Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!

Moderator: Moderators

FrostyMetroid

Mochtroid

Re: Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Postby FrostyMetroid » 01.12.12 4:55pm

Mine comes down too 3 titles. Super, Zero Mission, and Metroid 2.

I enjoyed Super the most but played Zero mission more when it arrived. Metroid 2 i played for years on my gameboy until it finally died and i couldnt play it anymore. Now that its out on 3ds im playing it again and again lol.

So its a hard choice.
ImageImage

Zynux

Metroid Queen

Postby Zynux » 01.13.12 3:42pm

I can't decide between Super and Zero.

Zero had great graphics, great music, a much needed updated control scheme (in comparison to Super). I also loved the Zero-Suit section. Not only did it add variety to the gameplay, the suspense of the entire section was great. Then, once you got the Varia suit you really felt empowered to fuck shit up on the Pirate Mothership. I thought the Ridley and Kraid fights were better here as well. However, Zero Mission is way too damn short. I know Speed Runners may like that, but I hate it when games are short.

Super also had great music, amazing atmoshphere for a SNES game, great level design, was more challenging than Zero and offers the most freedom out of all metroids period. It also had the best plot despite no dialogue or cinematic cutscenes. However, Super really does have a shitty control scheme in comparison to Zero and Fusion.

Also:[spoiler]Mother Brain in Super Metroid is probably one of the most disappointing Final Bosses I have ever fought in a video game, and even worse than Mecha-Ridley in Zero Mission. Its beyond easy and underwhelming.[/spoiler]
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 01.15.12 9:52pm

Either Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion. The first time I played Super Metroid, it was like love at first site, except it wasn't. Metroid Fusion reminded me of Super Metroid, except it was more streamlined in the controls and was more linear. I loved the boss battles in both games. Omega Metroid was more dissappointing than Mother Brain for me. Yet, it was easier for me to finish Metroid Fusion than Super Metroid the first time as far as length. I guess I just can't decide which one I like better.

On a side note, does anyone know of any stores where I could find a copy of Metroid: Zero Mission for rather cheap (under ten U.S. dollars)?
Opinions are opinions, not facts. Though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Even Metroids and Ridley, the unkillable beast.
Viva Les Alpha et Omega Metroids.
Kraid should be brought back, he needs some good 'ol Metroid love.

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 01.21.12 10:51pm

Super Metroid,in 2nd place i cant decide Zero Mission or Fusion

Super Metroid has the best map ever,i got lost many times when i played the first time, each ability i got makes me happy,really great times.
The musics in Super are the best for me,Brinstar entrance,Crateria when u return from brinstar,Ridley theme, and the better Lower Norfair

Super for me is the best from all other metroids,not only 2d,but .I think Other M stay after for me,but Super is the best yet
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

SLtheFMA

Gamma Metroid

Postby SLtheFMA » 01.22.12 1:14am

Super Metroid and Zero Mission are my two favorites. When I try to decide which is better based off music, gameplay, level design, and bosses they both win. TOO MUCH THINKING >_<X !
ImageImage

refructionation

Mochtroid

Postby refructionation » 02.17.12 8:08pm

Return of Samus is my favorit. i guess cause it was the first game i remember playing. even back then when i was 6, it was my favorit game to play.
now i'm 20 and nothin's changed haha

Fusion has got to be my second favorit. nice suit. nice story line.

Zero Mission is just fun to play ^^ plus it's pretty fun unlockin a lotta stuff

johnnypalooza

Egg

Postby johnnypalooza » 02.25.12 10:38pm

Definitely Super Metroid. It's a game I can play over and over again and hardly ever get bored. And despite the fact that I've played it so many times, it somehow always challenges me in different ways.

My second pick would have to be Zero Mission. I hardly ever put it down when it came out. Wish I still had my cartridge. :(

Metroid II also gets special mention. I just started playing it, actually, and I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm having. I love the evolved Metroids, too.

Dark Samus Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dark Samus Aran » 04.04.12 4:06pm

Probably Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion.
Zero Mission is a remake of metroid. but with bigger and badder bosses.
sure metroids great, but zero mission made it better.

Fusion is a Metroid game people probably didnt expect to see, challenging bosses and stuff. Both are great, great, great, great games :s-logo:
[METROID] -Dark Samus Aran Out- [METROID]

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 04.06.12 9:56am

Super Metroid is the first game that made Samus such a badass, and Zero Mission took an already great game and grafted some of that badass-ery back in time. And Fusion showed how Samus could be such a badass even after half her suit got ripped off by the Fed. Choices, choices...Fusion. I just enjoyed how Fusion played, except for its linearity. Non-linear exploration almost seemed like an unlockable, and they still have the nerve to take it away at the very end. But it's the one I had most fun with anyways.
Samus Aran wrote:Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

atlas191

Mochtroid

Postby atlas191 » 04.14.12 11:13am

it is a hard question to answer :/ but my favorite metroid is metroid fusion because of the history

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 04.17.12 4:07am

I got into Metroid entirely by accident in the 1990's when a friend was giving away the games they did not want for their Super NES - one day in school, he just handed me a cartridge of Super Metroid. Lord knows why they did not want it, they must have been insane 8B I literally played it non-stop for weeks.

From the moment I landed on Zebes, I was amazed at how eerie and atmospheric it was - I jumped out of my seat every time a creature jumped out at me. Also, when you get the Morph Ball and Missile Expansion and those spotlights focus on you - it was almost like the planet itself was watching... It was one of those games where no matter how stuck or frightened I was, I still loved every moment. I think it was TJ said on the second Wave Beam Podcast that the first one you play will most likely always be your favourite - how very true indeed! :D

It DID take a LOOOONG time though, but even as a child I was so hooked within the first few minutes. I still have not finished the original yet - it would be easy with cheats, but that would ruin it - you know? And I got Metroid II on my GBC and finished it in 18 hours, even when I completed it, I just kept going :awesome:

tl:dr - sorry, but you've just got to show these games love :D

DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 04.30.12 9:51am

Hmm... right now I'd have to say Super. I'm in the middle of Fusion (I'd like to throw Yakuza the Space Jump Spider douchebag into a pool of Phazon) and I really do like it. It's a lot of fun. This is technically my second playthru cause I effed up so bad near the Ridley fight that I had to restart my file. :( The other three (Zero, NES, and RoS) are in a clusterphuck for close second. I personally enjoyed the Mother Brain fight in SM. I think the Primes are almost in a league of their own (with Corruption probably being my favorite of the three) so I'd probably place Prime 1 on par with Super, with Prime 2 below that. Other M is tossed into the ZM/NES/RoS clusterphuck. (Yes, the 'ph' was on purpose!) I didn't see much of a problem with the controls in any of the games I've played (which is just about all of them!) and I was really impressed with all of them for many different reasons. Now that I think of it I need to edit my RoS review a little bit cause I like it better now after my second playthru. It really wasn't hard at all. I didn't even die to the Queen. (I only died once near the beginning of the game to a random monster... XD :P ) I also shaved a whopping TWO HOURS off of my first completion time. Went from over 6 hours to 4:40. In ZM I didn't go for a speedrun, I aimed for (and got!) 100% on normal. Some of those items were ridiculous to get, so I think it was a 100% completion that I could be proud of. :) As for NES Metroid, I've pretty much got that game nailed. A couple of weeks ago I just barely beat it in over an hour (I looked at a clock). In Super, my lowest time right now is 2:32 with 58% completion.(I really want to submerge and drown Ridley in a Phazon pool.)

Mayan Mystery

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 07.17.12 9:24pm

DarkPhazonElite wrote:Hmm... right now I'd have to say Super. I'm in the middle of Fusion (I'd like to throw Yakuza the Space Jump Spider douchebag into a pool of Phazon) and I really do like it. It's a lot of fun. This is technically my second playthru cause I effed up so bad near the Ridley fight that I had to restart my file. :( The other three (Zero, NES, and RoS) are in a clusterphuck for close second. I personally enjoyed the Mother Brain fight in SM. I think the Primes are almost in a league of their own (with Corruption probably being my favorite of the three) so I'd probably place Prime 1 on par with Super, with Prime 2 below that. Other M is tossed into the ZM/NES/RoS clusterphuck. (Yes, the 'ph' was on purpose!) I didn't see much of a problem with the controls in any of the games I've played (which is just about all of them!) and I was really impressed with all of them for many different reasons. Now that I think of it I need to edit my RoS review a little bit cause I like it better now after my second playthru. It really wasn't hard at all. I didn't even die to the Queen. (I only died once near the beginning of the game to a random monster... XD :P ) I also shaved a whopping TWO HOURS off of my first completion time. Went from over 6 hours to 4:40. In ZM I didn't go for a speedrun, I aimed for (and got!) 100% on normal. Some of those items were ridiculous to get, so I think it was a 100% completion that I could be proud of. :) As for NES Metroid, I've pretty much got that game nailed. A couple of weeks ago I just barely beat it in over an hour (I looked at a clock). In Super, my lowest time right now is 2:32 with 58% completion.(I really want to submerge and drown Ridley in a Phazon pool.)

Yakuza is REEEEEEAALY annoying. I really couldn't agree with you more about this entire post. And I hope you finish Fusion cause it is an amazing game. Mainly I like the story but the gameplay, environments, and world size is also nice.

DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 08.15.12 3:33pm

I did finish it and it was pretty darn good. :) Although I think Nightmare is very appropriately named!! That battle was a nightmare. All TEN attempts. Even the Spider Guardian from MP2 wasn't as hard!

Arachnus

Gamma Metroid

Postby Arachnus » 08.15.12 3:47pm

My favourite's probably got to be Super-it was pretty revolutionary at the time and introduced the charge beam, grappling beam and gravity suit,which are still used in Metroid games today. Also, it is the first 2D Metroid game that really held my attention, and encouraged me to see it through to the end.
The graphics, sound and animation are also absolutely stunning, considering it is a 16-bit game.

Oh, and the final boss is EPIC. :cool:
Fawful wrote:You have energy like an little angry battery with no friends.

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid Classic