#UnpopularOpinions

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Apothem

Re: Things you hate, but everyone else likes

Postby Apothem » 12.08.16 8:36am

I would never pay for fanart.
I wouldn't pay regularly into a Patreon, but I have nothing against purchasing collected works. There are a number of doujin artists whose products I'd gladly purchase if A.) it was made conveniently available outside of the Japanese convention circuit, which it usually isn't, and B.) if it was a quality English translation. Quite a bit of what I follow gets fan-translated, but not always well and certainly not all of it. It's a good thing I can read the language, I guess, as I'd likely be broke about now if my only barrier to entry was a mere purchase.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 12.08.16 9:40pm

Thought of a new thing.

I hate how people hate on startup funding systems like this so much.

I hate when they're bashed. I understand some gain the money and just bail without using that money to create something in return but think about this shovel knight a great indie game was crowd funded through kickstarter, Project eternity AKA pillars of eternity is praised, pateron is a good way for artists (animators, drawers, game makers, video makers, ect.) to make money (the one mentioned previously probably should be making less IMO). There is also more that comes from these systems such as businesses, inventions ect. ect.

I also hate when people abuse those systems and then just bail with the money giving nothing in return ... so If your response was that's the reason why people bash it I already know that happens again just to clear that up.

THE END ... for now at least.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.09.16 8:04am

No one was complaining about the service, they were complaining about some of the types of people who use it. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with crowd funding. If people want to throw their money away on whatever someone is peddling then that's their right to do so.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 12.09.16 5:58pm

I know none of you were. It just came to my mind and its relevant to the main topic

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 12.09.16 6:32pm

To be fair, her work is better quality than other people who have Patreons. There's worse things people can get paid for. Some people make Patreons and have much less talent. Granted it's often a matter of style, but really detailed stuff like this is something that can't be made by just anyone, while general cartoony styles can be done by almost everyone with a little practice.

But $60k? Yeah, that's way too much. My family doesn't even make that much.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.09.16 11:02pm

Crowd funding is easily abused. And I'm not just talking about the services themselves; it's very easy to squeeze money out of people on the internet as a whole I've come to notice. Doesn't mean good doesn't come from it, but overall? Haven't been a fan with how it's often implemented, who often uses it, etc.

Then there's the (very subjective) argument of what people should earn on some crowd funding sites. Major criticisms of Patreons, especially for cult of personalities, that they often reap in tons of money for very little content actually produced.

Is it reasonable to make thousands upon thousands on copyrighted fanart? I don't know. Does asking that questioning just make you jealous because you aren't making all that cash? Again, I don't know. I just know I'm very strict with money, so I would never put out money for that. Good, professional quality fanart is very easy to come by on the internet and people have been doing it since the beginning, so I see no incentive to ever spend a dime. If other's want to spend money on it, then I guess that's their prerogative.

I wouldn't pay regularly into a Patreon, but I have nothing against purchasing collected works. There are a number of doujin artists whose products I'd gladly purchase if A.) it was made conveniently available outside of the Japanese convention circuit, which it usually isn't, and B.) if it was a quality English translation. Quite a bit of what I follow gets fan-translated, but not always well and certainly not all of it. It's a good thing I can read the language, I guess, as I'd likely be broke about now if my only barrier to entry was a mere purchase.
True, having more collector's artbooks would be very nice for instance.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: #UnpopularOpinions

Postby Infinity's End » 07.10.17 7:00pm

Fuck all the N64 WWF games. Not sorry.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Re: #UnpopularOpinions

Postby Big Guy » 07.11.17 12:36am

Did anyone even play them? Also what's with the thread name change?
Hello.

Return to “%s” General Discussions