Official Zelda Thread

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!

Which console are you buying Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Wii U
73%
Switch
18%
Neither
No votes
Both
9%

Total votes : 11

Apothem

Re: Official Zelda Thread

Postby Apothem » 03.25.17 11:32pm

And that was Zelda: Breath of the Wild. A thoroughly engrossing, bewildering, enjoyable, and deeply conflicting experience the likes of which I've never had before with a videogame.

I clocked in more than 200 hours, found all 120 shrines, maxed out my equipment inventory, completed the compendium, found every armor piece, finished every side quest, beat all the minigames, earned all of the horse armor, completed all four Divine Beasts, and exhaustively looted Hyrule Castle. I've done damn near everything one can practically do in the game and I did it all myself, however tedious and aggravating it was. That was a big part of the experience for me. I went in as blind as I could and refused help of any kind. I don't think I've ever so enjoyed just losing myself in a game. I finally understand the allure of all those other open worlds that completely failed to intrigue me.

I would emphatically recommend it to any series, genre, or gaming fan in general but it's not without problems, and many of them are significant.

Quizzically, the more I've played the more I've enjoyed yet also the more annoyed I've become. Breath of the Wild is a good game but not a great one. A 7 / 10 at best. A 5 at worst. It's a solid first effort at a genre I'm honestly not experienced enough with to criticize, but it makes for a mediocre, threadbare Zelda experience. It comes across as a classic 3D Zelda game stretched perilously thin. It's well produced and competent in execution but also feels like a series of half measures never quite excelling in any one area. Of course all of that can be corrected in time. Nintendo did much better than the original Zelda in 2D. They surpassed Ocarina of Time in 3D. They'll eventually surpass Breath of the Wild if they so choose to stick to this new genre, and I certainly hope they do.

Right now I hope they continue to support Breath of the Wild. The game deserves more than what little has been shown of the planned DLC. Without spoiling the ending - not like you all couldn't predict exactly how that happens - the game is left wide open for continuation, almost tauntingly so. After all, it's been 100 years and there's a whole kingdom to rebuild and then some. Nintendo has done direct sequels before but very sparingly. There's plenty of opportunity for a Breath of the Wild 2, and if so I sincerely hope it involves the current Link and Zelda and not another generational skip.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.30.17 10:25pm

I clocked in more than 200 hours, found all 120 shrines, maxed out my equipment inventory, completed the compendium, found every armor piece, finished every side quest, beat all the minigames, earned all of the horse armor, completed all four Divine Beasts, and exhaustively looted Hyrule Castle. I've done damn near everything one can practically do in the game and I did it all myself, however tedious and aggravating it was.
Congrats.
Wish I had the spare time to do all this. I'm about ~100 shrines and ~100 Korok seeds. I put in some long hours right after it came out for a solid 2 weeks, but had to back off after I beat it. It's all endgame stuff for me now, but I do not see myself completing the compendium or finding korok seeds at all. That part just doesn't interest me enough.

I love the game to death, but the menu system UI is utterly bullshit. I can see past the weapon/shield durability (which is also bullshit) if they fixed the damn menu.

I really did not like the ending, even the "true" one, but I especially did not like how Link and Zelda do not show a single shred of affection towards each other, even though they hadn't seen each other in 100 years. That was really frustrating to me. FFS, I give my friends I haven't seen in 10 years a good bro hug if I see them. I'm not asking for a big make out session, but C'MON you can't give each other a friendly embrace for a few seconds?!? Yeah, they weren't exactly "friends" but their lives were still very deeply intertwined. You don't just keep your distance with people. You have connections whether you hate them or not. And Zelda didn't hate Link, he saved her life and then she saved his life. They clearly cared about each other, even though it was their "duty."

There were so many times during all those cutscenes that I was hoping Link would just blurt out WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!

Looking forward to the DLC as well. I just hope they can keep it exciting and fresh.

Oh here's something I made.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 04.05.17 6:46am

AONUMA STATES THAT OPEN-WORLD ZELDA WILL BE THE STANDARD FROM NOW ON

Remember when he said that MotionPlus controls were going to be the standard control scheme for Zelda after Skyward Sword? I would take this with a grain of salt.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 04.05.17 1:38pm

True, but Breath of the Wild has so far estimated to have sold in it's first month alone nearly 2 million units across platforms, almost as many units as Skyward Sword moved in its first year. Verifiable sales data is as of yet forthcoming, but it's clear BotW is already far more popular than SS. Add to that the increasing prevalence of open world games and Aonuma's statement seems far more sound.

I hope we do get more like BotW. I dearly want to see those faults ironed out through iteration. However, I don't believe it's the only direction for Zelda to go in. Ocarina of Time didn't kill off the classic top-down perspective. There's no reason for Breath of the Wild to kill off its predecessors either. That then begs a question I've had bouncing around my noggin for years now: Will the Switch's hybrid nature kill off the handheld market that thrived on 3DS through audience demand for console quality experiences, or will those smaller games still have a place to thrive in the new ecosystem? If so then we likely won't see many - or at all any - Zelda spinoffs like we have in the past, functionally killing off previous templates in favor of more open world exploration. If not then we're likely to get more classic and possibly even OoT styled games in between major releases.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 04.18.17 5:32am

Pretty good outside of some graphical gliches.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.30.17 5:28pm

A reminder that the first DLC pack for Breath of the Wild is out now. Here's what it contains, for those unaware.

I'm holding out on it, because I don't want to pay $20 for the pack now when I'm gonna get it on my Switch in a couple of months. In fact, I regret getting the game digitally, because I could've traded it in and gotten some credit towards Metroid.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.30.17 9:24pm

I'm holding out for the story DLC. Really hoping they do something good with that but the precedent set so far hasn't been promising. This Master Mode does nothing for me. I hated the combat in BotW, even after I broke the weapon system. I did everything I could to avoid combat until I incidentally trivialized it. The last thing I'd want to do is arbitrarily ramp up the difficulty and slow my progress to a crawl. This'll be good for those who like playing to the extreme but that simply isn't me.

I also find that I can't bring myself to play through the game again. I completed so much of it my first time through and spent so much time with it that I know Hyrule like the back of my hand. Simply starting over isn't going to freshen that experience any. That's why I want more substantial DLC. We have no idea what form the story expansion will take this fall, other than it focusing on the champions to some extent, but it has me excited as it gives me something new to play. Breath of the Wild is a decent but flawed foundation that deserves expansion. I'd love to see more content for the game next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo put it to rest and move on. I think that would be a grave mistake. This is the most popular Zelda has been in years. They could easily keep BotW going through expansions and / or sequels but they most likely won't.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.02.17 2:56pm

I'm holding out for the story DLC. Really hoping they do something good with that but the precedent set so far hasn't been promising. This Master Mode does nothing for me. I hated the combat in BotW, even after I broke the weapon system. I did everything I could to avoid combat until I incidentally trivialized it. The last thing I'd want to do is arbitrarily ramp up the difficulty and slow my progress to a crawl. This'll be good for those who like playing to the extreme but that simply isn't me.

I also find that I can't bring myself to play through the game again. I completed so much of it my first time through and spent so much time with it that I know Hyrule like the back of my hand. Simply starting over isn't going to freshen that experience any. That's why I want more substantial DLC. We have no idea what form the story expansion will take this fall, other than it focusing on the champions to some extent, but it has me excited as it gives me something new to play. Breath of the Wild is a decent but flawed foundation that deserves expansion. I'd love to see more content for the game next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo put it to rest and move on. I think that would be a grave mistake. This is the most popular Zelda has been in years. They could easily keep BotW going through expansions and / or sequels but they most likely won't.
The problem with having such an open game where the player is free to do or not do anything they want and still complete the game is that your story and character capabilities are handicapped. It's hard for there to be a true sense of story progression when each part of the story is completely isolated from all the others. Unlike in previous Zeldas, where there can be character development and escalation. There's no real rising action in Breath of the Wild. After the introduction, all the other main quest business is more or less a flat line that's really just a checklist more than anything. There is no more additional tension, there are no twists, there is no character development, it's all one-dimensional. Once you leave the plateau, you can skip right to the climax.

For the story DLC to be above that, it'd have to break the gameplay design and opt for a linear set of quests that follow a basic plot line, which I doubt is going to happen. At the very least we can hope that it'll flesh out the characters more than they are currently, because they were all pretty inconsequential.

There's a trainer for the Wii U version of the game that allows for inventory editing and other cheats, such as infinite weapon durability. It hasn't been updated for 1.3.0 yet, and it definitely requires a bit of setup, but it allows you to get rid of weapon durability altogether, as well as being able to edit in Amiibo items without all the hassle that comes with it.

The unfortunate part about video games is that you only get one first playthrough. Hence why over the years I've taken to ignoring pre-release information as much as I can on certain games so that I get more out of that first playthrough. While Nintendo was doing all sorts of demonstrations of BotW at E3 last year, I ignored it almost completely because I wanted to learn and discover things myself. If only the Trace machine from Trace Memory was real, people could erase their memories of games and start over.

Interestingly, Zelda has a pattern of one game setting a foundation and another expanding and fulfilling it. The first Zelda on NES set the foundation, and Link to the Past expanded upon and fulfilled it. Ocarina of Time set a foundation, and Twilight Princess expanded upon and fulfilled it. If the pattern continues, the successor to Breath of the Wild will be absolutely legendary, though whether we get that or something that detours into a different direction (eg. Zelda II, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker) first is still up in the air.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.07.17 5:26pm

First thing, today GameStop got a stealthy extra shipment of Twilight Princess Link Amiibos. Only about 1 or 2 per store, and not at all stores. I heard they'd be getting some today last night, so I called the GameStop and asked if they were getting any, and the guy there said that it'd been totally delisted from their systems, so that was a no, and I assumed it was only a handful of stores that were getting any, but none near me. Then this morning I checked store availability and it said there were some at my GameStop, so I called again and was told that they had one, and it wasn't on hold yet. I put that thing on hold and was out the door in a minute, got there like five minutes later, and picked it up. They told me that literally right after I called, someone else called about it as well, so I got it just in time.

For anyone here that didn't get one before and still wants one, look online and call your stores ASAP, because they'll likely all be gone before the weekend, if not the day.

Second thing, some new info on the next DLC pack. It's confirmed that we will be playing as Link, and there's a 17 second bit of teaser footage, which seems to imply that it's post-game content, which isn't what I was expecting, but it's definitely intriguing.

EDIT: Oooooooh

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 08.30.17 1:44pm

So, it was three weeks ago that I got BotW. Right off the bat, I can say that investing in heart containers, armor and "tough" meals is a pretty good idea early on. If you're out to learn how to get skilled in fighting, you better be able to take a bunch of hits. After my defensive skills have been honed sufficiently, I'll go ahead and work on my offensive skills.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 08.31.17 8:57am

I never found combat in BotW difficult so I never had trouble staying alive. Instead I went all in on stamina for exploration. It was easy enough to maintain extra hearts with "Hearty" meals then it ever was extra stamina. Armor makes a big difference in survivability. As soon as you're able you should be upgrading armor, especially if you're having trouble staying alive. A useful note on that: Nearly every armor set in the game has the same defensive values with the exception of the Soldier & Ancient sets which have the highest defense and the Sheikh set which has the lowest. Also make sure you upgrade sets twice for a special bonus. That often helps a lot.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion