What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!

Moderator: Moderators

Chris

Metroid Queen
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: 12.16.10 5:07am
Location: Leeds

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Chris » 04.27.12 7:12am

HYRUL3 wrote:Taking a break from Xenoblade Chronicles to play the Wii version of the Resident Evil remake.


Didn't realise such a thing existed? Loved the GC one though, don't remember being that frustrated with it apart from when a hunter ripped my head off that was off camera, made me jump out of my skin but was annoying as hell. Resident Evil 4 was the right direction in which the series took in terms of controls and that.

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.27.12 8:30am

Chris wrote:
HYRUL3 wrote:Taking a break from Xenoblade Chronicles to play the Wii version of the Resident Evil remake.


Didn't realise such a thing existed? Loved the GC one though, don't remember being that frustrated with it apart from when a hunter ripped my head off that was off camera, made me jump out of my skin but was annoying as hell. Resident Evil 4 was the right direction in which the series took in terms of controls and that.


I agree about the controls. I like the game it's just the mechanics which frustrate me to no end. Trying to turn a corner with a Crimson Head chasing you, camera changing, and accidentally doing a u turn into its attack and dying gets old fast. Especially because I have such little time for games.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Emperor Ing

User avatar

Nightmare
 
Posts: 5149
Joined: 12.27.07 1:22pm
Location: ENGAGING RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.27.12 11:16am

You guys do realize that for all intents and purposes, RE4 had the exact same controls as previous RE games but with a different perspective, right?
Hiroshi Mishima wrote:must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.
Image

Chris

Metroid Queen
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: 12.16.10 5:07am
Location: Leeds

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Chris » 04.27.12 1:40pm

Emperor Ing wrote:You guys do realize that for all intents and purposes, RE4 had the exact same controls as previous RE games but with a different perspective, right?


Yeah which made it more playable.

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.27.12 2:38pm

Emperor Ing wrote:You guys do realize that for all intents and purposes, RE4 had the exact same controls as previous RE games but with a different perspective, right?


Yeah. And it made the game playable. When you can actually fully control your characters navigation in a way that makes sense it makes a world of difference.

If they want to scare me, scare me. Don't frustrate me to death.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Azure Dragonius

User avatar

Kraid
 
Posts: 2124
Joined: 08.04.10 8:26pm
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Azure Dragonius » 04.27.12 3:48pm

RE 1-3 were still scarier. Whereas RE4... well... ISN'T.

Except for the Regenerators. Fuck those things.
DEATH COMES RIDIN' ON A MIDNIGHT TRAIN
Image

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.27.12 8:51pm

Azure Dragonius wrote:RE 1-3 were still scarier. Whereas RE4... well... ISN'T.

Except for the Regenerators. Fuck those things.


None of them were or are scary. Just frustrating that they can't make a competent control scheme.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Emperor Ing

User avatar

Nightmare
 
Posts: 5149
Joined: 12.27.07 1:22pm
Location: ENGAGING RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.27.12 9:22pm

You must have a pretty funny definition of "competent" if "being able to navigate the game-world" is not "competent."

Lots of people don't like the controls to the original RE games and that's fine, but you can't honestly call them "incompetent."



EDIT:

Anyhow, my copy of Working Designs' compilation SEGA AGES came in, and it's an absolutely beautiful specimen. Like all Working Designs boxes, the case is shiny, glossy, colorful, with that cool metallic sheen they put on all their manuals and back-covers that is just to die for.

The manual is from the golden-age of manuals, before they became soulless pieces of junk like they are today. Even in that time when manuals were a fun part of the experience, Working Designs manuals were king. They actually have translator notes in the back of every manual, explaining their localization process and the changes they made to each game they brought over. That is insane; can you think of ANY company nowadays doing that? They talk about the game, what they liked about it, and it has a really informal, buddy-buddy type of tone to it. Like these were your friends that worked on this cool project and are letting you have it. Ha ha.

The best part of every WD manual is how they always are thanking the purchasers towards the end. Specifically, they say "Remember, we brought this game over because YOU asked for it. We wouldn't be anywhere without YOUR help and support. Thank you."
It really fosters something of a close connection, or at least it did back when Working Designs was still around before Sony basically destroyed them.

The three games themselves are great. Space Harrier, After Burner II, and Outrun are all classics and titans in video-game history. Having them all on one disc is really special.
But the thing is, I have them all separately on JPN import as well!
I had gotten Space Harrier and Outrun before I realized that they would not work on my model 2 Saturn, so that really pissed me off (esp. since they have nice extras, like remixed music for Outrun). So I am going to have to sell them now to recoup my loss. At least with Saturn games, I always know there are buyers out there.
Hiroshi Mishima wrote:must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.
Image

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.27.12 11:16pm

If they were competent controls and camera angles wouldn't far fewer people complain about them? :P
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Emperor Ing

User avatar

Nightmare
 
Posts: 5149
Joined: 12.27.07 1:22pm
Location: ENGAGING RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.28.12 12:01am

Not necessarily.

You make the false equivocation that "lots of people on the internet complain about something; ergo, it's bad."

You should be old enough and savvy enough of the internet to know that's not true. Otherwise, it would be a fact that Majora's Mask is a shitty Zelda game because of its time mechanic (not true).

The controls aren't bad because in fact, they work. Do they work if you want to play an action game? Then no, because you won't find action-game controls.

The controls and camera angles in the classic REs work in tandem to reinforce the fact that you are playing a survival horror game. Inasmuch as you are outnumbered, you don't know what is hiding behind the corner (and you can't fiddle around with the camera to cheat and get a heads-up), and that you are in a tense atmosphere that requires slow-going punctuated by frenzied flight from danger (often as you try to frantically remember the path to a nearest safe-zone). Without these factors, the survival-horror isn't there. The games are designed around putting you in tense situations and the controls work remarkably well in that regard. Not because they are "bad" but because they don't over-power you. The game is out to get you, as opposed to you out to get the game (see the difference with RE4: you strive to kill everything in that game, regardless of the enemies directly inhibiting your progress or not. In RE2, you'd never dare to that for most of the game* because ammo is far too scarce, and the enemies far too strong).

In that sense, the games are loads of fun as you try to fight your way through the mansions, police stations, and deserted cities of the RE games. The fun comes from, again, not the "action game" fun of being in total control of the environment, but because you aren't in control, and that rushing into things only gets you killed.

*towards the end of the game, however, Capcom must have known just how much tension you had gone through to get to that point because it dumps ammo on you to a ridiculous degree. It actually acts as a great moment of catharsis, as for the first time in the game you are feasibly powerful enough to fight back effectively against all the zombies, lickers, and so on. It's a great moment in the game.
Hiroshi Mishima wrote:must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.
Image

kronoridley

Kraid
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 08.29.10 11:50am
Location: Sector 3 (Also known as Saudi Arabia)

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby kronoridley » 04.28.12 12:40am

Honestly I always thought the controls were just fine and that I sucked. After reading more people's comments....I realized that I am not the only one who sucks at the classic RE games! :P

Oh, and I'm getting rather sick of hearing people throw around "RE4 is not scary". It had amazing atmosphere and high levels of tension seeing as how you never now what will come up next, not to mention the Regeneradors (spelled like that if I remember right...). It sure was a hell of a lot scarier than Dead Space, that's for sure....
Image

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.28.12 8:53am

I realize that not everything on the Internet is fact, believe me I've seen some stupid massively-held opinions. I don't think Resident Evil is a bad game. I like it and I'm trying to finish it I just personally find the controls and shortage of save abilities frustrating rather than scary, if only because I have a full time job and live with my girlfriend. I make it a habit to not play games while she's there unless she is playing with me or she's doing something else... If you don't give a woman your full attention how can you ever expect to get hers? Ergo, I don't have a lot of time to play so the above mentioned issues are working against my lifestyle.

I personally think a frightening survival horror game could be made well with Dead Space-esque controls. Just limit the ammo and just make every encounter feel like it could be your last, use a sense of dread a lot and only use jump scares very rarely. It's the feeling of isolation, dread, and overwhelming odds that make for good horror. Don't give us Gears of War.

I guess that's my issue. I dont hate the game or dislike it. Just certain aspects of it.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

kronoridley

Kraid
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 08.29.10 11:50am
Location: Sector 3 (Also known as Saudi Arabia)

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby kronoridley » 04.28.12 9:55am

HYRUL3 wrote:only use jump scares very rarely
And you pretty much summed up why Dead Space isn't scary: Every godamn encounter tries to be a jump scare with the enemy usually literally jumping onto the screen and a loud musical note played every other time it happens, unlike in RE4 where enemies will casually walk onto the screen, causing situations where you could turn around and all of a sudden see someone swinging a scythe at you.

And yeah, I'll admit that RE's control scheme is a bit of a "love it or hate it" thing. I personally have no problems with the controls at all, and think they add to the horror aspect seeing how it makes even the weakest enemies a force to be reckoned with. It might just piss some people off instead of scare them, but in the end I think it depends on how much they like it in the first place.
Image

Schrau wrote:Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

HYRUL3

User avatar

SA-X
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: 10.24.10 11:39pm
Location: New England

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.28.12 11:20am

I agree about Dead Space. I love the series, but it's not horror to me. I felt like I could survive almost any encounter save for the larger creatures and still have enough ammo to be safe a bit longer.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

fox mulder

User avatar

Ridley
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: 08.25.09 6:55pm

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby fox mulder » 04.28.12 5:00pm

Oh, so I AM in the What are you playing thread, I thought I had missed something.
Okay.
Got Tales of the Abyss (3DS) today, and I'm enjoying it so far. I wish it made more of an initiative to violently pull me into the narrative, but Last Story's out soon so I don't have to wait forever.
deviantART Profile
It's not much, but any comments and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

PreviousNext

Return to General Videogame Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest