New Information on Addiction -- not exclusive to drugs

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Remnants

Metroid Queen

New Information on Addiction -- not exclusive to drugs

Postby Remnants » 11.02.15 10:52pm

Haven't I brought up something akin to this in the past? Maybe in other threads. Anyway, let's put this in the spotlight and see where this takes us.

We all have some first or second-hand idea on what addiction is whether we have one ourself or if we know someone who does. As the title says, this isn't exclusive to just drugs. In fact, people can become addicted to eating, to shopping, to alcohol, workaholism is also a thing but there's also addiction to video games and to the internet (this includes social media). Given this is an internet forums for gamers essentially, any one of us could be in the first or second latter category. So yeah, each of us may or may not have some experience with addiction. "Just five more minutes" can turn into an hour. You get the idea, hopefully.

Here's a video that very concisely explains key points on studies and information on addiction that hasn't been on the media radar.

And that's basically what I have to present here. All things considered, what is your opinion on the matter? What is it about the information you find particularly striking or interesting? Do you feel as though a lot is explained or that it leaves much to be desired?

Optional:
If you would like more information on addiction, please see the following video. It's basically the same as the above but more elaborated on.

---

For those wanting to get to the more nitty-gritty nuts-and-bolts side to addiction

Last edited by Remnants on 11.03.15 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: New Information on Addiction -- not exclusive to drugs

Postby Zynux » 11.02.15 11:54pm

This seems somewhat obvious. While the substance itself plays a part scientifically, most don't get hooked on drugs or alcohol alone just because of them. A lot of people seem to seek these substances because of some inner desire they are trying to fill in their life.

It's the same reason as to why people binge eat, reason why people will waste their lives on the couch watching TV, or people who will keep buying that one video game conveniently in times of depression.

With that said, I don't believe there is any realistic solution to it since our society is advancing more technologically, thus I expect personal relations to continue to deteriorate and people's lives to focus more on work related activities. This will increase the desire to find solace in other things, both positive and harmful.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 11.03.15 12:42am

This seems somewhat obvious. While the substance itself plays a part scientifically, most don't get hooked on drugs or alcohol alone just because of them. A lot of people seem to seek these substances because of some inner desire they are trying to fill in their life.

It's the same reason as to why people binge eat, reason why people will waste their lives on the couch watching TV, or people who will keep buying that one video game conveniently in times of depression.

With that said, I don't believe there is any realistic solution to it since our society is advancing more technologically, thus I expect personal relations to continue to deteriorate and people's lives to focus more on work related activities. This will increase the desire to find solace in other things, both positive and harmful.
Perhaps so... but think about it. What implications would this have for you personally for when you see either yourself or another person afflicted with addiction of whatever sort?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.03.15 3:03pm

Perhaps so... but think about it. What implications would this have for you personally for when you see either yourself or another person afflicted with addiction of whatever sort?
I'm pretty sure I'm already afflicted, I spend a great deal of my time on my computer and have for years.

I probably could have gotten a lot more done in life otherwise.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.03.15 4:42pm

To me addiction is all about will power.
Or the lack there of. If one wants to do something over and over they will.

But the thing is addictions can be broken. Some easier than others but it's possible.
Almost everyone in 1st world countries are addicted to their cell phones.
Some people are lost without them. It's how society is moving forward which I find sad.
Soon we will be like the ppl on that ship in Wallie.

Not saying I'm perfect. I have addictions too but it's how I see it.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Return to “%s” General Discussions