The world needs Metroid 5

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!

Moderator: Moderators

LesserChozo

Re: The world needs Metroid 5

Postby LesserChozo » 02.21.12 7:35am

PlatypusIV wrote:
Oh. You're one of those fans. >:(

hey, c'mon now... It's not like I go around screaming at Nintendo because they didn't do a good job on Other M (like a lot of fans unfortunately do), I was just pointing out that I wouldn't be happy if they made another one that wasn't too good.

Pretty sure I had a " :P " in there; I was only teasing. And I know I've said this before, but, personally, I would love another game with the same graphics and gameplay of Other M; that would be awesome. However, it needs to return to the simpler story formula of the classic games. <3
doc O. mire wrote:Then, would the city be deserted and empty, causing Samus a feeling of isolation? or filled with people, causing her to come into conflict with whatever authority exists there and be forced into socially awkward situations due to her very limited interaction with civilians? Or what if they aren't civilians and are instead advanced higher-lifeforms like the chozo and luminoth?
They could explore how Samus can feel "alone in a crowd," but maybe the franchise has already gotten too deep. I say the city should be mostly deserted. Maybe it was overrun with pirates, or evacuated due to a federation experiment gone wrong, or just a scientific community that was left abandoned; there are plenty of options.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

PlatypusIV

Hatchling

Postby PlatypusIV » 02.26.12 10:03pm

LesserChozo wrote:
PlatypusIV wrote:
Oh. You're one of those fans. >:(

hey, c'mon now... It's not like I go around screaming at Nintendo because they didn't do a good job on Other M (like a lot of fans unfortunately do), I was just pointing out that I wouldn't be happy if they made another one that wasn't too good.

Pretty sure I had a " :P " in there; I was only teasing.

Alright, alright, It just sort of felt like a personal attack, but I know that's not what you really meant. Sorry...
-PlatypusIV-

Remnants

Omega Metroid

Postby Remnants » 03.01.12 11:02am

For Metroid 5 to feel connected to the others, it would have to be 3rd person somehow.
If they went with 1st person, it would feel disconnected from Metroid Fusion just like the Prime Trilogy feels disconnected from the rest, at least to me.

So... I remember people mentioning that Samus would get her original Varia Suit back after her having assimilated SA-X into her being takes full effect or has to find it on another adventure. Personally, I'd like the Fusion Suit to stay for a while. Another post I vaguely remember went on about Samus having Metroid-like abilities, energy absorption being an obvious one. Metroids as we know may transform into different kinds if they grew in different kinds of environments, that's how we got the "Greek alphabet" Metroids if I'm not mistaken. Don't really know what could be done with that.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 03.03.12 7:45am

Remnants wrote:So... I remember people mentioning that Samus would get her original Varia Suit back after her having assimilated SA-X into her being takes full effect or has to find it on another adventure.
Not exactly. As I understand it, the essence of the Varia suit has been returned, the former limitations of the Fusion suit have been overcome, but the physical form isn't going to change back. I don't expect it to, at least. <3

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 03.05.12 8:38pm

You gotta admit that the fusion suit is hideous. Way too many confusing elements, the thing doesn't make any sense.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again but they really need to give it a redesign.

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 03.05.12 8:58pm

I could live with the design of the fusion suit if most of the upgrade colorations weren't absolutely horrid to look at. But I'm not much of a fan of the design, so I wouldn't mind, personally, to see it 86'd. However, would be interesting to see what more they could do with the Metroid DNA infusion from the vaccine Samus got at the start of the game.

Death Recon

Omega Metroid

Butt

Postby Death Recon » 03.06.12 8:06pm

maybe if she got close enough she could siphon energy from enemies.
Hello.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 03.07.12 10:38am

It's very likely that the end result of Fusion will be the starting point of the next game, and since the suit has been returned to its former state, physiologically, it's possible that the color schemes may go back to the more traditional. Although, naturally, I'm curious how they are going to address the upgrade process; are they going to start her off with all or a few of her current upgrades and add more, or strip her down again.

*ahem* If I may resubmit an idea I laid out regarding a dream I had; Samus is somehow affixed with a mysterious device, or through some other means, suppressing her latent abilities and she must find ways to override it and once again regain her powers.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 03.10.12 12:58pm

That sounds like it'd have the same problems as authorization. It can't feel like the game is begrudgingly giving you permission to use the fun stuff.

How would you override this suppression gadget in a way that's more fun than exploring an area or fighting a boss?

Varia

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia » 03.10.12 3:58pm

okey wrote:How would you override this suppression gadget in a way that's more fun than exploring an area or fighting a boss?

More fun? I'm confused by your statement. To me, fighting bosses and exploration IS the fun of Metroid.
But I'll digress.

Going back to this gadget-thing, it might work but I'm not sure how it would flow with the game-mechanics.

A buddy and I were talking about the whole authorization process in Other M and like most, we didn't really enjoy it. So we thought about what happened in Prime 2. Samus lost her items and such because her suit was like a computer in that game. It crashed and her item hard-drive 'failed'.

I really liked that concept... and they could try to re-use it again in the other games.

Maybe the Galactic Federation for scientific research and other tactical purposes, takes off Samus' logbook, weapons and other devices and uploads them onto the GF database ect. Then Samus is left each game/mission with a clean slate but has her basic tools of survival, morfball, power-grip, basic arm-cannon fire etc.
ImageImageImageImage

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 03.10.12 4:56pm

Varia wrote:More fun? I'm confused by your statement. To me, fighting bosses and exploration IS the fun of Metroid. But I'll digress.

Yeah I didn't word that too well :| What I meant to say is that any story explanation they come up with for taking her items away shouldn't detract from the game the way authorization did. Having to cross an arbitrary line to get permission to use items isn't as fun as getting new stuff through exploring and boss fights.

Varia wrote:A buddy and I were talking about the whole authorization process in Other M and like most, we didn't really enjoy it. So we thought about what happened in Prime 2. Samus lost her items and such because her suit was like a computer in that game. It crashed and her item hard-drive 'failed'.

I thought the monsters literally stole the items from her?

Speaking of Prime 2, I really liked how Samus didn't lose the Varia suit and instead was put in a situation where it wasn't useful. It felt more natural than having it get damaged and they used the opportunity to introduce new suits. I don't know if it's possible to do that with her entire arsenal though.

doc O. Mire

Omega Metroid

Postby doc O. Mire » 03.10.12 5:08pm

Why not have Samus start her mission trapped on an alien world with only the Zero-Suit? And it just so happens that this planet is one of the few the Chozo apparently haven't visited, and there'd be a good reason for it (some kind of deadly race of creatures or something that kept them away, but whatever, it isn't important atm). The chozo having never visited the planet would mean that not only is Samus without her power suit, but without any upgrades to help her. So she'd have to make her own.

There may be a slight crafting mechanic, but the main idea would be that Samus would have to accomplish what no other human has and successfully create equipment better than what the chozo could :ice: She'd have to visit alien temples, labs and fortresses and scavenge fallen enemies for parts, and she'd never be able to create exact replicas of old abilities (the plasma beam might turn into something more akin to a flamethrower or lightning beam), thus preventing her from ever becoming as overpowered as she has in past games :mp3:

Still not sure exactly how this would all work, as I thought up more than half of this as I was typing it :P but it could perhaps breathe some new life into the recently-problematic upgrade/authorization system :adam:
"Writing is easy. You just stare at a blank page until your forehead starts to bleed." - Douglas Adams

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 03.10.12 5:21pm

doc O. Mire wrote:There may be a slight crafting mechanic, but the main idea would be that Samus would have to accomplish what no other human has and successfully create equipment better than what the chozo could She'd have to visit alien temples, labs and fortresses and scavenge fallen enemies for parts, and she'd never be able to create exact replicas of old abilities (the plasma beam might turn into something more akin to a flamethrower or lightning beam), thus preventing her from ever becoming as overpowered as she has in past games

Samus Aran built this in A CAVE! FROM A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 03.10.12 5:30pm

okey wrote:
doc O. Mire wrote:There may be a slight crafting mechanic, but the main idea would be that Samus would have to accomplish what no other human has and successfully create equipment better than what the chozo could She'd have to visit alien temples, labs and fortresses and scavenge fallen enemies for parts, and she'd never be able to create exact replicas of old abilities (the plasma beam might turn into something more akin to a flamethrower or lightning beam), thus preventing her from ever becoming as overpowered as she has in past games

Samus Aran built this in A CAVE! FROM A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!

I lol'd.

Zynux

Kraid

Postby Zynux » 03.10.12 6:35pm

When it comes to how we deal with power-ups, it should always be a mechanic that makes the player feel like he/she's being rewarded for their hard work. It can be story related or it could have no explanation at all, just as long as player feels that its a satisfactory reward for completing a puzzle or defeating a boss. This is why the Authorization mechanic failed so miserably; there's no reward in "obtaining" an item you already had from the very beginning.

doc O. Mire wrote:Why not have Samus start her mission trapped on an alien world with only the Zero-Suit? And it just so happens that this planet is one of the few the Chozo apparently haven't visited, and there'd be a good reason for it (some kind of deadly race of creatures or something that kept them away, but whatever, it isn't important atm). The chozo having never visited the planet would mean that not only is Samus without her power suit, but without any upgrades to help her. So she'd have to make her own.

There may be a slight crafting mechanic, but the main idea would be that Samus would have to accomplish what no other human has and successfully create equipment better than what the chozo could :ice: She'd have to visit alien temples, labs and fortresses and scavenge fallen enemies for parts, and she'd never be able to create exact replicas of old abilities (the plasma beam might turn into something more akin to a flamethrower or lightning beam), thus preventing her from ever becoming as overpowered as she has in past games :mp3:

I actually don't think this is a bad idea at all. When they first introduced the Zero Suit, I always felt it was better for it to be used in more survival horror/suspenseful areas (to make the Player feel more cautious and be like "OH SHIT I LOST THE POWER SUIT GOTTA BE CAREFUL." it sure as hell worked in Zero Mission). So if I'm understanding this correctly this vision of yours will heavily focus on survival horror (exploration can be a huge part as well). This would also fix the problem of repetitive power-ups, since you won't have any Chozo weapons at all so the designers will have to create completely new ones.

This would also boost Samus' character as well. It would show that she has the intelligent, wit, and resourcefulness to use other alien scraps for her own gain and she isn't just a sexy warrior that commits mass genocide just because she feels like it. It would also show that she can hold her own without her power-suit fairly well.

The problem I see with this idea is that it would be best to throw this as a "spin-off" rather than in the major plot arc. You will have to admit, it would be a pretty different Metroid to what we're used to. Though it would have massive exploration, it would also feature a less powerful Samus with more limitations, more survival, and (hopefully) a lot of horror (Just imagine trying to fight kraid or ridley with no Chozo Power-suit). I personally would be down for this idea but I can understand why others won't be.

Speaking of the Zero Suit, why the hell does Samus only carry around a measely pistol? It seems counter productive to carry around a pistol that she herself says is utterly useless. Samus, if its so useless, then why do you carry it around?

What I'm getting at is that if future Metroid games feature a Zero Suit segment, then she needs more arsenal imo. I always felt that in her Zero Suit she should atleast be carrying around a Pistol that actually does physical harm (maybe even dual-wield), a futuristic knife, some sort of Rifle and grenades, especially considering her background in the military. She could keep all of these weapons on her ship just in case she ever lost her power-suit. Just some ideas thrown out there.

Still not sure exactly how this would all work, as I thought up more than half of this as I was typing it :P but it could perhaps breathe some new life into the recently-problematic upgrade/authorization system :adam:

I don't believe Adam authorized you to call his Authority problematic :adam:

Though I don't believe Adam authorized me to call his Authorization system a failure either
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid Classic