Languages

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Languages

Postby Xandalf » 08.07.15 3:44pm

Hallo, ich bin Xandalf. I noticed, no language topic? (Unless if I didn't search deep enough.) Mind as well create one then!

So anybody out there speak multiple languages? Honestly I don't know many languages, so it might be silly of me to start this topic. :P I know fluent English, and we all should, and I know a little bit of German and Spanish. I actually learn most Spanish unwillingly actually. Mostly through others speaking Spanish and multiple media that decide to push everybody into learning Spanish.
I picked up on German many years ago. At the time, I was using a disc program... thing. I don't know where it is. It's aimed at children much younger than me so it might not be so helpful after all. It wasn't until recently that I decided to pick back up on German, and I've gotten pretty far for only learning for one day! One of my friends is teaching me it now. I think it's a lot easier and nicer that way, and on top of that I can ask questions where as I can't on a program.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Languages

Postby Zynux » 08.07.15 4:23pm

Tried to learn Spanish in college somewhat but failed.

I don't have the patience or motivation. Which is a shame, since knowing multiple languages is a great asset to have.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 08.07.15 6:14pm

I took Latin in high school so needless to say I'm very cultured and useful to have around in foreign countries. My sister however went the useless route and got a linguistics degree and speaks a few different languages.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 08.08.15 12:05am

Because of the particular part of the world I was born and grew up in, I got exposed to a at least four languages.
The first would be the local creole language which sounds like a very watered-down Spanish. It was only later that they started teaching the language in earlier schools so I'm not trained to spell in it. Because of the similarities with Spanish, I follow the Spanish rules for spelling.
The second language would be Dutch. It's a former Dutch colony and is the official language of the island.
The third language would be English. I first started to gain skill in it from watching TV which we only started to get in 4th or 5th grade. I forget which.
The fourth would be Spanish. First had it in 6th grade and stopped getting it on the after 8th grade.

English and Dutch are mandatory throughout general education. Spanish is not. Because of the link between book reading and languages, there was PLENTY of incentives to do the bare minimum for languages so that took Spanish out of the picture. French was also on the table.

With regards to media, I got plenty of exposure to English from TV, video games and perhaps most importantly: the internet. I've read countless articles on the internet as a teen and even now. TV also exposed me to quite a bit of Spanish as well. Some of the commercials were in Spanish despite the shows being in English and some of my favorite shows were dubbed in Latino Spanish. Many of the animes that aired on Toonami and Cartoon Network as a whole were Latino Dubs. These include but are probably not limited to DBZ, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Saint Seiya... There were other "girly animes" that I also remember being dubbed in Latino Spanish. There were a handful of animes that were dubbed in Portuguese. Probably Brazilian Portuguese.

Another thing is that I have Latino relatives who I sometimes see. These would be my father's two siblings-in-law: one of them is Venezuelan and the other Peruvian. I do have another aunt-in-law on my mother's side but she's living in Perú with my uncle. Apart from that, my dad's parents were immigrants: one having been born in The Netherlands and the other born in Suriname -- also a former Dutch colony.

My weakest language has to be Spanish. I could type it fairly well but that's only because I have time to spell check and look up words.

Hola, chicos. ¿Cuantos de ustedes hablan español? Quizás ellos de California o hasta de Texas pueden entender pero no es cierto. Estoy informado que hay muchos latinos que están viviendo por ahí.

Hoewel ben ik zeker genoeg dat er niemand van Nederland of enkele van de eilanden in de Konikrijk der Nederland hier is. Maar ja. :/

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 08.09.15 5:55am

Actively speaking would only be dutch, as I'm born and living in the Netherlands. But I think I can handle myself with english and a bit of german. Did have french classes at school (30 years ago), but a few words aside I can't understand it.

@Remnants: er is toch iemand uit NL hier ;)
Grt. Merlin

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 08.09.15 10:20am

Actively speaking would only be dutch, as I'm born and living in the Netherlands. But I think I can handle myself with english and a bit of german. Did have french classes at school (30 years ago), but a few words aside I can't understand it.

@Remnants: er is toch iemand uit NL hier ;)
Ooh. It even says out in the open that you're located there. You'd think I'd remember such a detail... -_-;

Dutch people on the internet are somewhat rare but are nonetheless there. I've come across more than a handful over the years. Speaking of The Netherlands, I've heard that around 90% of the people living there can speak English fairly well.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 08.10.15 1:27am

That sounds true. I was in Amsterdam for a few days and I never spoke to anyone who didn't sound fluent in English.

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 08.11.15 3:49am

Dutch people on the internet are somewhat rare but are nonetheless there. I've come across more than a handful over the years. Speaking of The Netherlands, I've heard that around 90% of the people living there can speak English fairly well.
"Fairly well" is the right expression, many try their best. Unlike germans and maybe french, we don't dub series and movies. Easier for common folks to pick up some english when not learned at school. As for internet, there're lots of dutch using it .. just maybe not international fora. Social media is strongly present though.

Back ot, there's another language in the Netherlands: Fries. It's nothing like dutch or slang, it's a recognized seperate language. I can't speak or understand it.
Grt. Merlin

Return to “%s” General Discussions