other in every. Single. Metroid. Game. I think they should try to come up with some new Bosses all together.

Completely agree. The only time I would approve of Ridley appearing again is if they even bothered to try to develop him as a villain, his motives, what he thinks of Samus, how and why he became a Space Pirate, etc. etc. but off course they won't they'll keep him a blank piece of paper as far as a villain is concerned.

But there is one thing every Metroid game must have in some way, shape of form: Metroids, obviously. After all, it is the game's title. And if Nintendo took the game's focus off of the Metroids entirely, It would no longer be a Metroid game.

Completely disagree, I'm tired of Metroids being shoehorned in as well when they don't need to be there and in fact cheapen the plot even more (Metroid: Other M). Yes, the game is called 'Metroid' but it is clearly the story of Samus (though Anthony Higgs is clearly the real hero of this tale, but that's for another discussion :awesome: ). Metroids do not need to be in every game. Come up occasionally? Sure, but anything more than that is just lazy/bad/unoriginal writing imo. While I'm definitely not up to the idea of a new hero to replace Samus (I wuv Samus), I'm all for the idea of new villains and new creatures that can overshadow Metroids for a little while.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Robotnik

Metroid

Postby Robotnik » 02.01.12 5:18pm

If they decide to try making a 2D Metroid on the Wii U, I would want super HD sprites/hand-drawn in the style of Rayman Origins, or perhaps think of it as the style Zero Mission seemed to be going for in HD. Something about the way Other M and Shadow Complex's 2.5D just made the game feel a bit cheap.

But, if they want to make a new 3D Metroid, and Retro are the ones making it, I would LOVE to see a Metroid Prime-ish game to be the super-badass-graphical-powerhouse-showcase title.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 better not suck...It just can't suck...

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 02.01.12 5:31pm

I'm up for new villains too. Although I don't think Metroids will be going away anytime soon. Given what we know, it looks as though we're going to have more run-ins with the feds.

Hmm... I do want this new Metroid to have a new feel to it. Yet have just something to poke the nostalgic feel of games past. Sure, R&D1 don't really know how to execute 3D gameplay but I'm saying to just have the artists around who worked on environments, scenery, enemies and music of Super and Fusion and let a third party or different department handle the gameplay aspects. If they did that, I think we could have something new but still have SOMETHING that feels familiar to remind us that this runs along the main timeline without having to tell us (show, don't tell, after all). Oh and very importantly, Since we've had our fill of fire, ice, jungle, water and facilities, they should still try to come up with something new to make it fresh. Whatever similarities in aesthetics that do occur should be very subtle.

Not sure if that's even possible though.

Zynux

Kraid

Postby Zynux » 02.01.12 5:59pm

Remnants wrote:Oh and very importantly, Since we've had our fill of fire, ice, jungle, water and facilities, they should still try to come up with something new to make it fresh. Whatever similarities in aesthetics that do occur should be very subtle.

Not only that but we need new items/power-ups too. Not just add a few in there, no we need a massive overhaul at this point, with either completely new items or extensive tweaks and adjustments to the properties of the old ones. We've abused the same items with the same puzzles for far too long imo.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 02.01.12 6:20pm

Zynux wrote:Not only that but we need new items/power-ups too. Not just add a few in there, no we need a massive overhaul at this point, with either completely new items or extensive tweaks and adjustments to the properties of the old ones. We've abused the same items with the same puzzles for far too long imo.

^ Fact.
Well, there have been countless discussions as to what new gameplay possibilities might work. Stagnation's becoming more and more of a problem here. Kinda wish that more Metroid fans had the devotions and skills to make fan works that implement brilliant ideas that pop up here and there every once in a while.

Stardust

Mochtroid

Postby Stardust » 02.07.12 11:05am

I feel it would be redundant to want the next Metroid to look like it was made by Retro, so how about something highly contrasting, with thick black shadows against bright neon. I'd like an almost "Survival Horror" atmosphere and usage of light, with beams of light through cracks only serving to accent the place by casting creepy shadows.

I'd also like a sense of scale with the art direction. Samus should appear to be nine foot tall while in the suit, yet the enemies appear so much bigger. The environments should appear vast too, with high ceilings, great drops, even expansive outdoor areas at times. There would be room for tight spaces too, but overall I'd like things to appear huge.

Outside of art direction I'll just quickly say that third person over the shoulder view, like say Resident Evil 4, would be nice. What I mean by that is the camera stays behind Samus, says behind her for morph balling, and moves closer and slightly to the right or left of her for firing missiles. Much less jarring than other views previously used.

Oh and the exploration of a planet will never get old and continues to have infinite possibilities!

Zynux

Kraid

Postby Zynux » 02.07.12 8:43pm

Stardust wrote:I feel it would be redundant to want the next Metroid to look like it was made by Retro,

Agreed, please no more RetroStudios. They did their part for the Prime Trilogy, so can we please move on? I would hate to have yet another Prime game. I want some evolution. Other M may have been quite polarizing to put it lightly, but atleast it wasn't a Prime clone.

I'd like an almost "Survival Horror" atmosphere and usage of light, with beams of light through cracks only serving to accent the place by casting creepy shadows.

I believe that there is a time and place where Metroid would benefit greatly from a more eerie, Horror aspect but imo only on select levels. For example I always felt that levels that took place in a Facility should have taken a more horror aspect (like the bottle ship or the B.S.L.) but I'm not sure if say a Jungle level would benefit from a darker atmosphere.

I'd also like a sense of scale with the art direction. Samus should appear to be nine foot tall while in the suit, yet the enemies appear so much bigger. The environments should appear vast too, with high ceilings, great drops, even expansive outdoor areas at times. There would be room for tight spaces too, but overall I'd like things to appear huge.

I actually agree with this, it would give a sense that you're exploring a massive, vast alien world. The level designs would be pretty incredible too if they took this approach.

Outside of art direction I'll just quickly say that third person over the shoulder view, like say Resident Evil 4, would be nice. What I mean by that is the camera stays behind Samus, says behind her for morph balling, and moves closer and slightly to the right or left of her for firing missiles. Much less jarring than other views previously used.

I honestly loathe 3rd person like Resident Evil and Dead Space for some reason. I personally wouldn't mind Other M-like 3rd person though.

Pirate parylizer

Hatchling

Postby Pirate parylizer » 02.09.12 2:06am

Other m gameplay style, but on the Chozo homeworld, taking place not long after fusion, and having samus only speak in important parts of the storyline.

Or maybe a collaboration with valve to have portal-metroid fusion. Idk, I really would love to see the two somehow come together since they're my favorite two game series'. Even if they do have nowhere near similar storylines.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 02.09.12 4:09am

Maybe you could have something like this:

"Space core acquired! Spacespacespace SPAAAAACE!"
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Pirate parylizer

Hatchling

Postby Pirate parylizer » 02.09.12 10:15am

Naner wrote:Maybe you could have something like this:

"Space core acquired! Spacespacespace SPAAAAACE!"

You are the best, that is amazing!!!!!

awesome metroid

Mochtroid

Postby awesome metroid » 02.09.12 2:18pm

well it should contain the ability to switch between 2d scnarios like metroid 1-4 and also have the ability to go 3d like the prime series (aka another form of metroid other m exept better gameplay) it also should be on a whole new planet :gsamus: :ridley:
well it looks like that metroid is getting pwned

PreviousNext

Return to General Metroid Discussion