The Star Wars thread!!

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Chris

Kraid

Re: The Star Wars thread!!

Postby Chris » 08.16.15 8:40am

Looks horrible, you sure it's not fan art?

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 09.07.15 7:37pm

I've never said "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!" until now. O_O

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.10.15 1:32pm

Looks horrible, you sure it's not fan art?
That is the official poster. It doesn't look too dissimilar from previous posters, in fact it's the same artist. I like it.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Passion

Egg

Postby Passion » 10.17.15 11:54pm

Anyone saw the latest episode of Rebels yet?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 10.18.15 12:57am

I've yet to start on Rebels. I'm giving it time to develop and see if it's worth my while. I ultimately likes Clone Wars but that took several seasons to improve. Then it all ended unceremoniously in the Disney acquisition. I've heard Rebels to be far more childish than Clone Wars. Hopefully it grows out of that as its predecessor did, as it wasn't until the show started taking itself marginally more seriously that I found it worth watching.

Passion

Egg

Postby Passion » 10.18.15 3:35pm

I've yet to start on Rebels. I'm giving it time to develop and see if it's worth my while. I ultimately likes Clone Wars but that took several seasons to improve. Then it all ended unceremoniously in the Disney acquisition. I've heard Rebels to be far more childish than Clone Wars. Hopefully it grows out of that as its predecessor did, as it wasn't until the show started taking itself marginally more seriously that I found it worth watching.
The Clone Wars basically what got me into Star Wars in the first place. Back in '08, when my younger bro borrowed the movie version from our school library, I wasn't quite interested in it...but when I heard about the TV series, I decided to give it a go. All of a sudden, I got really into it, and Ahsoka and Bo Katan became my fave characters. I began to do a bunch of research on Star Wars in general afterwards. When I heard that Disney bought Star Wars, I was a bit shocked especially of what would happened to TCW. And I do agree with you on the fact that the show never finished telling its story. Even though The Lost Missions was released on Netflix, it still wasn't enough; to me, the only important arcs are the Order 66 and the Yoda arc...the rest are pretty much fillers.

As for Rebels, I was kinda concerned on how the show's gonna work out, but it gets better as the series progresses. At first, it was a bit kiddish...
until a few characters gets killed off.

Passion

Egg

Postby Passion » 10.20.15 1:23pm

Here's the newest trailer. Enjoy!

If the video above doesn't show up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 10.21.15 3:01pm

Here's the newest trailer. Enjoy!

If the video above doesn't show up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Though I was not a member here when you were around the first time, welcome back!

As for 'The Force Awakens', the excitement is palpable! My dad took me to see ROTJ in the theater when I was 6 years old. Now I'll be taking my own kids to see a proper Star Wars movie in the theater (Episode III and that animated one with Jabba's kid don't count) x_x

One more thing, when posting a youtube link, be sure to delete the "s" from the https, otherwise the link won't work.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 12.18.15 1:46pm

So here we go. I saw The Force Awakens last night and I will put my thoughts in Spoilers.
I like the movie, its good. DEFINITELY better than the prequels. However I think in its pursuit to remain familiar to the original trilogy they ended up using similar plot and it made the movie very "safe". It was a safe play the story wasn't necessarily revolutionary.

The characters though? I liked them all. Finn is great and adds a nice touch to the cast as a relatable "normal" kind of guy. Which is surprising considering he was abducted when he was young and brainwashed to be a Stormtrooper. I also really like Po, the resistance's ace fighter pilot. I was wondering who would replace Wedge as the ace pilot considering his actor didn't come back but they invented a new character that I actually quite like.

You know in some games you meet a cool person in the Tutorial that ends up dying? Thats how it felt when we didn't know what happened to Po in that crash. But I had a feeling he would come back anyways. Its nice to see the Ace fighter pilot in the movie get more screen time. Wedge's character might have benefited more from it.

As for Kylo Ren, well I've got a lot of theories and speculation on him but I'll leave that for another time. Is he a bit whiny and spoiled? Yes. When he took his mask off the first time I didn't really like him but I grew into it and eventually said that he is like a cross between Vader and Snape. In fact the scene where hes trying to read Rey's mind to find the map is sort of straight from HP in the sense that Snape was training Harry but Harry turned the tables and invaded his mind instead. Which is how Rey knew of Kylo's insecurity of "not being as good as Vader".

I will say though, I didn't like how she escaped. When she tried the mind trick the first time I said to myself "this better not fucking work." It didn't, then she tried again and it worked. I call bullshit on that. I don't think shes anywhere familiar enough with the force and probably didn't even know she could use it up to that point. But that is just one of my things that I hate in storytelling though. Somehow a character pulls a new ability out of their ass and everything works out. But that is just me. Luke at least had some training with Ben before the Death Star battle.

Which brings me to Finn when he first wielded the lightsaber. Non-Force Adept people (I say Non-Force Adept because from my memory there is nothing saying he can use the force.) CAN use a Lightsaber but its supposed to be kind of tricky. He kills one Stormtrooper which was easy of course but I am GLAD they made him lose that melee fight with the other Stormtrooper. It is Finn's first time wielding the Lightsaber. He isn't (or shouldn't) trump someone that has more melee experience. While the Stormtrooper did get killed, he clearly won the fight and would have (at least) knocked Finn out without outside intervention.

But lets get to Han. Han dying was, well, sort of expected. Originally I (and some friends) thought Han would die but then we changed it to thinking Luke would show up sooner and get killed instead. Turned out Luke didn't show up until the last scene (and one other small scene). Was Han dying emotional? Yeah, and I felt that scene could have turned out differently had it not gone dark. Unless Kylo is really that manipulative.

Oh and the Super Mega Planet Star Killer 5000 feels like overkill. Was its operation and appearance unique to the Death Star? Yeah, but its still essentially the same plot line.

Overall? The movie felt good, it felt like the original trilogy with a lot of new mixed in and I am looking forward to seeing how the characters progress into the next movie.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 12.21.15 11:56pm

So here we go. I saw The Force Awakens last night and I will put my thoughts in Spoilers.
I like the movie, its good. DEFINITELY better than the prequels. However I think in its pursuit to remain familiar to the original trilogy they ended up using similar plot and it made the movie very "safe". It was a safe play the story wasn't necessarily revolutionary.

The characters though? I liked them all. Finn is great and adds a nice touch to the cast as a relatable "normal" kind of guy. Which is surprising considering he was abducted when he was young and brainwashed to be a Stormtrooper. I also really like Po, the resistance's ace fighter pilot. I was wondering who would replace Wedge as the ace pilot considering his actor didn't come back but they invented a new character that I actually quite like.

You know in some games you meet a cool person in the Tutorial that ends up dying? Thats how it felt when we didn't know what happened to Po in that crash. But I had a feeling he would come back anyways. Its nice to see the Ace fighter pilot in the movie get more screen time. Wedge's character might have benefited more from it.

As for Kylo Ren, well I've got a lot of theories and speculation on him but I'll leave that for another time. Is he a bit whiny and spoiled? Yes. When he took his mask off the first time I didn't really like him but I grew into it and eventually said that he is like a cross between Vader and Snape. In fact the scene where hes trying to read Rey's mind to find the map is sort of straight from HP in the sense that Snape was training Harry but Harry turned the tables and invaded his mind instead. Which is how Rey knew of Kylo's insecurity of "not being as good as Vader".

I will say though, I didn't like how she escaped. When she tried the mind trick the first time I said to myself "this better not fucking work." It didn't, then she tried again and it worked. I call bullshit on that. I don't think shes anywhere familiar enough with the force and probably didn't even know she could use it up to that point. But that is just one of my things that I hate in storytelling though. Somehow a character pulls a new ability out of their ass and everything works out. But that is just me. Luke at least had some training with Ben before the Death Star battle.

Which brings me to Finn when he first wielded the lightsaber. Non-Force Adept people (I say Non-Force Adept because from my memory there is nothing saying he can use the force.) CAN use a Lightsaber but its supposed to be kind of tricky. He kills one Stormtrooper which was easy of course but I am GLAD they made him lose that melee fight with the other Stormtrooper. It is Finn's first time wielding the Lightsaber. He isn't (or shouldn't) trump someone that has more melee experience. While the Stormtrooper did get killed, he clearly won the fight and would have (at least) knocked Finn out without outside intervention.

But lets get to Han. Han dying was, well, sort of expected. Originally I (and some friends) thought Han would die but then we changed it to thinking Luke would show up sooner and get killed instead. Turned out Luke didn't show up until the last scene (and one other small scene). Was Han dying emotional? Yeah, and I felt that scene could have turned out differently had it not gone dark. Unless Kylo is really that manipulative.

Oh and the Super Mega Planet Star Killer 5000 feels like overkill. Was its operation and appearance unique to the Death Star? Yeah, but its still essentially the same plot line.

Overall? The movie felt good, it felt like the original trilogy with a lot of new mixed in and I am looking forward to seeing how the characters progress into the next movie.
Took my 16 year old son and his friend to see The Force Awakens yesterday afternoon. Like you, I'll spoiler everything from here on.
I was on a total media black out from midnight on the 18th until yesterday afternoon when I saw the film. It is somewhat universally accepted at this point that this is a very good movie. Derivative of A New Hope? Sure. Was it executed extremely well? Without a doubt. Both Boyega and Ridley were fantastic. They did exactly what they had to do: They made you care about them. It feels like there is a great back story for Rey and miles of road for the both of them to grow into the heroes they were clearly born to be. These two will (and have already, no doubt) bring in a new generation of Star Wars fans. For the long term good of this franchise, we couldn't have hoped for more.

But let's get down to brass tax.

Though I believed that this was going to be Harrison Ford's last Star Wars movie, as he originally wanted Lucas to kill Han off in Return of the Jedi, his death scene still had a genuinely emotional impact on me. Like countless millions of kids who grew up in the 70's and 80's, Han Solo was OUR action hero. From 1983 on we've been able to think about Mr. and Mrs. Solo (and Chewie) flying around the galaxy, having limitless adventures in our imaginations. They were, in a way, immortal in our minds. Watching Han die, at the hands of his own son... in a word, it hurt. It hurt pretty bad. Chewie's scream, a mixture of terror and indescribable grief, just about sent me over the edge. Man that would have been mightily embarrassing in front of my son and his buddy. I held it together then, but the sting is definitely still there. And now it's canon. Once that happened, it can never be undone. The finality of it... even now there's a 6 year old kid inside me who just can't believe that Han is gone.

Do I understand the necessity of it? From a practical standpoint, of course. Harrison Ford is certainly not immortal, and the day will come when he is no longer with us. Star Wars fans would reject off-hand a replacement Han Solo in this story arc. From a plot standpoint? At least in part. That we know exactly where and when Han died; that he gave his life in perhaps the most noble of ways (trying to save his son), and not his own skin; that he and Leia reconciled before the end; that he and Chewie effectively hand picked the next pilot of the Falcon in Rey, makes it just a little bit easier to accept.

I will absolutely go see this again in the theater, and will no doubt see things that I missed the first time around. In the same way that I trusted Peter Jackson to deliver with The Two Towers after seeing The Fellowship of the Ring, I trust Abrams to deliver with Episode VIII, provided Disney is wise enough to tap him when the time comes.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 12.22.15 1:19am

Took my 16 year old son and his friend to see The Force Awakens yesterday afternoon. Like you, I'll spoiler everything from here on.
I was on a total media black out from midnight on the 18th until yesterday afternoon when I saw the film. It is somewhat universally accepted at this point that this is a very good movie. Derivative of A New Hope? Sure. Was it executed extremely well? Without a doubt. Both Boyega and Ridley were fantastic. They did exactly what they had to do: They made you care about them. It feels like there is a great back story for Rey and miles of road for the both of them to grow into the heroes they were clearly born to be. These two will (and have already, no doubt) bring in a new generation of Star Wars fans. For the long term good of this franchise, we couldn't have hoped for more.

But let's get down to brass tax.

Though I believed that this was going to be Harrison Ford's last Star Wars movie, as he originally wanted Lucas to kill Han off in Return of the Jedi, his death scene still had a genuinely emotional impact on me. Like countless millions of kids who grew up in the 70's and 80's, Han Solo was OUR action hero. From 1983 on we've been able to think about Mr. and Mrs. Solo (and Chewie) flying around the galaxy, having limitless adventures in our imaginations. They were, in a way, immortal in our minds. Watching Han die, at the hands of his own son... in a word, it hurt. It hurt pretty bad. Chewie's scream, a mixture of terror and indescribable grief, just about sent me over the edge. Man that would have been mightily embarrassing in front of my son and his buddy. I held it together then, but the sting is definitely still there. And now it's canon. Once that happened, it can never be undone. The finality of it... even now there's a 6 year old kid inside me who just can't believe that Han is gone.

Do I understand the necessity of it? From a practical standpoint, of course. Harrison Ford is certainly not immortal, and the day will come when he is no longer with us. Star Wars fans would reject off-hand a replacement Han Solo in this story arc. From a plot standpoint? At least in part. That we know exactly where and when Han died; that he gave his life in perhaps the most noble of ways (trying to save his son), and not his own skin; that he and Leia reconciled before the end; that he and Chewie effectively hand picked the next pilot of the Falcon in Rey, makes it just a little bit easier to accept.

I will absolutely go see this again in the theater, and will no doubt see things that I missed the first time around. In the same way that I trusted Peter Jackson to deliver with The Two Towers after seeing The Fellowship of the Ring, I trust Abrams to deliver with Episode VIII, provided Disney is wise enough to tap him when the time comes.
Looking back, I didn't really like Rey all that much and it wasn't because of Ridley. Her acting is fine its just Rey is written to either be too Mary Sue-ish or her background wasn't explained enough.

So Rey supposedly spends 20 years of her life on Jakku. Probably doing odd jobs but mostly scavenging. Scavenging gives her good knowledge on being a mechanic and how ships work. That I totally get.

Its not said why she is good at melee combat but its only natural that somehow she needed to teach herself how to fight in order to be by herself like she was.

To the writing's credit she didn't fly the Millenium Falcon flawlessly but she did still do pretty well. Enough to out maneuver a few Tie fighters. Which honestly if they wanted that scene to happen then a better alternative would have been to have Poe stick around and meet Rey earlier on and HIM be the one flying the Falcon to get away from the fighters. Poe would then have more screen time and we would see Rey, Poe, and Finn on screen together interacting for a longer period of time.

Then we come to the force powers. I don't have a problem with her being able to use the force and maybe the lightsaber vision and resisting Kylo's mind probing tipped her off. But I still don't think she should be able to pull off some of the stuff she did. The mind trick on the storm trooper? How would she know how to do that? Beating Kylo Ren in a duel by tapping into her sense? Kylo has at LEAST had training he should have won that duel to be honest. Even if he is young, immature, and irrational.

But that is my opinion but a lot of others find her to be too good for a lot of thing.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 12.22.15 10:11pm

After posting this I realized that there's not much in my post that's spoiler worthy. Still, given how careful I was to not expose myself to any media prior to seeing the film, I'd hate for someone to think that I gave something away before they had a chance to see it.
Dartison; I've thought quite a bit about the movie over the past two days and, like you, I think that there are scenes that I would have dealt with differently. And then I think that there are maybe half a billion people out there just like me who have seen or will see this movie and that each one of them would want to tweak this movie, not unlike someone making changes to a recipe to suit his/her own taste. As I'm getting older and coming to terms with the very real possibility that my opinion is no more or less valid that anyone else's :/ I have decided that it's going to be best for me to simply accept the film the way that it is. Perhaps subsequent viewings will help me see the wisdom in some of the decisions that were made that I don't necessarily care for.

I'll go back to the point that I was trying to make yesterday in that where this film really, really triumphs is that it is going to bring a whole new generation of fans into the Star Wars universe. Credit Ridley and Boyega who could not have done a better job. You're right in that we don't know much about Rey's past, but for my money that's a good thing. There's so much ground there left to cover with her that I'm genuinely looking forward to learning her back story. You also get the sense that both Rey and Finn have a great deal of growing to do, something that Lucas did very well with both Luke and Han in the original trilogy. There's definitely a hero in Finn, even if he doesn't realize it yet.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 11.26.16 7:02am

I know, double posts are very much frowned upon here. I even debated posting this to the cool video/youtube thread to avoid the scolding that's forthcoming. I'll argue that the last post on this thread was nearly a year ago and that with Rogue One just around the corner, it's time to bring this one back to life. :-P A buddy of mine posted this on Facebook and I've had the tune in my head all morning. Hysterical!

Apothem, Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:
Last edited by Khyron on 11.26.16 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.26.16 11:00am

We've clarified this before but it bears repeating: We only discourage double posting when the previous post could've still been edited. It's to prevent the same person from continuously bumping a thread in short order, basically talking to themselves. It's more a nuisance than a punishable offense. What's more, we've nothing against bumping old threads either, so long as whatever's posted is in someway relevant.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 12.18.16 12:45pm

Rogue One. I won't go in depth at all and will spoiler everything important. What I can say to everyone is that this is a must see in the theater.
Going into this movie knowing that the outcome was inevitable was a very different movie going experience. Sure, we all knew that that little twerp Annie was going to grow up to be Darth Vader, but that was going to take 10 years or more from the time he's first introduced. Once the opening back story sequence is completed, this movie takes place over a week's time at the absolute most. If it were my film to direct I would have spent more time (maybe even added 5-10 minutes to the film's length) developing a few of the supporting characters, especially the blind monk and his best friend. They are introduced to the film when the monk is able to "see" that Jyn is wearing a necklace. Though Jyn asks him how he knew she was wearing one, we never get to find out why. Similarly, the crew of Rogue One, though very well acted, are characters whose names I'll only learn during subsequent viewings.

What's done right here is REALLY, REALLY right. The battle sequences are hands down the best ever filmed in a Star Wars film. If for no other reason you should go see this film in the theater to experience the assault on the imperial base. Absolutely spectacular from beginning to end. In fact, the third act of this film stands shoulder to shoulder with the best sequences in any of the 7 movies that preceded it.

In terms of mood, this is a darker, much more serious film than what we're used to seeing. In all reality, only Empire is darker. Part of that has to do with the fact that these characters know how important their mission is, and they are appropriately serious. The only comic relief comes from the captured and reprogrammed Imperial droid, K-2S0. Excellent addition to the crew as he delivers deadpan humor at the least appropriate times, turning those moments into the most appropriate times.

Again, though the outcome was a foregone conclusion, the finale was bitter sweet. I certainly won't go into that at all. What I will say that this movie adds a great deal of depth to A New Hope and shows just what the rebellion sacrificed in order to obtain the plans to the Death Star. This film is undeniably canon; I just hope that other fans are prepared for a Magnificent Seven styled space adventure. I award it 4 1/2 missile expansions out of 5.

Return to “%s” General Discussions